Western hunting for dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Western hunting for dummies

I’ve been trying to figure out how you know what to put in for, and I just don’t get it. Can anyone please break down what to do to apply for elk or mule deer in Co, NM, AZ, WY, and/or MT? I can’t figure out the preference points, OTC, first draw, etc. I am just too dumb to figure out what to do to try and get a cow elk.

Here’s my goal. Figure out the nonresident license/tag system so that I can decide how much money I can expect to spend in comparison to the likelihood that I will get a chance to hunt. Then I’d like to understand if at that point I need to find a guide, do a drop camp, or just go up there on the cheap and spend the first time learning.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get yourself a GoHunt membership and a OnX for the states you are interested in. After that, start going through both those tools frequently while also going onto the game and fish website for the state you are looking at.

I know it’s confusing at first but once you spend time studying and reading it becomes easily understood. I’ve personally learned a lot of info on Rokslide. It is exclusively a western hunting site.

Good luck to you!

Comment

Unless you can hook up with a group that has some experience. I would pick a state and get a guide. This should get your foot in the door and shave some years off your elk hunting education.

Comment

You can also use a service called Epic outdoors or either Huntin’ fool. If you become a member they have consultants that can advise you on when and what to put tags in for. Also give advice and a database on the most productive units. They also have a tag service that will automatically apply you to fit the hunt strategy you chose. However, I got tired of trying to draw tags and accumulate points and just said forget it. Will hunt private land with guaranteed landowner tags and a guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Archery or rifle?

Do you have gear to car camp? If so, you are well on your way to a diy trip.

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
            Unless you can hook up with a group that has some experience. I would pick a state and get a guide. This should get your foot in the door and shave some years off your elk hunting education.
            I've always heard this too from folks with experience. Go with a guide a couple times and learn then later go on your own. Should have done the same when I was younger but didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Rcole1310 View Post
              You can also use a service called Epic outdoors or either Huntin’ fool. If you become a member they have consultants that can advise you on when and what to put tags in for. Also give advice and a database on the most productive units. They also have a tag service that will automatically apply you to fit the hunt strategy you chose. However, I got tired of trying to draw tags and accumulate points and just said forget it. Will hunt private land with guaranteed landowner tags and a guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sure the private land is more expensive, but does the guide handle the tags, or do you somehow find the tag then use an outfitter separately to run the hunt?

Comment

For Wyoming, watch Randy's video on applying up here: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs873DtNSjo"]How To Hunt Elk In Wyoming | Application Season - YouTube[/ame]

Some states guides will submit apps for you. I would not trust that personally. Never know if they make a mistake til its too late. Tag app services can be good but you pay for the service.

A cow elk hunt would not require a guide to learn, tags are fairly cheap and a good way to learn some things yourself.

You are late for Wyoming this year, some leftover tags will be available in summer for draw. All licenses in Wyoming are a draw and cow elk tags, reduced price ones are random draw, not PP.
                Colorado is just now taking apps. Hunting there is fine, more pressure and folks but many do well, some do not.

Look over HuntTalk, Rokslide and Monster Muleys. They all have threads on applying out west.

Most states have many different licenses available, that is the confusing part.
                Also they have application deadlines that you need to watch to get in. Wyoming is the earliest and PP can be bought in summer.

Comment

Decide what state you want to hunt. Go through their fish and game department and learn the application process. Pick and animal. narrow down units to desired hunt outcome. Several services out there that will help with unit and hunt selection such as gohunt, huntinfool, eastmans, toprut, etc.

No need to pay for a guide with all the tools available today. Literature, research papers, satellite imagery, etc. But, this all comes down to how much time and energy you're willing to put into it to be successful in punching a tag.

All of it seems overwhelming, but in reality its all pretty simple. My biggest advice would be have a folder where you keep all info and credentials organized. Makes the whole tag application processes much easier.

Comment

Colorado has a help line and they will walk you through the whole thing.

Comment

Colorado does have a great help line. You can also call WG&F or a local regional office and someone will also help with apps.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                        I’ve been trying to figure out how you know what to put in for, and I just don’t get it. Can anyone please break down what to do to apply for elk or mule deer in Co, NM, AZ, WY, and/or MT? I can’t figure out the preference points, OTC, first draw, etc. I am just too dumb to figure out what to do to try and get a cow elk.

Here’s my goal. Figure out the nonresident license/tag system so that I can decide how much money I can expect to spend in comparison to the likelihood that I will get a chance to hunt. Then I’d like to understand if at that point I need to find a guide, do a drop camp, or just go up there on the cheap and spend the first time learning.

Any suggestions?

Become a member https://www.huntinfool.com/ then call them tell them what your goals are and they will square you away. Super good folks, very friendly and helpful and arguably the most knowledgeable bunch when it comes to western hunting and apply or over the counter.

Comment

OP, you're overwhelming yourself. I know because I did the same thing.

I did the following things to figure some of this out and I'm still learning.

1. Read through the entire elk thread on here. - http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=250231

2. Get a copy of Cameron Hanes' book - https://www.cameronhanes.com/product...whunting-book/

3. Pick one state to focus on. CO is probably the most popular.

Comment

Agreed with getting a GoHunt membership and using their Filtering 2.0 tool in conjunction with reading the strategy articles for different states/species. They do a great job of explaining the ins and outs of the different draw processes.

Comment

Great info in this thread.

I'm looking at the same daunting task.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X