No announcement yet.

Lake Meredith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Mullinaw crossing passable on foot with waders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chastings77 View Post
      Cool video. Thanks for sharing it.

Comment

Another cool video, old mullie up very close, 4 yards:
        [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LydfnOzhT6w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LydfnOzhT6w[/ame]

Comment

This is a long shot but here goes. This is my third and last season hunting LM. I'm moving out of state this year. Self-taught "hunter", but it's been brutal. I read the threads I've put in countless miles and not only not killed any deer in those 3 years, I've only SEEN deer twice. One group of white tail doe off Alibates road and another group of mulie doe in North Canyon near Bugbee, both of which are illegal to shoot ironically. I drove up from Mcbride after spending all day hiking around just to see the white tail does near the main roadways. I was like wow, smart does as I drove by clenching my fists. I would have thought i'd run into some legal deer completely by accident by now. I've hunted Devils, Mullinaw trail almost all the way down to chicken creek but didn't quite make it that far, Dolomite and Turkey Creek, Mcbride Canyon, Plum Creek, and Bates Canyon. Havent Been to Big or Saddlehorse because I havent been able to cross Mullinaw. Gate was either locked or when I tried on foot I've soaked my boots. I guess I should buy waders. Havent tried Evans or Martins because I figured there was mostly Mulies back there and I wanted to be able to just put meat in the freezer, so a whitetail doe or buck will do for me doesn't matter. Anyway tomorrow is my last day to hunt LM forever so if anyone could help a brother out I'd appreciate it. Not looking for honey holes or where your monster buck is located, like I said just want meat in the freezer so any legal deer will do for me. If no one gets back to me, i'm probably going to try hunt Devil's maybe one last time and will report back if LM has beaten me. LOL didn't want this to end on a solemn note, but no matter what happens this place is beautiful country and I've had a great time just being here! Thanks yall!
          Last edited by skunkedhunter; 01-03-2022, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skunkedhunter View Post
            This is a long shot but here goes. This is my third and last season hunting LM. I'm moving out of state this year. Self-taught "hunter", but it's been brutal. I read the threads I've put in countless miles and not only not killed any deer in those 3 years, I've only SEEN deer twice. One group of white tail doe off Alibates road and another group of mulie doe in North Canyon near Bugbee, both of which are illegal to shoot ironically. I drove up from Mcbride after spending all day hiking around just to see the white tail does near the main roadways. I was like wow, smart does as I drove by clenching my fists. I would have thought i'd run into some legal deer completely by accident by now. I've hunted Devils, Mullinaw trail almost all the way down to chicken creek but didn't quite make it that far, Dolomite and Turkey Creek, Mcbride Canyon, Plum Creek, and Bates Canyon. Havent Been to Big or Saddlehorse because I havent been able to cross Mullinaw. Gate was either locked or when I tried on foot I've soaked my boots. I guess I should buy waders. Havent tried Evans or Martins because I figured there was mostly Mulies back there and I wanted to be able to just put meat in the freezer, so a whitetail doe or buck will do for me doesn't matter. Anyway tomorrow is my last day to hunt LM forever so if anyone could help a brother out I'd appreciate it. Not looking for honey holes or where your monster buck is located, like I said just want meat in the freezer so any legal deer will do for me. If no one gets back to me, i'm probably going to try hunt Devil's maybe one last time and will report back if LM has beaten me. LOL didn't want this to end on a solemn note, but no matter what happens this place is beautiful country and I've had a great time just being here! Thanks yall!
            Can't help you cause I've never been there. I've always wanted to give the public land mulie hunt a try tho.
            I imagine my success would be about the same as yours since I have no experience hunting them.
            Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
              Can't help you cause I've never been there. I've always wanted to give the public land mulie hunt a try tho.
              I imagine my success would be about the same as yours since I have no experience hunting them.
              Good luck!

Thanks and come on down later this year! It's a fun place hunting or not. Spring Canyon is a good place to swim and the lake has good walleye

Comment

Originally posted by skunkedhunter View Post
                Thanks and come on down later this year! It's a fun place hunting or not. Spring Canyon is a good place to swim and the lake has good walleye
                Thanks for the invite. The walleye fishing there has piqued my interest for some time. The 5.5 to 6 hr drive has been the deterring factor thus far. A buddy and I have been discussing hauling the kayaks up there for quite awhile now. Maybe late this spring we'll make the trip!....I'll have to recover from my rotator cuff surgery first tho.

Last edited by rolylane6; 01-03-2022, 08:28 PM.

Comment

@Skunkedhunter - LM is a puzzle for sure, lots of people get lucky. Have you ever met anyone that can kill a mature buck out there every single year? I only know of a couple of guys who can. I am always in the same boat as you, self taught and struggling. I was 50 yards from a mule buck during bow season and I shot at a 6 pt WT on opening day and completely missed. I thought I had figured them out but then the next week they were gone, no clue where.

Got Covid and just did not make it out again. Going to go out for some rabbit and coyote hunting with the kids here soon. Turkey season just around the corner, caught a 4lb walleye last year, I really do love being out at the Lake, every year I learn so much.

@rolylane6 - had rotator cuff surgery last August, recovery was rough. You can get it done in 6 weeks with the right therapy!
                  Last edited by chastings77; 01-04-2022, 07:24 AM.

Comment

ROLY - I get that, gonna cost some money in lodging to make the trip worth it. Spring should be a great time for some reelin... I have a Kayak myself although I'm not great in it. When it's real windy I definitely stay home with the yaks lol

CHASTINGS - I honestly don't know anyone personally besides other hunters i've talked to kill any deer in Meredith. Everyone I know who's killing deer is leasing land. Something about a public deer has really made it seem more special though for me. I've read your posts, that's rough and I feel for you too. You've definitely put in time and work here!! Frustrating man I see crossing trails, tons of tracks and scat and try to work the wind and anticipate their bedding/ feeding areas to set an ambush. The bedding i've seen winds up empty when I hunt it in the morning hoping to see deer marching that way after feeding, but living is there full time job. I just come out here on the weekends. Goodluck on the rabbit and yote's. Ran into a rabbit this morning actually. He was stunned to see me. I was within 5 yards of him right off the main trail about an hour before sun up. Was walking all morning into a strong headwind with my flashlight to the ground. Guessing the wind muffled my sound pretty good and obviously he couldnt smell me when I rounded the bend on the trail. Took my flashlight off him and kept walking, then heard him scampering away. Saw some yote's while turkey hunting last year. Scared one of them walking up to my spot. Then I was box calling on a knoll facing some trees when I heard some crackling behind me. Turned around real quick and saw a yote bolting off into the bush. Scared the shyt outta me. He thought he was sneaking up on a Tom lol. Only Turkeys I've seen were near Mcbride campground road.

On a side note - Today was a bust! Couldn't hunt the evening because I've had prior commitments. But it's alright LM has treated me well and I have learned, if nothing else, hard work and appreciating nature and the little victories. Saw a TON of what looked to me like white pheasant. Also around a couple dozen ducks give or take on the Canadian this morning at my first spot. Pretty cool to see them mosey down the river. Hiked all the way down from Lower Plum Creek down to Devils Canyon and back. Saw several rubbed trees. Wish I could somehow post those pics. Big deal for me because I never see rubs!! There was one single MASSIVE pile of fresh scat in Devils which stood out from the rest which wernt so fresh. The first one that I've seen fresh today and good size tracks around it. Got me excited. It was extremely windy today and could barely look down into the canyon from the ridgelines too much my eyes were drying out. Had to do a u-turn then hike towards the mouth of the canyon and found a spot to glass and try to make some calls. After being there for a couple hours it was time to head back. About 2 1/2 hour hike for my phat ***** to get back. Anyway time to move on and I wish you all luck here. Anyone who gets a deer here has definitely earned it!
                    Last edited by skunkedhunter; 01-04-2022, 05:00 PM.

Comment

@Skunked - My buddy and I have old town predator pdl yaks. They are game changers. Pedal drives, they're super stable and handle fairly big water well. Of course Merideth being as large and open as it is, I'm sure it can get beyond pretty rough. In those situations you stay on the upwind shorelines.
                      @chastings - a 4lb walleye would be a dream. I've never caught one at all.

Comment

The last post about Lake Meredith I see is from January of this year. Has anyone posted lately about bow season there this year?

Comment

I’m hoping someone on here has some luck up there. I actually checked for this thread this morning as well

Comment

A buddy and I are going next week so hoping to have some luck. Itll be our first time so I know the odds are definitely against us, but just looking go get out and see what we can find. It is kinda odd to see no traction on this thread so far

Comment

Originally posted by Stickslinger92 View Post
                              A buddy and I are going next week so hoping to have some luck. Itll be our first time so I know the odds are definitely against us, but just looking go get out and see what we can find. It is kinda odd to see no traction on this thread so far
                              How did y’all do? Any luck?

Comment

People don't post about it anymore because its caused the area to explode with hunters. Used to I could walk in 4-5 miles and see no more than 5-7 groups of hunters the entire day during gun season. As of 2 years ago when I last hunted it bow season was packed and gun season is just stupid. I'm talking stupid like 14 other people camping in Evans canyon alone. People walking through the bottoms during prime hunting times thinking they could jump game for a shot... the bottoms have brush 6-8' high. When the deer see pressure they go right out of the canyons and hang on the private that surrounds it.

Comment

Working...
                                X