Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Successful Draw Hunt Result For The Chap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
    I hunted there on the archery hunt around 4 years ago. My permit number had nothing to do with the order I picked my compartment. I have also hunted Javelina there after getting drawn, and again, my permit number had nothing to do with the order I picked.
    I was there 4 years ago too, and it had everything to do with permit number lol. I knew in advance based off that number that I was picking #2.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
      I was there 4 years ago too, and it had everything to do with permit number lol. I knew in advance based off that number that I was picking #2.
      I think the issue is that I didn't know the number of the first permit drawn. I actually called to ask them, but they wouldn't give me that info. My last two numbers were 98, and I picked somewhere around the 20 mark.
      Last edited by 44mAG; 08-27-2019, 02:41 PM.

Comment

I still have some of my old permits, and in the old days before the computerized on-line system, it was easy to tell. There was a Category-WMA-Permit number (GDE-CHAP-01). Now the six digit permit numbers just roll around, and the first one of the hunt is just what comes up. The print out that goes to the management area is organized by order drawn, as everyone has been saying

Comment

I messaged the Chap FB page and this is the scoop.

Me- Hello, I drew the first Archery hunt for this year. I have a question. I've been researching and people are saying that fields/compartments are picked in the order that you were drawn. The theory is that the last 2 digits of permit number is the order your permit was drawn. Is there any truth to this?

Chap- Hi, you are correct in that hunters will select their compartments in the order that they were drawn by the computer system. The digits of your permit number would indicate your placement but nobody would know what the permit number of the #1 draw is...

Me- Thank you for your response! If I understand that correctly, it IS determined by the permit number but they aren't actually numerically in order starting at #1?

Chap- You're correct! There is a lot of misinformation on the message boards. Feel free to call the office any time. And by the way, congratulations on the draw!
          Last edited by Yakinthebox; 09-01-2019, 09:32 AM. Reason: Incomplete post

Comment

I have seen a few posts saying that deer out at the Chap don't like pop-ups even with them being heavily brushed in. I can't help but wonder if it has something to do with the large black hole of death staring back at them from the brush pile.

Has anyone tried leaving the shoot thru mesh in place on their pop-ups out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
              I have seen a few posts saying that deer out at the Chap don't like pop-ups even with them being heavily brushed in. I can't help but wonder if it has something to do with the large black hole of death staring back at them from the brush pile.

Has anyone tried leaving the shoot thru mesh in place on their pop-ups out there?
              I have never been there, but I have 2 that I'm bringing. Both have the Predator Camo pattern and when I used them on the youth draw hunts, the deer never spooked from them. Infact, 2 of the does my boy shot came straight to it to "check it out".
              I'll find out in Dec I guess!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                I have never been there, but I have 2 that I'm bringing. Both have the Predator Camo pattern and when I used them on the youth draw hunts, the deer never spooked from them. Infact, 2 of the does my boy shot came straight to it to "check it out".
                I'll find out in Dec I guess!!!
                You're on the first hunt, correct? Dec 2ish? If you don't mind, let me know how it works out. I'll try to remember to ask later that week.

Comment

Yeah, the 3rd to the 6th. All the times I’ve hunted my pop up, I’ve never brushed it in. The only time I ever did, it didn’t go to well.

Comment

Does anyone know of an RV campsite close to Chap with electrical and water hookups?

Comment

This was my pop up set up last year at Choke Canyon North Shore. Not a lot of brush so I just put it a little ways up the hill and 20 yards off the travel paths. Didn't bother them at all, and I had deer in front of me all thru the day. I used a mix of corn and Golden Deer Nuggets, broadcast all around into the weeds, so they would look for it more.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                        Does anyone know of an RV campsite close to Chap with electrical and water hookups?
                        A quick google search shows a few places in Cotulla. Reeves Ranch RV Park and Cotulla Fish Hatchery http://cotullafishhatchery.net Cotulla is the closest I could find.

Comment

I drew last year and was able to harvest a 130” 5.5 yr old 9 Pointer. I was also able to harvest my first javelina. By far the best hunt I have ever been on. Everyone was super helpful and excited about everyone who harvested. I can’t wait to go back.
                          Let me know if you need any help on how to hunt it I’ll be more then happy too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LVhunter09 View Post
                            Let me know if you need any help on how to hunt it I’ll be more then happy too.
                            I might pick your brain some as I get closer.
                            Did you shoot that buck out of that pop up?

Comment

Successful Draw Hunt Result For The Chap!

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                              I might pick your brain some as I get closer.

Did you shoot that buck out of that pop up?

Yes sir I did. One thing I recommend if you are using a pop up is to brush it in and don’t forget limb loppers and bring plenty of cameras and corn if they allow it this year

Comment

Anyone take a look at the aerial survey photos that the Chap staff posted on FB? They were posted Friday.

Comment

Working...
                                X