Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-13-2022, 02:16 PM   #1
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily
Default Africa Question

Where in Africa could you use your own rifles and take a nice cape buffalo, zebra, Wildebeest and some assorted plains game? I know buff are not everywhere and that grouping of animals AND wanting to take my own guns may be a difficult combo, maybe not.

Also, who would you recommend to hunt with? I don't have Doc May money!!!
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2022, 02:27 PM   #2
LWD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County and anywhere else I can

Cape buffalo is what will make it really expensive. That's what will put you into another orbit price wise. Just plains game can be done pretty reasonably if you're flexible on what you shoot.
LWD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2022, 02:53 PM   #3
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

As for your own gun, the Cape buff is gonna be the game changer again unless you have a .375 H&H or bigger. Most of the plains game can easily be killed with .300 mag and down depending on what you shoot.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2022, 03:13 PM   #4
buck_wild
Ten Point

You can do all that most any place in South Africa and Namibia.

You'll need at least a .375 plus for buff or you can bow hunt them also with the right setup.

Management type buff in the 36-38" range are going for $7-$8k, 40"+ a little more.
buck_wild is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2022, 03:26 PM   #5
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale, big lake , presidio , tiviolie

9.3x62 is legal on Buffalo in most places and very legit on plains game
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2022, 03:52 PM   #6
RR 314
Pope & Young

Yup. Can do that on most places/certainly with most outfitters in SA. Using your own rifle is no problem. Even if they only have PG on the main concession, they will know where to go close for buffalo. I went to one concession that had buffalo everywhere, but it was like a petting zoo. I said no thanks.
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2022, 03:54 PM   #7
CEO
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, MO, CO

There are companies who can help navigate the process of bringing your guns along.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2022, 04:53 PM   #8
trophyhunter01
Ten Point

Last trip in February of 2020 I used the PHs 375, it was no charge but part of the hunt. It is a lot easier and less stressful to use their firearms and ammo. If taking your own there are companies that can help in the process of getting through customs for a cost. Also,you need to understand all the requirements for leaving the US with one and docs required to bring it back, entering country requirements on weapon and amount of ammo you can bring and storage requirements and what the airline policy is as well as it can be different than TSA, country and airline, on top of that if you have a layover in the UK or Qatar you need more paperwork. First trip in 2007 I took my own and lucky I new the regs as most ticket agents don’t see many firearms and can really screw that process up. My buddy and I that went with me first time had a different ticket agent, mine showed up his did not for 3 more days.
trophyhunter01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2022, 04:55 PM   #9
IDFWU
Eight Point

Hunt In: Pearsall, Uvalde

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter01 View Post
Last trip in February of 2020 I used the PHs 375, it was no charge but part of the hunt. It is a lot easier and less stressful to use their firearms and ammo. If taking your own there are companies that can help in the process of getting through customs for a cost. Also,you need to understand all the requirements for leaving the US with one and docs required to bring it back, entering country requirements on weapon and amount of ammo you can bring and storage requirements and what the airline policy is as well as it can be different than TSA, country and airline, on top of that if you have a layover in the UK or Qatar you need more paperwork. First trip in 2007 I took my own and lucky I new the regs as most ticket agents donít see many firearms and can really screw that process up. My buddy and I that went with me first time had a different ticket agent, mine showed up his did not for 3 more days.
Who did you hunt with? What country?
IDFWU is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2022, 05:10 PM   #10
trophyhunter01
Ten Point

Limpopo SA last time and Namibia first time. Lots of good outfits and all depends on what you want. Check Africahunting.com lots of great info and hunting reports from people that go first time and many times.
Lots of good outfits that is for sure. Lalamanzi Safaris is who last trip was with, got a cancellation hunt booked and was in country in 5 weeks getting it done, great outfit. Abri is a super guy. Not the super 5+star resort type but really nice camp, great cook. Astra Safari in Namibia, great trip as well. Both are family run outfits by good folks.
trophyhunter01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2022, 05:25 PM   #11
GarGuy
Pope & Young

I did that
Attached Images

GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2022, 06:12 PM   #12
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent/Stonewall Counties, Limpopo South Africa

Why a gun? Doing your list is very doable with a bow n RSA. I just did a Cape, Sable, Roan and Zebra with a bow in the Limpopo this past Sept. not extremely cheap with 3 of those critters though. I could have shot other plains game but already had them.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2022, 06:19 PM   #13
RR 314
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
Why a gun? Doing your list is very doable with a bow n RSA. I just did a Cape, Sable, Roan and Zebra with a bow in the Limpopo this past Sept. not extremely cheap with 3 of those critters though. I could have shot other plains game but already had them.
Personally I find hunting over water/alfalfa/salt with a bow extremely boring as compared to getting out and walking. I sit in a blind plenty in Texas and when I go to Africa I like to get out and hunt. I realize you can spot and stalk with a bow, but most outfitters seemingly like to park you with your bow in a blind.
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2022, 08:36 PM   #14
rladner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Email Limcroma. Using your own rifle is easy.
rladner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2022, 09:22 PM   #15
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie and Fayette Counties
Default Africa Question

Kuche Safaris is a good choice. Tyak has a guy he likes a lot. Theron Safaris I think.

Last edited by TX_Kevin; 01-13-2022 at 09:31 PM.
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 12:56 AM   #16
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR 314 View Post
Personally I find hunting over water/alfalfa/salt with a bow extremely boring as compared to getting out and walking. I sit in a blind plenty in Texas and when I go to Africa I like to get out and hunt. I realize you can spot and stalk with a bow, but most outfitters seemingly like to park you with your bow in a blind.
Have you ever hunted Africa? I have spot and stalked a Nyala, 2 Bushbucks, a Lioness and A Cape Buffalo all in Sept which is not the best time to try spot and stalk.

Earlier in the year, March thru probably July or August, spot and stalk may be better than water holes.

Too each his own, but i just like hunting RSA, no matter the style. Never know what will show up or how many of a particular critter. No where in the world can this happen except in Africa! I have never been bored while hunting in RSA!
Old 01-14-2022, 08:47 AM   #17
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

I have a .375 or will when it arrives and plan to use it. I've taken numerous deer and hogs as well as 2 bear but I need more of a guarantee of success for my first Africa hunt. I've killed a mule deer and elk now with a rifle, next time will be with a bow. South Africa seems ideal and I am thankful for the recommendations. The plan is a plains game hunt plus a buff.
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 08:59 AM   #18
HeyMikey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria County

I've hunted SA twice; once with a bow and once with a rifle. My wife hunted with a rifle both times. We hunted plains game only, but saw some huge Cape Buffalo several times on both trips.
IMHO, there is ZERO reason to take your own gun. As much as we would have liked to take my wife's custom rifle with us, we decided that the hassle and risk involved (loss/theft/etc) just weren't worth it. Especially when we were able to use the guide's gun, at a very cheap rental rate. It didn't take away from our hunting experience one bit, and was one less thing that could potentially ruin our trips. We didn't regret it then, and still don't today.
Good luck on your trip
HeyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 09:27 AM   #19
lanceodom
Ten Point

Hunt In: LaSalle County

Everything you have mentioned can be done in South Africa with Coenraad Vermaak Safaris. Call or email Scruff. They are a first class operation and do it right. https://www.cvsafaris.com/
Here is my write up on it.
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=731662

we didn't take our guns but used theirs. But I know they love for guys to bring their own as well.
lanceodom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 09:45 AM   #20
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Give Tink a shout. Tell him you're an up and coming supermodel. He will take good care of you.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 10:07 AM   #21
hopedale
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WMAs

Listen to Cable Smith's first South African hunt - https://lonestaroutdoorshow.com/2017...res-in-africa/

He went with https://www.johnxsafaris.com/

He's going back for like his 5th trip and I think he's put a pakage together for a group rate. Believe he has a couple of openings. Shoot him an email - lonestaroutdoorshow@gmail.com
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2022, 04:29 PM   #22
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

When you get ready to do it with a bow for trophy animals. give me a shout. I will get you together with what I consider one if not the best bowhunting outfits only for trophy animals at reasonable prices. 5 Star in every aspect!
Old 01-14-2022, 11:19 PM   #23
brunner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca/Comal County

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMikey View Post
I've hunted SA twice; once with a bow and once with a rifle. My wife hunted with a rifle both times. We hunted plains game only, but saw some huge Cape Buffalo several times on both trips.
IMHO, there is ZERO reason to take your own gun. As much as we would have liked to take my wife's custom rifle with us, we decided that the hassle and risk involved (loss/theft/etc) just weren't worth it. Especially when we were able to use the guide's gun, at a very cheap rental rate. It didn't take away from our hunting experience one bit, and was one less thing that could potentially ruin our trips. We didn't regret it then, and still don't today.
Good luck on your trip

Iíve been as well, go with this suggestion

Renting is so much easier and PHís normally have very very nice weapons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brunner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top