No announcement yet.

We got drawn ! Powderhorn !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't get draw with 35 preference points but will be there for standby.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
      Didn't get draw with 35 preference points but will be there for standby.
      Dang.
      Not encouraging for somebody like me with wayyy less points.

Comment

We just got lucky. It was my last entry and first time putting in for powder horn

Comment

Powderhorn is definitely Unique. Went as a standby last year for the December hunt and I believe they had 53 cards in the pot for standbys. They drew TWO!! One had three hunters and one had a single hunter. My dad went with two other people on the exotic only hunt as a standby and he said out of sixty something people they drew THREE. Luckily for him he was one of the three cards drawn. Definitely take a ATV or UTV. They have a few tower stands set up here and there. They did see deer out of them. The Sambar were found in the wetter regions. My Pops shot his in the middle of a pond. Water was Waist deep when he waded out to retrieve it. They have skinning racks at the barn to clean them. Pop's Sambar weighed 357lbs field dressed. Which was the biggest killed that hunt. They saw several axis but never got a clear shot at them. As far as Taste the Sambar is definitely unique. Makes really great Ground meat(What Doesn't). We steaked some up and its really tough. that's cooking it Rare to medium as well. He was kind enough to give me one hindquarter, a backstrap, and a tenderloin. Tenderloin is the size of your Arm (Elbow to wrist). Backstrap is huge as well. Out of the single hindquarter I made, 15 lbs of Italian Sausage, 15 Lbs of Boudin, 20lbs of Jerky, Smoked two separate muscles to Canadian Style bacon and still had some left for Pan sausage. Word of Advice: Take plenty of coolers. I used a 65 Quart to pick up the meat from my Dad and one hindquarter filled the cooler up with no room for ice, so I had to cut it down and borrow another cooler. Have fun and good Luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebadger View Post
            Powderhorn is definitely Unique. Went as a standby last year for the December hunt and I believe they had 53 cards in the pot for standbys. They drew TWO!! One had three hunters and one had a single hunter. My dad went with two other people on the exotic only hunt as a standby and he said out of sixty something people they drew THREE. Luckily for him he was one of the three cards drawn. Definitely take a ATV or UTV. They have a few tower stands set up here and there. They did see deer out of them. The Sambar were found in the wetter regions. My Pops shot his in the middle of a pond. Water was Waist deep when he waded out to retrieve it. They have skinning racks at the barn to clean them. Pop's Sambar weighed 357lbs field dressed. Which was the biggest killed that hunt. They saw several axis but never got a clear shot at them. As far as Taste the Sambar is definitely unique. Makes really great Ground meat(What Doesn't). We steaked some up and its really tough. that's cooking it Rare to medium as well. He was kind enough to give me one hindquarter, a backstrap, and a tenderloin. Tenderloin is the size of your Arm (Elbow to wrist). Backstrap is huge as well. Out of the single hindquarter I made, 15 lbs of Italian Sausage, 15 Lbs of Boudin, 20lbs of Jerky, Smoked two separate muscles to Canadian Style bacon and still had some left for Pan sausage. Word of Advice: Take plenty of coolers. I used a 65 Quart to pick up the meat from my Dad and one hindquarter filled the cooler up with no room for ice, so I had to cut it down and borrow another cooler. Have fun and good Luck!!

Thanks for this. These are the things I like to hear. I will definitely be targeting water! We got a Polaris to take and looks like I’ll be toting a 300wm

Comment

Let me know how it goes I drew the February 2020 hunt at Powderhorn!

Comment

So, I might have overlooked this somewhere, but the first rifle hunt is Oct 29-31.
                Deer season for Calhoun County doesn’t start until November 2?

Are tags given from the WMA, or tags off license?

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                  So, I might have overlooked this somewhere, but the first rifle hunt is Oct 29-31.
                  Deer season for Calhoun County doesn’t start until November 2?

Are tags given from the WMA, or tags off license?
                  You will be issued a tag from the WMA if you kill a deer. You don’t use license tags.

Comment

^^^

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
                      FYI. I was told 5-7 standby tags will be available
                      Talked to the folks today at Powderhorn. Didn't sound like they are gonna have that many standy by cards, maybe 2...least that is what I understood. I think access is an issue since they don't have a lo of roads in there.

Also, 4 wheelers are not allowed, but UTV, SxS's are allowed. I may try to go on standby, not sure at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                        Talked to the folks today at Powderhorn. Didn't sound like they are gonna have that many standy by cards, maybe 2...least that is what I understood. I think access is an issue since they don't have a lo of roads in there.

Also, 4 wheelers are not allowed, but UTV, SxS's are allowed. I may try to go on standby, not sure at this point.

I’m taking the sxs. Weather is looking mild with chances of rain

Comment

You'll should be in good shape with the SxS...and popular good luck out there.

Comment

Looks like rain and 2 cards drawn

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
                              Me and Jbarr on here have been putting in for sometime and today we finall struck on The Powderhorn. If anyone has Info they’d be willing to share I’d appreciate the help. We got last week of oct
                              One of my sales guys and his nephew are heading out this weekend! Good luck!

Comment

There will be a lot of stuck trucks out there this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X