No announcement yet.

How close is too close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think too many people are worried about getting one out.

Get the deer down first then worry about the work later. At most, you'll only do it 5 times for the entire state of Texas and only once in that county if its got AR restrictions unless you're talking does.

That being said, a good knife (a havalon or tyto) and a set of game bags paired with a pack that can handle quarters goes a long way.

Personally, I don't wanna hunt anywhere else where someone already has if I can help it. Chances are they've left scent, didn't pay attention to their access routes and may or may not have paid attention to thermals/wind/etc. and the deer already have them patterned if they repeatedly hunt the same spot over and over.

Comment

Fort Hood is open to the public. FH has 2 options, Unguided or Guided. The UNguided is for the DIYers-Scout, find your spot and setup. They allow blinds, stands, feeders, etc. SOOO MANY ISSUES on FH. You put in all the work only to walk in one morning and someone is sitting in your stand. Their answer is always "it's public hunting." Lots of LAZY hunters. Stands, cameras, feeders get stolen every year. FH has great deer and huge bucks are killed every season. But, be ready to scout harder than the next guy and be willing to walk much further than everyone else. It can be done. To fill my feeder, I have to make 2-3 trips everytime. I have to carry bags of corn and a ladder to fill feeder. I tried a game cart but I have to cross a deep creek and I always ended up having to take everything off the game cart to get it across the creek. NO ATVs allowed.

Comment

Working...
      X