What's up with 6.5 Creedmoor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
    6.5 creedmoor is the new 30-06 when it comes to finding ammo...
    It should be a state jail crime to put the great 30-06 in the same sentence with this designer caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
      I'll bet you a dollar a bulk of lost animals are from people taking their range gun to shoot animals at irresponsible distances.
      This is a huge part of why this cartridges reputation is rapidly dwindling and will continue to do so.. Bad shots and wounded animals..
      Because of the greatly inflated hype that propelled this cartridge in the beginning, to many now think they are automatically long range snipers, I know a few.. Quite a few actually.. Most cant even read a ballistics table to even begin to understand what it is actually capable of.. Some are also now seeing that it is not all it is cracked up to be..
      Will it stand the test of time? I doubt it.. It surely wont stand the test of time like the GOAT, the 30-06. Even after 118 years its still in the top 3.
      Last edited by PondPopper; 11-10-2021, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
        This is a huge part of why this cartridges reputation is rapidly dwindling and will continue to do so.. Bad shots and wounded animals..
        Because of the greatly inflated hype that propelled this cartridge in the beginning, to many now think they are automatically long range snipers, I know a few.. Quite a few actually.. Most cant even read a ballistics table to even begin to understand what it is actually capable of.. Some are also now seeing that it is not all it is cracked up to be..
        Will it stand the test of time? I doubt it.. It surely want be as popular as the GOAT, the 30-06. Even after 118 years its still in the top 3.
        I'm not knocking the caliber, I own one, but errrybody wanna shoot their ELD-M's at animals at 800 yards since they ring steel at the range with their CM's.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
          Too many lost animals is what I've heard.....prolly due to bullet performance.....and lack of blood trail?
          I have never shot a 6.5 Creed nor do I know much about it. But last weekend my buddy brings one out, fresh from Gebos with 1/2 box through it at gun range. Ruger American compact with cool little green stock.

Shoots 1st doe in good spot behind shoulder maybe 125 yards and it embeds into far shoulder. She's walking on 3 legs, makes it far enough into woods to not find her (thick yaupon). A few pools of blood here and there but blood eventually stops. Ok, no problem.

Shoots 2nd doe with perfect shot right behind shoulder at 35 yards (from my bow blind). Finds her 150+ yards away with double lung shot. Cow pasture this time so he could see her, but still minimal blood. Definitely would not have been enough blood in woods.

I'm confused how a 143 grain bullet has trouble bringing down doe, but it did. I witnessed it first hand.

Comment

What bullets is he shooting though? That makes a pretty big difference. I bet if that dude was shooting a 130gr SST those doe would have exploded.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
              Ill give it a go. Its a womans or youth round so not very popular with most hunters unless you are just trying to shoot squirrels and cotton tails.
              Don’t forget the tracking dogs if hunting squirrels and bunnies…….

Comment

This is good stuff 😂

Comment

What bullets is he shooting though? That makes a pretty big difference. I bet if that dude was shooting a 130gr SST those doe would have exploded.
                  He doesn't want to sell the gun, so I'll suggest this. Not sure what bullet he was shooting. But wouldn't a bullet with more mass tend to be more lethal (143 vs 130)?

Comment

Originally posted by Burwabit View Post
                    He doesn't want to sell the gun, so I'll suggest this. Not sure what bullet he was shooting. But wouldn't a bullet with more mass tend to be more lethal (143 vs 130)?
                    Definitely not. I see a lot of people on here swearing certain target bullets will work great for hunting and I think it causes some issues. A 143 gr ELDM for example IMO is not a good choice for anything but ear-holing a pig and putting holes in paper, just one example. The double-lung shot you mentioned could be bullet failure or simply a target bullet performing as it's intended, and that goes for any caliber. If you just punch a little hole in the lungs you don't get much damage or blood. Something that expands faster and/or at lower velocities will do much better in that situation. There's not a lot of resistance in a doe's rib cage and lung material to make bullets expand.
                    edit: SST's a 129gr bullet, doesn't matter just wanted to correct myself.
                    Last edited by justletmein; 11-10-2021, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by txheartshot View Post
                      I have a lot of guns in a lot of different calibers, but nothing wrong with a 6.5M. Pics below are from a Hornady 129 SST. Not an elk or a moose, but still a helluva hole through a Texas whitetail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Rage broadheads can do that

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                        Rage broadheads can do that

Ha like I said, I own a lot of calibers, 2 of my guns are 6.5 CM. I’ve had great success with them, but like anything else, shot placement is paramount. I’ll still take my 25-06 or 30-06 over 6.5 CM any day. Just picked up a new Ruger 6.5 Grendel, and I’m looking forward to seeing how it performs. I think it’ll be a great gun for my kids to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah it’s absolutely trash.

Comment

Definitely not. I see a lot of people on here swearing certain target bullets will work great for hunting and I think it causes some issues. A 143 gr ELDM for example IMO is not a good choice for anything but ear-holing a pig and putting holes in paper, just one example. The double-lung shot you mentioned could be bullet failure or simply a target bullet performing as it's intended, and that goes for any caliber. If you just punch a little hole in the lungs you don't get much damage or blood. Something that expands faster and/or at lower velocities will do much better in that situation. There's not a lot of resistance in a doe's rib cage and lung material to make bullets expand.
                            edit: SST's a 129gr bullet, doesn't matter just wanted to correct myself.
                            Makes sense.

He sent me this. Deceiving because it’s called Precision Hunter.

I’ll recommend the SSTs to him.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	DD488AC4-158F-447A-8900-715CBD8A643C.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	24668951

Comment

We had kids that hadn't ever shot a rifle stacking neck shots on a G.I. steel target at 380 with a RPR. Rifle/Cartridge impressed the $&#! Outta me. I want 1 even though I haven't heard anything good hunting game with em. Don't
                              understand the haters/belittling with it. With that being said I talk smack about trucks towing ghost trailers, srry I detoured

Comment

Originally posted by Burwabit View Post
                                Makes sense.

He sent me this. Deceiving because it’s called Precision Hunter.

I’ll recommend the SSTs to him.
                                [ATTACH]1069918[/ATTACH]
                                Yeah I'm on the fence with those. They're supposed to be great but I have them in 200gr 300 WSM and my son popped a Nilgai in the neck and we watched him walk around like nothing happened. Tons of people with 6.5 CM shoot them though and they're considered good hunting ammo.

Comment

Working...
                                X