Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basic fly tying patterns for bass and panfish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kreelex flies are easy to tie and work great for lots of species. Mop is easy and downright deadly on cold and warm water fish.

Comment

Lots of good flies for bass, but if I had to pick 1 fly for bass it would be either a conehead woolley bugger (olive or black in size 2, 4 or 6 for bass) or a Clouser minnow (shad or bluegill color in size 4 up to 2/0). Good baitfish imitations will never go wrong. A VERY close 2nd pick would be a frog fly. The only reason I'd pick a weighted streamer over a topwater frog is that the sub-surface flies will work all day long. Top water works best early and late - especially in the summer when the sun is hot and high in the sky.

Comment

look up "slow sinking spider" they catch anything pretty much

I've had days where that's all i threw and caught bass, crappie, bream, and a carp on the same fly

Comment

These are all great suggestions. Keep them coming

Comment

Clousers and boogers in olive, white and black with a touch of flash will catch almost any bass or panfish. I tie a ton of super small poppers for bluegills, but they’re now my go to for bass. I’ve noticed smaller is better for bass and panfish on the fly, at least where I’m at. You might try a San Jaun worm in a few different variations for a while, probably the waisted fly to tie and will catch bluegills all day!

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
              Are you still using a lead wrap with the bead or just using the bead with no other weight added?
              I use just the bead most of the time, it gives it a good jigging action in the water.

Comment

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hTnxvSlp6v4&list=PLlXEim6I9OMW03nWdg9XA72U PzWstxhIt"]How I Tie the Fat Baby My 2nd Favorite Bass Fly - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I've been a tyer all my life. Many of my flies have been in books and magazines. I try to do everything perfect. One time at a festival a fellow walked up to me and asked if I'd look at his flies. He opened his fly box and and revealed a bunch of truly ugly flies. I looked at him and said" I wish I could tie flies like that" and I was being serious. Fish those ugly flies. They catch fish.

Comment

Tight line productions on YouTube is fantastic for learning patterns

Golden Retriever is my favorite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a good friend who fishes the rivers a bunch and he ties some long wooley buggars that are pretty deadly. They are weighted and tied on longer shanked and larger hooks than I am use to seeing for wooley buggars. And he uses longer hackle than I am use to seeing on wooley buggars so they are real buggy looking flies. When I first saw them I thought ok, yeah, that's not what a wooley buggar is supposed to look like. But they catch fish like crazy. He ties more in whites, tans and other colors than the traditional black and olive that you see so much. We used them for guadalupe bass and they ate them well as well as some largemouth here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
                        I've been a tyer all my life. Many of my flies have been in books and magazines. I try to do everything perfect. One time at a festival a fellow walked up to me and asked if I'd look at his flies. He opened his fly box and and revealed a bunch of truly ugly flies. I looked at him and said" I wish I could tie flies like that" and I was being serious. Fish those ugly flies. They catch fish.
                        Not to hijack from the OP but I’d love to see some of your stuff. I used to try and be perfect but always ended up tying “sell quality” and “guide fly” quality, never magazine quality

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                          Not to hijack from the OP but I’d love to see some of your stuff. I used to try and be perfect but always ended up tying “sell quality” and “guide fly” quality, never magazine quality
                          Absolutely, all of this is great info. I’m glad I started this thread. I’m getting some great ideas. I bet the longer woolies do look pretty buggy.

Comment

I’ll second the bunny leech, that is one easy fly to tie and I’ve caught a whole bunch of stuff on one. Purple/black is a good color combo, as is all white.

Comment

Also, how does everyone keep their materials organized? I have stuff everywhere

Comment

A Leftys Deceiver is an excellent Bass fly. Yellow or chartreuse with white and a black Perline. Bass killer.

Comment

Working...
                                X