Question for the drone guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the drone guys

I’m looking for one as a Christmas gift for my son (he will be 12 in January)
    He’s pretty tech savvy but I don’t keep up with technology very well. I want something decent and functional, I think learning how to run one would be good for him. He would use it for taking pics and filming , possibly football games next year for league teams.

Is this a good starter drone? Price seems decent

DJI Mavic Mini Combo - Drone FlyCam Quadcopter UAV with 2.7K Camera 3-Axis Gimbal GPS 30min Flight Time, less than 0.55lbs, Gray
    $399 on Amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep, that one would be great. DJI makes good stuff. The Mini doesn't have as many bells and whistles as the higher end drones, but it's plenty good to start with. Look into the DJI Refresh plan. It's pretty good insurance against wrecking the drone.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
      Yep, that one would be great. DJI makes good stuff. The Mini doesn't have as many bells and whistles as the higher end drones, but it's plenty good to start with. Look into the DJI Refresh plan. It's pretty good insurance against wrecking the drone.

Thanks Shane appreciate the feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
        Definitely look into the DJI refresh plan. I use drones to film football practices at the high school I work at and had to send one in recently. Repair facility is up near Ft. Worth so it got back with in a week.

Comment

If it says DJI, it is pretty much top-of-the-line for over the counter drones. Now if you want to spend $35,000-$200,000……

I own or have flown at work, five different models from DJI. There are some other good drones out there however they don’t offer so many features and so many different models in so many different price ranges as DJI.

The three axis gimbal and flight time are great for that level of a drone. The extra batteries in the combo and the spare props are just about a necessity. The camera will actually take some pretty good photos and video if you are not trying to make a commercial product. Just to put them on a computer screen or smart phone, you will probably be impressed with the quality.

Just a note, DJI advertises this Drone at a weight that does not have to be registered with the FAA. It comes with prop guards however that will put it over that limit if you decided to use them. I don’t usually use them unless I am indoors. I think registration is $5 for three years for hobby use unless it has changed since the last time I registered mine. Also if it is for a hobby (not commercial) you can use the same registration for as many drones as you own (unless it has changed). I couldn’t care less if someone complies with a law and 99% of most people will probably never be checked. It’s just a whatever scenario.

I have read some issues where people complain about drones being flown, even if they are totally legal to fly in that location and the police coming out and checking. It will probably never happen but I go ahead and spend the $5 for three years and I think I currently have three drones on the same registration. Of course if you fly it outdoors without the prop guards, you can make the Karens mad and be completely legal without any registration.

If you actually felt like spending the $5……

Comment

Get him one of these.
            Attached Files

Comment

The Mavic Mini is a great starter drone.

Comment

Buy the Jetson 1, he will love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                  Get him one of these.
                  That's like giving your daughter a pony.

Comment

Working...
                  X