Yellow fat/stuff on deer meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yellow fat/stuff on deer meat?

I've cut up alot of deer meat, but never seen this. Anyone else ever seen it or know what it is?
    Attached Files

The one I cut up this weekend had the same thing. Not sure what it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve cut up a lot of deer and never seen meat so pale. Looks like chicken. I’d get rid of that stuff

Comment

Looks like you soaked it an ice cooler for a period of time (pale meat) and the fat areas absorbed the liquid making it change colors.

Comment

I’ve never seen that. Not sure what to tell you. I hate to throw good meat away but that might be relegated to the dog

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            Looks like you soaked it an ice cooler for a period of time (pale meat) and the fat areas absorbed the liquid making it change colors.
            this

Comment

Originally posted by Allpublic View Post
              I've cut up alot of deer meat, but never seen this. Anyone else ever seen it or know what it is?

Was it a doe by chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with the meat looking like it soaked in water, but I have no idea what the yellow junk is.

Comment

I did keep it in a cooler, iced and drained, for 6 days. Hence the pale color. But the yellow stuff was on/in him from the get-go. He was an older buck and rutting hard. Don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

Comment

A deer’s sex, age and physical condition closer to winter are the three biggest factors affecting the color of fat that hunters see when processing a deer.

Comment

I’ve seen this before (yellow fat) and it never stopped me from eating the meat. Thanks for the link, I never knew what caused it.

Comment

Just old man fat. Some of yall have seen it just not on a deer. Im fat, just not old.

Comment

Catabolizing adipose tissue. The deer was burning fat reserves for energy.

Comment

It's perfectly normal and fine.

Comment

That is very common on cows. I'm talking cull cows, not feedlot animals. It comes from the carotene in the forage that they have been eating.

Comment

Working...
                              X