LEO Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SticksnStrings View Post
    I tend to agree with this right here. I don't see this as disrespectful toward cops, and I certainly don't see how this can be turned into a guilt trip of "when you need them you'll be calling them..." There is no reason to subject yourself to unnecessary search, just in case you do have an "old park sign" or even something more questionable than that. Also, if you know you're not hurting anyone, there's no argument that opening your property to search cuts down on crime.This video is from a law school and gives a good summary of the reasons why it is unwise to interact unnecessarily with the police, and even includes the perspective of a detective (who agrees). Personally, I have nothing but respect for police/LEO, and yet I will do everything I can to avoid interacting with them for the reasons laid out in the video. As stated in an earlier post, you have nothing to gain.

Don't Talk to the Police - YouTube

Edit: Sorry, this doesn't really answer the OP but still worth discussing

This is my 20th year as a LEO.... the last 10 years my career has been centered around investigations and training. I have worked in 3 departments during that time with the largest having over 1,800 sworn and the smallest 8. Naturally I respect the law and the brave men and women who wear a badge, but I would NEVER answer any questions past the basic introductions and "did you see anything as a witness" questions and I teach my children the same.

This is for 2 reasons:

1.) There are a TON of great LEO's out there who constantly use common sense and good judgement to make their every decision, but there is a large percentage of "squirrels" who DO NOT use common sense and who are always looking to push the envelope to get their next "bust" or power trip. They don't care about details or circumstances or to hear the whole story and don't care if the facts will actually beat the case as long as they can give you the ride. These are the cops who give us all a bad name and it seems they are multiplying in the ranks at an alarming rate.

2.) One of my main responsibilities are interrogations that lead to confessions. I take pride in my ability to talk to people and get the truth to be told. I once handled an internal theft case for the city I worked for. I interrogated 25 employees and got the confession from the suspect for the theft, but also got 23 other confessions for theft of unknown equipment, supplies, material, and time from all but one other employee. These were generally good people who had made some bad decisions and I was able to work with the city manager to save everyone's job by initiating a "turn-back the clock" solution with some department training and policy updates. It all ended well, but if I had been one of the LEO's from point #1 above, then all 24 employees could have seen the inside of a jail cell and lost their jobs. Guilty or innocent, nothing good comes from speaking to a cop past the point of being courteous and polite. I many times think to myself "what a fool" when a suspect signs their Miranda form and agrees to give me a statement without their attorney present. I've sent many folks to prison for making that mistake, when I originally didn't have one stitch of evidence until they confessed and gave me what I needed to put them away.
    It's good police work, and when used properly works as it should, but I would NEVER give a statement to ANY law enforcement officer on anything past a simple witness account of an incident. If there is even a 1% chance that I could be a suspect or even looked at as one, then my attorney is the ONLY person that will be talking on me behalf.

Some of my LEO brothers and sisters may be offended by what I wrote above, but facts are facts and you can't be too careful these days.....
    Last edited by TXBRASS; 09-09-2019, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      There was a story a long time ago about a guy who hit an owl with his truck. He didn't realized it was stuck in his grill. He posted pictures on the internet. Fed game wardens came to his house and searched his freezer(found nothing) They then wanted to look in his garage. As they were leaving after not finding the owl they saw an old park sign hanging in his garage. They then held that sign against him. Ended up costing him 100k or so. It's a long story. Someone needs to dig it up.
      The wardens showed because the pictures showed the days ducks limit along with the owl, on a boat, as a joke. It was more than just pics of a dead owl. The pics and subsequent post insinuated the owl had been shot. Did it go too far, yes. The dude still posts on another forum I frequent. Much of what happen is exactly as described by the post below. It happens and unfortunately it gives everyone in LE a bad name.

Heres the story

**https://www.refugeforums.com/threads...sanity.430580/

Not that it matters to you but Ive been on both sides of this. After receiving 2 citations in Matagorda county I learned the dude who stopped me lied about having video of the traffic stop when I went to court. He claimed I was belligerent and my passenger threw beer cans out the window. Neither of which were true yet I spent 2 days of my time driving back and forth proving otherwise only to find out "there was a problem with the cars video recorder". Even after that I had to paid court fees. Then theres the time I was ordered out the truck at gun point while taking my kid to the orthodontist.

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
      This is my 20th year as a LEO.... the last 10 years my career has been centered around investigations and training. I have worked in 3 departments during that time with the largest having over 1,800 sworn and the smallest 8. Naturally I respect the law and the brave men and women who wear a badge, but I would NEVER answer any questions past the basic introductions and "did you see anything as a witness" questions and I teach my children the same.

This is for 2 reasons:

1.) There are a TON of great LEO's out there who constantly use common sense and good judgement to make their every decision, but there is a large percentage of "squirrels" who DO NOT use common sense and who are always looking to push the envelope to get their next "bust" or power trip. They don't care about details or circumstances or to hear the whole story and don't care if the facts will actually beat the case as long as they can give you the ride. These are the cops who give us all a bad name and it seems they are multiplying in the ranks at an alarming rate.

2.) One of my main responsibilities are interrogations that lead to confessions. I take pride in my ability to talk to people and get the truth to be told. I once handled an internal theft case for the city I worked for. I interrogated 25 employees and got the confession from the suspect for the theft, but also got 23 other confessions for theft of unknown equipment, supplies, material, and time from all but one other employee. These were generally good people who had made some bad decisions and I was able to work with the city manager to save everyone's job by initiating a "turn-back the clock" solution with some department training and policy updates. It all ended well, but if I had been one of the LEO's from point #1 above, then all 24 employees could have seen the inside of a jail cell and lost their jobs. Guilty or innocent, nothing good comes from speaking to a cop past the point of being courteous and polite. I many times think to myself "what a fool" when a suspect signs their Miranda form and agrees to give me a statement without their attorney present. I've sent many folks to prison for making that mistake, when I originally didn't have one stitch of evidence until they confessed and gave me what I needed to put them away.
      It's good police work, and when used properly works as it should, but I would NEVER give a statement to ANY law enforcement officer on anything past a simple witness account of an incident. If there is even a 1% chance that I could be a suspect or even looked at as one, then my attorney is the ONLY person that will be talking on me behalf.

Some of my LEO brothers and sisters may be offended by what I wrote above, but facts are facts and you can't be too careful these days.....
      No offense taken here. I agree with all of it

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
        The wardens showed because the pictures showed the days ducks limit along with the owl, on a boat, as a joke. It was more than just pics of a dead owl. The pics and subsequent post insinuated the owl had been shot. Did it go too far, yes. The dude still posts on another forum I frequent. Much of what happen is exactly as described by the post below. It happens and unfortunately it gives everyone in LE a bad name.

Heres the story

**https://www.refugeforums.com/threads...sanity.430580/

Not that it matters to you but Ive been on both sides of this. After receiving 2 citations in Matagorda county I learned the dude who stopped me lied about having video of the traffic stop when I went to court. He claimed I was belligerent and my passenger threw beer cans out the window. Neither of which were true yet I spent 2 days of my time driving back and forth proving otherwise only to find out "there was a problem with the cars video recorder". Even after that I had to paid court fees. Then theres the time I was ordered out the truck at gun point while taking my kid to the orthodontist.

No offense taken here. I agree with all of it
        Thanks for the link. I'll read it again and see how good my memory is LOL

BTW - I agree with what TXbrass said. That's what I was trying to say but he said it much better.

Comment

The internet is serious bidness……

A coworker just tells me he has a friend with a Cajun restaurant. The owner of the restaurant has acquired a caiman crocodile for a short period of time to keep in his restaurant. The idea is apparently let customers take pics with the lizard to gain more revenue. Apparently owner of restaurant posted pics and video of said lizard on his social media accounts. It appears someone turned his posts over to the GWs who paid him a visit over the weekend.

At his house which is behind a gate.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post

This is for 2 reasons:

Thank you for your views. I pretty much feel the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
              I think the biggest issue that good law abiding citizens have with a lot of LEOs is not WHAT LE CAN or CAN NOT do, but more with WHAT LE SHOULD or SHOULD NOT do. I've found in the 10 + years of doing this job that my attitude and the manner in which I approach people at the initial contact dictates how the entire interaction is going to go.
              I have about the same years of service and feel exactly the same way.[/QUOTE]

This

Comment

Originally posted by andre3k View Post
                It's regional. When I get reports of shots fired there's usually someone shot or dead when I arrive, but I don't police in a rural area.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                We’re clearly talking about a rural area where gunshots are common and not for illegal reasons. In an urban settings, my comments would be different.

Comment

Working...
                X