Buffalo hunting era?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buffalo hunting era?

Any TBH folks with any connections to the buffalo hunting era, 1876-79 or so? Got a camp on your lease, or a town site on your ranch, etc? Grandpa used to collect artifacts, etc? Indian fight locations on your property?

I hunted buffalo and fought Indians from about age 5 to 10 or so, what do you wanna know ?

The plains east of Palestine were littered with their bones

Comment

Sounds like the beginnings of a new themed knife!!

Comment

Originally posted by WildThings View Post
        Sounds like the beginnings of a new themed knife!!

Lol yep. Have to throw a broad net. Stuff is hard to come by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
          Lol yep. Have to throw a broad net. Stuff is hard to come by.

This sounds cool already, lots of possibilities in the buffalo hunting era, good luck!

Comment

My grandad used to have a big bone handled folding knife he said was a Buffalo skinner. It had Case Brothers on the base of the blade, I got his pocket knives when he passed on, sadly that one went missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
              My grandad used to have a big bone handled folding knife he said was a Buffalo skinner. It had Case Brothers on the base of the blade, I got his pocket knives when he passed on, sadly that one went missing.

There are TONS of knives labeled Buffalo Skinner. Case Bros is an old brand though.

Comment

I have a friend in Tulia that has the ranch with the little box canyon (part of Tule Canyon) where Col. Mackenzie and his men killed all the Indians' horses after capturing the horses the day before in Palo Duro Canyon. Decisive defeat of the Indians. After they lost all their horses, they were done. Had to walk to Oklahoma to the reservation.

On September 28, 1874, Colonel Ranald S. Mackenzie and his troops attacked and destroyed a large Indian encampment in Palo Duro Canyon, Texas.

My friend has found lots of cavalry buttons, belt buckles and such. Also a bunch of ball ammo from all the shooting of the Indians' horses in that little box canyon. I don't know if any of that would be suitable knife material. Obviously the lead balls wouldn't be. But maybe some of the other stuff would - if he'd be willing to part with any of it.

Also, he is an engraver. Does a lot of belt buckles, spurs, knives, etc.... Maybe a collaboration?

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  I have a friend in Tulia that has the ranch with the little box canyon (part of Tule Canyon) where Col. Mackenzie and his men killed all the Indians' horses after capturing the horses the day before in Palo Duro Canyon. Decisive defeat of the Indians. After they lost all their horses, they were done. Had to walk to Oklahoma to the reservation.

On September 28, 1874, Colonel Ranald S. Mackenzie and his troops attacked and destroyed a large Indian encampment in Palo Duro Canyon, Texas.

My friend has found lots of cavalry buttons, belt buckles and such. Also a bunch of ball ammo from all the shooting of the Indians' horses in that little box canyon. I don't know if any of that would be suitable knife material. Obviously the lead balls wouldn't be. But maybe some of the other stuff would - if he'd be willing to part with any of it.

Also, he is an engraver. Does a lot of belt buckles, spurs, knives, etc.... Maybe a collaboration?

I totally need to talk to that guy, LOL. I’ll text you tomorrow.

Comment

Had a friend with a place in Crosby co just east of Lubbock we found several old bison skulls in the sides of some washouts half exposed. They were all too deteriorated to touch though they would just crumble

Comment

Thanks Shane...........................
                      I just went down that rabbit hole, for a couple hours...............

Comment

Shane starts a lot of rabbit trails lol.

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                          Thanks Shane...........................
                          I just went down that rabbit hole, for a couple hours...............
                          You're welcome. Col. Mackenzie was an interesting dude.

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                          Shane starts a lot of rabbit trails lol.
                          Did you talk to Joe, Jason?

Comment

Being in NCKS, the history here ties in with Tx.
                            Basically, im sittin here in France.
                            I think it was 1804 when Jefferson made the Louisianna Purchase.
                            In 1806, he commissioned Zebulon Pike to go visit with the Pawnee Indians north west of here on the Republican river.
                            Pike camped for 3 days in what we call Pawnee gap, it is an easy trail between the Solomon and Saline river valleys.
                            The north end of Pawnee Gap is a National Landmark, called "Rock City"
                            My grandmother lived on a little hillside nearly in the middle of Pawnee Gap, she and her 3 sisters attended the country school, about 500y wsw..

After Pike, it was 1859 before James Mead came to Ottawa county Ks. He named many of our streams.. he had a place he called "Meads ranch" about 1m east of Tescott.
                            He was lucky to survive the Indians on the war path coming thru the gap.
                            He has an autobiography.
                            Mead knew John Chisum, was also instrumental in the founding of Wichita.
                            His memoirs talk of the Buffalo, the wolves which followed the great herds, the plains Elk, turkeys, deer, etc..
                            To get the wolves, in one account, Mr. Mead killed 2 Buffalo in the evening, tainting the carcasses with strychnine poison, the next day, gathering 72 wolves.. they would get a wagon load of hides, then take them 190miles to Fort Leavenworth.

I am very close to several "cowtowns" Abilene, Salina, Ellsworth (bloody ellsworth). The Texans drove their cattle here.. where the grass and water could fatten them well.. then ship them back east to feed the masses..
                            I love the history of it all.. the Waco Suspension Bridge over the Brazos from 1869 is quite the sight... its amazing to walk that bridge knowing how and who used it to bring those "longhorns" here.

Sry.. starting to ramble here..

James R. Mead arrived in Kansas Territory from his family home in Iowa in the spring of 1859. His journey west was a young man’s adventure undertaken only with vague ideas of what he might do or just where he might go. He was 23 years old and soon fell under the spell of the wide open spaces of the plains, the prospect of encounters with Indians, and the great herds of buffalo. This lively memoir, long out of print, chronicles his life and experiences in Kansas from Territorial days to early statehood. In it we are taken along pioneer trails to Indian camps, sometimes in the company of Jesse Chisholm, William “Buffalo Bill” Matthewson, and Kit Carson; at other times with famous Indians such as Satanta, War Chief of the Kiowas. Mr. Mead’s career on the plains began as a buffalo hunter, which he soon abandoned in favor of trading with the Indians, and then went on to become a town founder and State Senator. To order go to: www.rowfantpress.com

Ks became a state Jan. 29th, of 1861.
                            Last edited by Zmaxhunter; 03-10-2021, 10:53 PM.

Comment

My brother in law and sister used to work on the Turkey Track Ranch, which is where the Battle of Adobe Walls took place. About all I have lol

Comment

Working...
                              X