No announcement yet.

School me on timed protein feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not too much to add but I would say your timer length will need to be trial and error based on how often you fill it. If you fill it every week, spin it for 10 sec. But, more than likely you are like most of us and get out there once a month. I would start with 2 seconds and see how empty it is when you go back to fill it. If it is half full, bump to 4 seconds, etc. My goal would be to have the last bit of protein be put out the day after I show up to fill it if I hadn't shown up. They may not get to eat all they want but they will get some every day until you get back.

Comment

I have a couple. One the newer style “600lb” version and a old style gravity 1000lb converted to timed.
      I feed 3 times a day on the 600lber 2 seconds a throw
      I feed twice a day on the 1000lber 8 seconds and 6 seconds.
      I feed palmers Eco17 protein so it’s a smaller pellet.

What you need to watch for in the future is the newer version stand and fill 600lb feeder tends to rattle down the spinner plate creating more gap. I’d check it before you fill it and set it to the highest point you can on the motor shaft. Tighten the crap out of the set screw. From the factory I don’t think they tighten thy set screw very good.

On initial startup it certainly depends on your deer tendencies on feed. Our deer take to anything pretty dang quick so we can take off feeding at a high rate with the timed protein. Then of course I wouldn’t consider 200-300lbs a month a high rate but that’s why I switched to timed protein to stay on a budget but put out some amount of feed every day. If we fed free choice they deer would eat 2000lbs a month per spot so it’s been a life saver on the pocket book.

Hope this helps some!
      Attached Files

Comment

We have some 1000lb ranch king timed protein feeders. I usually set the times the same as my corn feeder and do 3 seconds each feed time from oct.-april and then 8 seconds from may-sept. I use anterlmax 20% and the deer love it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve got one of the ASF 2000lb pro evo feeders (really about 1500lbs of protein). The ranch is about 4.5 hrs from me and knew I couldn’t get out every month to refill the feeder.

When I first started protein feeding it took the deer nearly a full year before they would eat out of it, but once they did it was tough to keep up. The first year I ran just a couple of seconds each day and the tube head still filled up, fortunately never burned up the motor.

Now I try to guesstimate the number of deer eating on a normal basis and feed 20-24 seconds once in the morning during season and about 30 seconds during the off season. According to ASF the feeder throws about 8lbs per 10-12 seconds. Figuring each deer eats roughly 2lbs/day, I can get the most dominant deer fed early. Feeding this way the hopper consistently lasts 2-3 months between fill ups which is a lot more manageable on the trips I take and my wallet.

Feeding only once each morning, deer are lined up waiting for the feeder to go off. I’m seeing way more deer during the day than I had ever seen previously. Protein feeding completely changed the number of deer I see on a regular basis.

Comment

I have The Hammer and open it for 10min in the morning and evening. They can eat all they want for that 10min or whatever is left over in the hopper after it closes. I have a 50gal drum and it will last about a month like this. My tube is kinda short compared to the ones in the pics above. Maybe a foot and a half long after the door that closes. Now I will say that they have protein all year long in the form of clover that gets about a foot tall all over the pecan orchard.

Comment

we have the 600# feeder, different proteins will come out at different rates based on the size of the pellets. We are spinning 3 morning 3 and it seems to be a good amount with the plots that we still have going as well.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsX View Post
                I have a couple. One the newer style “600lb” version and a old style gravity 1000lb converted to timed.
                I feed 3 times a day on the 600lber 2 seconds a throw
                I feed twice a day on the 1000lber 8 seconds and 6 seconds.
                I feed palmers Eco17 protein so it’s a smaller pellet.

What you need to watch for in the future is the newer version stand and fill 600lb feeder tends to rattle down the spinner plate creating more gap. I’d check it before you fill it and set it to the highest point you can on the motor shaft. Tighten the crap out of the set screw. From the factory I don’t think they tighten thy set screw very good.

On initial startup it certainly depends on your deer tendencies on feed. Our deer take to anything pretty dang quick so we can take off feeding at a high rate with the timed protein. Then of course I wouldn’t consider 200-300lbs a month a high rate but that’s why I switched to timed protein to stay on a budget but put out some amount of feed every day. If we fed free choice they deer would eat 2000lbs a month per spot so it’s been a life saver on the pocket book.

Hope this helps some!
                Does the trashy 10 come with it?…

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                  Does the trashy 10 come with it?…
                  He’s extra! They actually all owe me money for feed so any given year could be their last.

Comment

Thank you for all the information, very helpful.

I bought two the "new style" all season 600# feeders.

Comment

I think your schooled lol

Comment

Originally posted by RJK70 View Post
                        Thank you for all the information, very helpful.

I bought two the "new style" all season 600# feeders.
                        Niiiice. I love mine. The cost (I bought two used at a great price on tbh) plus the smaller footprint made a nice add to my in-season hunting and offseason supplements. Like Kings X above I screwed 4' 4x4s on the skids to get them up a little more to give the deer a little better angle at the trays. Its a cheap modification....I have one I did with landscaping timbers which is an even cheaper mod. Deer don't have to bend over and under the "awning" to get to the feed tray as much as stock. No need of course. Just my OCD starting ticking and i figured I'd help them out...

Here's a few pics with the mods... standing in line..

Click image for larger version

Name:	00IMG_0781.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	24674706

Name:	00IMG_0782.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	24674707

Name:	00IMG_0783.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	24674708

Name:	00IMG_6227.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	24674709

Name:	00IMG_8060.JPG
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	24674710

Name:	00IMG_8462.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	24674711

Turkeys use it too if there is any feed left over..

Name:	00IMG_6228.JPG
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	24674712

Comment

Also....for those of you asking me about the capacity of the hopper past the spinner, here is a a pic of it with the storage bin off of it. Not many folks have seen the inside of theirs. Shows you how it can fill up and surround the spinner if it backs up too much. The spinner mounts right under the rectangle hole in the middle. I bought this one used and had to clean it up. It was one of their original old school models with all the controls, the spinner, the motor and the battery in a standard feeder box like the corn feeder (last pic). Too low for a fatboy to bend over all the time. I ordered one of the new model boxes that mounts on the side bin from ASG and ran the wires while I was cleaning it. Works well. Timer, battery. motor wiring, and solar panel wire is all in that side box now like the newer models.

Name:	00ASF.jpg
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	24674716

Name:	00ASF2.jpg
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	24674717

Name:	00ASF1.JPG
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	24674718

Name:	ASF Time protein.jpg
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	24674719

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            Niiiice. I love mine. The cost (I bought two used at a great price on tbh) plus the smaller footprint made a nice add to my in-season hunting and offseason supplements. Like Kings X above I screwed 4' 4x4s on the skids to get them up a little more to give the deer a little better angle at the trays. Its a cheap modification....I have one I did with landscaping timbers which is an even cheaper mod. Deer don't have to bend over and under the "awning" to get to the feed tray as much as stock. No need of course. Just my OCD starting ticking and i figured I'd help them out...

Here's a few pics with the mods... standing in line..

[ATTACH]1078625[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1078626[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1078627[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1078628[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1078629[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1078630[/ATTACH]

Turkeys use it too if there is any feed left over..

[ATTACH]1078631[/ATTACH]

Nice modification on the skids. I will definitely do this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have a 500# Lamco timed protein feeder. I feed 6 seconds, twice a day. There is never any feed left in the trough an hour after the feeder goes off! I mix 7 bags of antlers plus and 3 bags of corn to fill the feeder, and feed that all year around.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Bringing this one back up. Ive been researching the ASF stand and fill protein (and broadcast) feeders for this year. Last deer season, I didn't see a lot of deer activity during the day. Most of the decent bucks were Nocturnal most of the year. I've been running a tripod corn feeder going off morning and afternoon to sling corn, plus have a 55 gallon gravity feed Protein Feeder in place. Problem is I don't want to keep climbing on my tailgate and standing on bags to fill my feeders. Additionally hogs get a lot of the corn I throw.

Sounds like the Timed Protein feeder may help train deer to come by more during daylight hours as long as I dont overfeed and clog it. Our deer density is real low, im just trying to bring in and attract deer to our small hunting spot. My initial though is to set it to go off once in the AM and then start dialing in the times based on usage, but only set it to go off in the AM each day. Ive got to get the deer to get more conditioned to come out during daylight hours.

Final question...with the 600 or 1k Electric ASF unit, if I put the skids on the 4x4's at the base....is it high enough to keep the hogs from getting to the troughs?? This is super important to me...i dont want to be loosing protein to the hogs. Biggest hog we have trapped on the property to date was 240 pounds...pretty decent size, but no monster. Ive seen a few bigger ones on camera, but they are trap shy I think.
                                Last edited by rbljack; 02-18-2022, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X