Food Grade Corn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Grade Corn?

Is there really a difference in the corn we buy for deer and livestock and food grade corn? Is the corn we buy at the feed store safe for humans? Thought some of you guys would know. Thanks, ET

Originally posted by wilded View Post
    Is there really a difference in the corn we buy for deer and livestock and food grade corn? Is the corn we buy at the feed store safe for humans? Thought some of you guys would know. Thanks, ET
    Cooked to 160 degrees and almost anything is fine for human consumption. I think its just a quality issue judged at harvest time.

Comment

I survived from 1999-2004 eating my ex wife's food so I'm pretty sure my guts could handle deer corn.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
        I survived from 1999-2004 eating my ex wife's food so I'm pretty sure my guts could handle deer corn.
        I have a buddy that says the exact same thing about his ex....

Comment

field corn, the corn used to feed animals, is also used to make corn syrup, cornmeal, cornstarch and other edible products. the corn we eat as kernels of corn is sweet corn.

Comment

I need the regular yellow corn not sweet corn but was told to get an edible grade. So just wondering?

Comment

Aflatoxins (spelling?)

Comment

Originally posted by wilded View Post
                I need the regular yellow corn not sweet corn but was told to get an edible grade. So just wondering?
                Sounds like somebody's making shine lol.

Comment

Not currently. If I tell you what I want to make you will think I am crazy. I was at a convenience store and there was and older guy behind me in line. I paid for my stuff and went out to the truck where I was getting gas. As I was finishing pumping gas he came over and asked me if I really liked corn nuts as I had bought a bag with my drink. I said that I got hooked on them as a kid and he handed me a greasy paper bag and said try these. I took a handful and popped them in my mouth and they were the best corn product snack I had ever tasted. He told me to keep the bag as he had plenty. He said they were homemade corn nuts and told me how to make them. I want to try and make them but he told me to be sure and get food grade corn that wasn’t coated in pesticides.

Comment

Home made corn nuts sounds really good, now that you mention it.

Comment

OK now you have to post the recipe. (Love me some corn nuts)

Comment

I have not tried it yet but can pass on what he told me.

rinse the dried corn several times and then cover in water for 24 hours, it will swell up some in the process
                        Drain corn and let drain and dry for an hour or two
                        Fry to golden brown, he recommended peanut oil
                        Drain on rack or paper and salt with kosher salt to taste

What he gave me in that little greasy sack was the best corn nut product I had ever tasted so I want to try this soon. Just don't want to do it with bad chemicals on the corn.

Comment

The bulk corn we buy is in the same silos as the HEB Hillcounrty fare corn chip and tortillas supplier, so I guess it just depends on where you buy it?

Comment

Bill Gates killed a bunch of folks in Africa by giving them seed corn that they ate....

Comment

Corn Nuts are made from hominy, I believe. I'm sure the same recipe would work. Sounds interesting.

Feed corn is tough and not as tasty as table corn that we like to eat. But you can still eat it.

Comment

Working...
                              X