James Daughtrey WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

James Daughtrey WMA

Got drawn for a Management hunt there for Dec 3-5 with a buddy. I have been going through and reading anything I can find about the place and hunting there since I have never been there. Sounds like it's going to be fun.

I appreciate all the threads and posts about it that people have posted, especially the one by 150class. I am open to any other pointers from people that have been there.

Anyone else going this year?

One question I have been wondering about:
    I know that North Shore also checks in through Daughtrey, but which compartments are for which? Are the compartments around the WMA for the Daughtrey draw and the ones around the lake for Choke Canyon draws?

Comment

My son got drawn there last year for a doe. There are a ton of deer there. Every kid shot a deer on that hunt. We were on the creek out on the NW side. They have blinds but you could put up your own if I remember right.

Comment

Originally posted by NWernig View Post
        I know that North Shore also checks in through Daughtrey, but which compartments are for which? Are the compartments around the WMA for the Daughtrey draw and the ones around the lake for Choke Canyon draws?
        North Shore compartments are part of choke canyon state park. They are on the north east side of the lake just north of the dam.

Comment

The various compartments shown on the internet for the James Daughtrey maps are for the WMA hunts. The North Shore hunt has 4 separate compartments located north of the lake. They are accessed by actually driving across the dam. When I hunted it, you were able to call the JD office to check in/out after the original orientation. We only went back to the main office if something was shot and when we were done with the hunt. Not sure if it's the same. If not, its a pretty long drive back to the office every morning and evening.

Comment

My son was drawn a few years back - I don't remember the compartment we had but we had about a 30 minute drive from the camp site. Lot's of deer, hogs and turkey where we were at. never a boring sit. we had animals everywhere.

It did rain when we were there which made for a long hike to the stand in the area we had. If you have 4x4 it'll make it a lot easier.

Best of luck and happy hunting.

Comment

James Daughtrey WMA

Green is the North Shore area.

Red Underlined is all the James D areas

Comment

Great.... Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was just confused b/c of 10 people being drawn for 15 compartments.

Comment

Originally posted by Cypress Hunter View Post
                  My son was drawn a few years back - I don't remember the compartment we had but we had about a 30 minute drive from the camp site. Lot's of deer, hogs and turkey where we were at. never a boring sit. we had animals everywhere.

It did rain when we were there which made for a long hike to the stand in the area we had. If you have 4x4 it'll make it a lot easier.

Best of luck and happy hunting.
                  looking at the map above we were in compartment 7. great area.

Comment

Cypress Hunter..... good to hear that 7 was good... not one of my top choices because of size, but maybe I am thinking about it all wrong

Comment

Cypress Hunter..... good to hear that 7 was good... not one of my top choices because of size, but maybe I am thinking about it all wrong
                      I've hunted Daughtrey several times and North Shore once with my kiddo. My first recommendation is DON'T OVERTHINK the compartment selection thing. Lots of deer and other game in all the compartments from my experience. About the only difference I've seen is that the closer you get to the water, the more hogs you see. Deer numbers are distributed fairly evenly. You will definitely enjoy this hunt and you will see animals.

The mgmt hunt is different because of the specific type of deer they want you to harvest. Some nice mgmt deer out there if you are patient. Buddy shot a very nice, 6.5 yr old 5-pointer. Staff was very happy with that deer. Best of luck.

Comment

Winslowboy..... I am glad to hear that. I have a buddy that drew with me that is pretty new to hunting, so I really want him to have a great time. I was worried about drawing a dud compartment, but it sounds like that’s not really the case. He will be thrilled to get a doe, and a hog or buck would just be icing on the cake

Comment

I hunted the management hunt at South Shore State Park last season. Saw plenty of deer, including a monster 10 that I had to sit and watch. Shot a doe.

As mentioned above, Sam, the hunt manager at JD, let me call/text him when I was finished with hunts unless I shot something.

I stayed in a cabin at Calliham State Park which allowed me to grill, enjoy a fire, etc.

Comment

Comment

Not the best picture but we had these two bucks in our area when we were drawn. Of course our hunt was spike and doe only.

Comment

Working...
                              X