My Midwest dream come true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Midwest dream come true

Every year we make a trip up to northern Missouri to hunt the rifle opener. Clayton (fullsizeaggie), Chad(Cwbrown) and myself headed up headed up Thursday after work and drove through the night to arrive at claytons FIL farm early Friday morning. We quickly got to work setting up blinds and tree stands. We had a few cameras to check but most either didn’t work or didn’t show anything promising. It was relatively warm for this time of year but rut was in full swing so there is no telling what might show up.

Opening morning was really slow, normally it sound like WW3 but the rifle shots were few and far between. I saw a stud chase a doe across the big bean field but no shot was presented. Day 1 had few sightings of deer and non of us pulled the trigger.

The second day Chad knocked down a great 130 inch heavy 10 pointer and things were looking up. We got him hung in the barn and hunted the rest of the day without much luck.

Monday morning Clayton decided to give up the most northern stand and try a new spot on the farm. About 830 he knocked down a doe that was being chased by a smaller buck. Things were really slow on my end, then I spotted movement about 300 yards away in the neighbors bottom ground. I caught the rear end of a deer walking into some timber. I prayed for just a opportunity just to see what it was. I started scanning the timber line and after 10 minutes I didn’t see anything. I glassed up the hill and saw the brush move and tines started to appear. Out stepped a very mature buck and instantly I new he was a shooter! I tossed my binoculars on the floor and grabbed my rifle and quickly put the cross hairs on his shoulder. I squeezed off a round and the buck mule kicked and disappeared into the next timber line.

The buck fever kicked in and I started shaking. I called chad and told him to come my way as I just put one in a stud. I went to the spot of the impact and couldn’t find any blood. Chad showed up and we started making circles trying to find any sign. After a few minutes doubt started to set in. I decided to head to the timberline and walk the ditch and see what I could find. Moments later I walked up on him! I ran back up the hill to grab chad for the recovery.

When I lifted his head I was in awe. He has everything you would want in a deer. Heavy, long beams, great tines, huge body etc. The celebration begun and I had was now sitting over the biggest deer of my life.

Rough score 163 but I’ll put a official tape on him at the house.

Very thankful to be able to share this with buddies that I’ve hunted with for 20 years! We come a long way from the does and spikes of the old days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir, u done great!!!! [emoji95][emoji106][emoji95] Beautiful beast and looks like he will score more to me.[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Beast of a deer, congrats!!! You boys had a heck of a trip !!

Comment

That my friend is a STUD!

Comment

Incredible buck. Congrats

Comment

Wow congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
              Sir, u done great!!!! [emoji95][emoji106][emoji95] Beautiful beast and looks like he will score more to me.[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
              I used a string that I found on the barn floor🤣 and was a fewish cold ones Deep by the time I was measuring so we will see how he adds up at home lol.

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

Great deer!! Isn't it great when a plan comes together!! Congrats!

Comment

Awesome buck, congrats!

Comment

That is a TOAD!!!!

Congrats!!!

Comment

donk!

Comment

I'm jacked for you man that's a heck of a buck. Lots of great videos to relive those memories too.

Viva Mizery!

Comment

Wow that’s a toad

Comment

Wow! That’s a stud! Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X