Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wife wants a camera for a vacation. Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife wants a camera for a vacation. Help!

In 2 months we are taking a vacation to Washington and Alaska. We don’t have a camera other than what’s in our iPhone 8. I know the camera in these is pretty good but will it be up to the task of this vacation scenery? She is asking for a really good camera, attachments, lenses, and backpack. She has asked for expensive cameras before and I have bought them, and they’ve never been used. Way back I got a Pentax 35mm, then a Cannon digital, then a Nikon DSLR. Never learned how to use even one. The only vacation cameras we ever used were a couple of small pocket sized underwater Pentax digital ones. I used them in Hawaii and elsewhere.

Is there any reason to get a high dollar camera and attachments this close to taking this vacation other than “somebody said to get one”? Understanding them is another story. Plus having to lug it all around along with the rest of our stuff.

On another tack, is there an easy to use and learn option out there? I don’t want to seem a jerk, but I also don’t want to throw money away on something we’ll never use. And I really don’t want to carry a camera backpack up Mt Rainier if there is a lighter easier option. I’m already expecting to be the porter on these hikes.

You could always just hire me to follow you around and photograph you guys, I love to hike

On a slightly more serious note, I would buy her a canon rebel kit with lens and then find a used wide angle lens on Craigslist or FB marketplace. That should cover most of what she wants to photograph.

Comment

canon g7x mark II.

Comment

I bought my wife one when we got married. I ended up using it more than her in the beginning for wildlife. but still never got really good at it. just not my cup of tea I guess. she still to this day does not use it. just sitting in the case in the closet currently

Comment

I switched from Canon to Sony. Check out this kit and its reviews. If she is the one to use, this lightweight mirrorless camera would likely cause her to use it more. Good luck.

Comment

If you are mostly shooting scenery then your Iphone will be lacking. There is really no way around that. If you are mostly capturing pictures of people at close distances with scenery in the background, then your iphone will be just fine.

My opinion on scenery shots is I can buy photo books shot by professionals of that same location and get a lot better images for a lot less cost than a new camera. Now, my wife on the other hand get's into the photography and enjoys it so taking the pictures and doing the post processing is as much a part of the trip as being there. So for her having the camera is important.

Finally, I backpack with professional photographers on a fairly regular basis for my job, and many of them use exactly the camera that Bill posted, or one like it. I agree with Bill that being smaller and lighter makes it less intimidating and it would probably be more likely to be used.

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
            I switched from Canon to Sony. Check out this kit and its reviews. If she is the one to use, this lightweight mirrorless camera would likely cause her to use it more. Good luck.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BI%3A514&smp=Y

Comment

I may look into this Sony A6000. I looked on YouTube and saw a number of tutorials on it. I almost hate to ask if there’s an all around good point and shoot camera?

Gaining the understanding on how to use a camera is probably just as important as the camera you’re using. I don’t want to get a camera for $700 and have it go straight to the closet because it’s hard to operate. I think a lot of people approach photography like a mule looking at a new gate...it’s neat, but don’t want to take the time to figure it out, and go back to what’s easy and they understand.

Originally posted by Dave View Post
              If you are mostly shooting scenery then your Iphone will be lacking. There is really no way around that. If you are mostly capturing pictures of people at close distances with scenery in the background, then your iphone will be just fine.

My opinion on scenery shots is I can buy photo books shot by professionals of that same location and get a lot better images for a lot less cost than a new camera. Now, my wife on the other hand get's into the photography and enjoys it so taking the pictures and doing the post processing is as much a part of the trip as being there. So for her having the camera is important.

Finally, I backpack with professional photographers on a fairly regular basis for my job, and many of them use exactly the camera that Bill posted, or one like it. I agree with Bill that being smaller and lighter makes it less intimidating and it would probably be more likely to be used.

Comment

Can this camera be used without a laptop or a computer? All I have right now are iPhones and iPads.

Originally posted by Bill M View Post

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BI%3A514&smp=Y

Comment

Originally posted by Wampuscat View Post
                  Can this camera be used without a laptop or a computer? All I have right now are iPhones and iPads.

I have the a6000 and one of the cool things about it is you can wirelessly transfer your photos from camera to phone (iPhone in my case). my wife has a high dollar dslr cannon and most of the time she asks me if I'm bringing my camera so she doesn't have to lug hers around. I have the same 2 lenses that are listed in the link that was shared up top and as a non professional they work just great for what I do. just my .02

Comment

Rent what you need..

When we go on scenic vacations I rent cameras and equipment from lensrentals.com

You can rent high end equipment for a fraction of the purchase price.

Comment

Originally posted by Wampuscat View Post
                      I may look into this Sony A6000. I looked on YouTube and saw a number of tutorials on it. I almost hate to ask if there’s an all around good point and shoot camera?

Gaining the understanding on how to use a camera is probably just as important as the camera you’re using. I don’t want to get a camera for $700 and have it go straight to the closet because it’s hard to operate. I think a lot of people approach photography like a mule looking at a new gate...it’s neat, but don’t want to take the time to figure it out, and go back to what’s easy and they understand.
                      List depends on which site you go to.

Comment

Given the history, no way I'd spend a bunch of money on an SLR with a bunch of lenses. Get a good point-and-shoot instead. I'm sure there are several that are good, but I use a Canon PowerShot SX50 HS that is a few years old and love it. Simple to use, not overly expensive, small size, and no extra lenses so a small bag will work. All pics below taken with it. Not magazine quality by any means, but plenty good enough for memories without the expense.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0833thursday.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	24579579

Name:	IMG_1025.jpg
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	24579580

Name:	IMG_0724edit.jpg
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	24579581

Name:	IMG_3049 (2).jpg
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	24579582

Name:	IMG_3304 (2).jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	24579583

Name:	IMG_3372 (2).jpg
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	24579584
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                          Given the history, no way I'd spend a bunch of money on an SLR with a bunch of lenses. Get a good point-and-shoot instead. I'm sure there are several that are good, but I use a Canon PowerShot SX50 HS that is a few years old and love it. Simple to use, not overly expensive, small size, and no extra lenses so a small bag will work. All pics below taken with it. Not magazine quality by any means, but plenty good enough for memories without the expense.]
                          This^^^. We have the expensive dslr with expensive lenses, and use it a fair amount for the kids ballgames and it’s worth it. Also have a $300 powershot that I’ll take hunting or on vacations. Small enough to throw in back pack or purse and has amazing zoom capabilities. Also don’t have to guard with your life worried $2000 worth of camera equipment is going to walk off.

Comment

Ever thought about renting one?

Comment

Take it with a grain of salt since I love photography, and the weight penalty of hauling around my gear is totally worth it for the pics I get, but there's no way I'd go to those places without some sort of non-phone camera, so I understand her ask

Some folks have recommended some really good things here, and for your situation, I'd recommend trying to find something used. There have been people posting kits for sale on here that include some really good stuff for entry level photography like this:

Comment

Working...
                              X