No announcement yet.

Kinder Morgan vs Dow Chemical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty sure that Dow Got rid of the pension per se, at least for the operations side last year. The people already covered for pension will still receive their pension but will Dow wil stop supporting it in 2025. But they upped the 401k contributions to where a person will still do pretty good if he play his cards right.
    Can't say about the mandate but have heard that Dow has not said a whole lot about it ...Yet. I think they are still waitin for all the legal stuff to play out.
    Otherwise, Dow has a pretty darn good safety record. Yes they still pinch pennies as all companies do. Gotta please the stock holders. but their safety and maintenance programs are pretty stout.
    Last edited by locolobo; 01-26-2022, 05:53 PM.

Comment

PM sent

Comment

It’s easy to chase money and perks for the short term but the big question is which one fits your long term goals. I’m going to sound old when I say this but future professional growth and stability will make you more money in the long run. The company that best aligns itself with where you see your career progressing ten years from now is the best answer. Sometimes you have to pay some short term “dues” to get where you really want to be long term. I’ve been with my current employer (Emerson) for 16 years, the pay when I hired on with Daniel back in 05’ was middle of the road. However, they invested in me and saw something worth developing and hanging on to. Through all the O&G down turns, sell offs and even COVID I never really worried about my job stability. I do a good job, they know it, compensate me fairly, provide training, paid for my ISO lead auditor and my CWI certifications and offer me a good environment to work in. Think about your future now, before it becomes your past and written in stone.

Good luck, hope whatever choice you make works out the very best for you.

[emoji1662]

Comment

Originally posted by Wampuscat View Post
          PM sent
          Pm inc.
          Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
          It’s easy to chase money and perks for the short term but the big question is which one fits your long term goals. I’m going to sound old when I say this but future professional growth and stability will make you more money in the long run. The company that best aligns itself with where you see your career progressing ten years from now is the best answer. Sometimes you have to pay some short term “dues” to get where you really want to be long term. I’ve been with my current employer (Emerson) for 16 years, the pay when I hired on with Daniel back in 05’ was middle of the road. However, they invested in me and saw something worth developing and hanging on to. Through all the O&G down turns, sell offs and even COVID I never really worried about my job stability. I do a good job, they know it, compensate me fairly, provide training, paid for my ISO lead auditor and my CWI certifications and offer me a good environment to work in. Think about your future now, before it becomes your past and written in stone.

Good luck, hope whatever choice you make works out the very best for you.

[emoji1662]
          Thanks, this is what I'm after. Growth and stability are what's important to me. I was at my last job (cvx) for over 13 years.

I see more of what I'm looking for with Dow even though, as mentioned , KM would put me back in the petrochemical side of things. I hate the feeling when a world/large event causes big market oil crashes and $20bbls.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
          Last edited by jaime1982; 01-26-2022, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I have one uncle at Dow. He hates it . Other uncle left Dow to go to Exxon .

Comment

Originally posted by Mauler View Post
              I know Kinder has a COVID vax mandate

In case that matters to you
              Not company wide, maybe a certain job site requires it but I have family that would rather die than get the shot that still work for KM

Comment

Here are the vax portions of the offers. KM is a federal contractor, seems like the accommodations are few and far inbetween....
                Attached Files

Comment

Which KM location? This would play a HUGE factor in this decision. I know a little about all the location in Houston. Also what is your craft?
                  Last edited by Hammerdown; 01-26-2022, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Kinder Morgan vs Dow Chemical

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
                    Pretty sure that Dow Got rid of the pension per se, at least for the operations side last year. The people already covered for pension will still receive their pension but will Dow wil stop supporting it in 2025. But they upped the 401k contributions to where a person will still do pretty good if he play his cards right.
                    Can't say about the mandate but have heard that Dow has not said a whole lot about it ...Yet. I think they are still waitin for all the legal stuff to play out.
                    Otherwise, Dow has a pretty darn good safety record. Yes they still pinch pennies as all companies do. Gotta please the stock holders. but their safety and maintenance programs are pretty stout.

This^^^^.
                    Been there 26yrs. Dow is NOT the company I hired into. Extremely liberal. You are just a number and when times are bad you may be cut to appease the share holders (seen it 3 times). Once was a 25% global workforce cut Just to keep paying the dividend so Wall-street will be happy. Lost some good people each time. Pension is going away after 2024.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    Last edited by lodgepole; 01-26-2022, 09:27 PM.

Comment

I worked for DOW for 3 years back in ‘03-‘06. My dad retired from DOW, along with his older brother and my grandpa. It was not the same company that my family was proud to work for for 30+ years each. Best thing I ever did was quit. There was a whole new world out there waiting that I didn’t know existed. They may have changed some things in the last few years, but I’d choose anybody but DOW after my experience there. I was just a number as a DOW employee, and it was getting less safe every shift I worked, because they were replacing DOW employees with contractors, and hiring anybody with a basket weaving degree that didn’t have a clue what a valve was, much less which direction to turn it. The owner/CEO of the company I’ve worked for the last 14 years has known my name since they hired me, and still greets me with a handshake every time I see him. I have some friends that work for your other option, and prior to covid and mandates, have always been happy with their job/employer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can't compare todays Dow to the Dow of old - different times. I'm 3rd generation Dow, good company in my opinion.

Comment

Dow is underpaid and mandating the Jab from what I hear.

Comment

Originally posted by txheartshot View Post
                            I worked for DOW for 3 years back in ‘03-‘06. My dad retired from DOW, along with his older brother and my grandpa. It was not the same company that my family was proud to work for for 30+ years each. Best thing I ever did was quit. There was a whole new world out there waiting that I didn’t know existed. They may have changed some things in the last few years, but I’d choose anybody but DOW after my experience there. I was just a number as a DOW employee, and it was getting less safe every shift I worked, because they were replacing DOW employees with contractors, and hiring anybody with a basket weaving degree that didn’t have a clue what a valve was, much less which direction to turn it. The owner/CEO of the company I’ve worked for the last 14 years has known my name since they hired me, and still greets me with a handshake every time I see him. I have some friends that work for your other option, and prior to covid and mandates, have always been happy with their job/employer.

Thank you for the feedback
                            Originally posted by PassnItOn View Post
                            Can't compare todays Dow to the Dow of old - different times. I'm 3rd generation Dow, good company in my opinion.
                            This is what I'm thinking; we're currently talking about dow-dupont.
                            Originally posted by MasonCo. View Post
                            Dow is underpaid and mandating the Jab from what I hear.

I posted their policy, ill find out what HR tells me about it though.

"Underpaid" is pretty subjective, but ill be making less than what I made at Chevron and more than I'm making at Kuraray.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Just a thought, I know guys that have chased their perfect job at multiple companies. 10 yes here, 15 there instead of staying with a company. Many of us are retired others mentioned are still hunting their dream job with what I called fractured retirements. There are no perfect plant jobs from my experiences and talking with others in similar situations for 40 plus years. Just my opinion. The only happy working folks I know have their on companies.
                              Last edited by tps7742; 01-26-2022, 10:45 PM.

Comment

I've been with Dow almost 38 years and my wife 32 and we are still here. I have no complaints since we have made a very good living and put kids through college. However things have changed over the last few years. At the end of 2023 they will no longer put money in my pension but they are raising the company match in the 401K to make up for that. We are probably going to hang it up at the end of 2023 and enjoy some of the benefits of being retired. We were lucky we were grandfathered in the old pension because of when we hired on with the company.

Comment

Working...
                                X