Lake Amistad 21-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
    They don't have to net them for the numbers on the public land to be very low or zero. The rams come and go as they choose, and have as long as they have been out there. What I saw years ago, was that early in the season, there would be a lot more rams in hunt area number 5. As hunters chased them more and more, they would eventually find ways out of hunt area number 5 and move out onto private land. Late deer season, you typically won't find any or very few in hunt area number 5.

They will eventually come back, once left alone for a long enough time period, or they get chased too often on private land.
    Again I haven’t hunted there in a while and what you describe was my experience as well. But they should already be back by now in bigger numbers.

IMHO the trails don’t lie, the traffic just isn’t or hasn’t been there. Normally you would encounter numerous single rams in the hunt area. It was also common to encounter small groups of ewes with kids separated from the bigger herds. The only kid I saw was a skeleton by the water. I hope I am wrong but I bet either the park or one of the private land owners netted a bunch.

Comment

Have never hunted out there but have wanted to for some time but just haven’t. One thing I’ve noticed different this year is none of the private ranches around the park are advertising sheep hunts like they have in years past.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
        Again I haven’t hunted there in a while and what you describe was my experience as well. But they should already be back by now in bigger numbers.

IMHO the trails don’t lie, the traffic just isn’t or hasn’t been there. Normally you would encounter numerous single rams in the hunt area. It was also common to encounter small groups of ewes with kids separated from the bigger herds. The only kid I saw was a skeleton by the water. I hope I am wrong but I bet either the park or one of the private land owners netted a bunch.
        They may have, I know the Feds were on a mission to get rid of all non native species from Federal lands a few years ago. But it seems they got met with a ot of unhappy people who cried about them killing non native species, on every piece of Federal land they set out to kill non native species off of. I know they were supposed to have killed nilgai from down south, aoudads from Big Bend, mountains goats, from The Grand Tetons, those are just the ones I remember. I would not be surprised about them cleaning rams out of Amistad. I just would not think they would have got many, I know they did not get many critters from the other Federal lands.

Comment

Anyone been out lately? I'm hoping to go this fall haven't been in a couple of years. Been missing it.

Comment

I was out weekend before last. Seen one aoudad and 3 mouflon. None in range. Drove around to the neighborhood and didn't see many on private land either. Didn't see as many whitetail as usual either.

Comment

Originally posted by Gringolevi View Post
              I was out weekend before last. Seen one aoudad and 3 mouflon. None in range. Drove around to the neighborhood and didn't see many on private land either. Didn't see as many whitetail as usual either.
              Was that on #5?

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

Comment

Didn't know there were aoudad on 5

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by huntozarks View Post
                  Didn't know there were aoudad on 5
                  Gotta be, because there ain't no mouflon in 4. It's cool if they've ventured out over there, low lake levels probably help with disbursement.

Comment

Yes it was in 5. Only have seen a handful of aoudad in the last 2 years. I haven't been able to take one yet though

Comment

I have seen aoudad in area 5 but they were just passing through. I don’t thing they are there for very long. Area 5 gets too much pressure to have aoudad on it.

I know for a fact that there are aoudad just north of area 5 to include area 4 obviously. I have seen them in decent size groups just north of the rough canyon neighborhood areas.

Comment

If yall don't want crossbows there next year please email the superintendent. The lead ranger who identified himself as being the head of hunting operations is planning to recommend allowing crossbows to match Texas regulations. I explained the reasoning why not to do it and he seemed surprised I'd object. I told him if you put a crossbow in the hands of anyone in my party we'd fill all our tags, which is true. That's 25 deer just for us and then there won't be any left to hunt the following years. He seemed most concerned about the drop in hunting permits which I explained they doubled the price, border crisis, and netted mouflon are the reasoning behind that not the deer success rate or opportunity. He seemed baffled, argued there's plenty of mouflon, said $40 is still super cheap, the park is safe, etc. I tried explaining while $40 is cheap that's irrelevant because a sudden doubling in price has a mental effect especially with people who make one trip per year to hunt mouflon that might not be there. My oldest son's in a tight school program right now and he came twice with us just to camp and fish, didn't have $40 for a permit.

Comment

I would definitely not like to see crossbows added.

Comment

I had a better POC email but can't find it, this is the one I've been going back and forth with them on various issues over the last few years: amis_interpretation@nps.gov
                            I'm about to send my email shortly, I guess we'll just ask them to forward it to whomever makes the decisions on hunting or just use the Contact Us form on the website or call: https://www.nps.gov/amis/contacts.htm

Comment

Agreed! I think adding crossbows will hurt the quality and safety of the hunting. I already heard about someone running around in section 2 with one last year. It's not like Amistad is in dire need of more hunters and crossbows don't take the dedication that archery equipment does.

I bought a permit and didn't get to hunt due to insurmountable bs and other (successful) hunting opportunities. The photo is from last year. I'll make some good Amistad hunts happen next year!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                                I had a better POC email but can't find it, this is the one I've been going back and forth with them on various issues over the last few years: amis_interpretation@nps.gov
                                I'm about to send my email shortly, I guess we'll just ask them to forward it to whomever makes the decisions on hunting or just use the Contact Us form on the website or call: https://www.nps.gov/amis/contacts.htm
                                I believe the Park Superintendent at Amistad used to be Christopher Ryan but I am not sure if he is still there. I might be in the area tomorrow and will stop by the visitors center and find out.

It would definitely suck to have crossbows allowed for able-bodied hunters.

Comment

Working...
                                X