No announcement yet.

How many acres per hunter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its hard to generalize, really depends on the specific property, and the surrounding properties. This is the minimum amount I would generally consider for each region based on deer density and terrain. Personally, I would use this for bow and gun.

East Texas (north and south) 100-150

West Texas (West of Abilene and San Angelo)

300-350

South Texas

100-150

Hill Country

50-100

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      That's a good question. I think most places go by how much total split by how much people are willing to pay.
      The area we are in there are good numbers of deer, a ton of pigs and turkeys. But the land we are looking to lease is $15 per acre.
      Personally I'd like to put four people on it but $3000 a bow is pretty high for most folks.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
      I'd be glad to help you out with those Turkeys

Comment

Thanks for the insights. But I was really talking about how many acres per hunter for safety, staying out of each others way, etc. Not all that many deer, but gobs of hogs at times.

I have no idea how many acres/deer this country can hold, but pine woods is rather low, and 6 per 150 acres might be close.
        Last edited by SJP51; 01-22-2021, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
          Thanks for the insights. But I was really talking about how many acres per hunter for safety, staying out of each others way, etc. Not all that many deer, but gobs of hogs at times.

I have no idea how many acres/deer this country can hold, but pine woods is rather low.
          Well I'd say the same. I hunted a place with 5 hunters on 300 acres. Hill country. Plenty of deer. But I tried to tag out during bow season. Opening weekend of rifle season was loud and a tad uneasy.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I've not been on a great number of leases, but the ones I was on opening week is the only time you had to worry about the "mob" showing up.

Some one said something about 'more people than deer" on the place, well, in E Tx someone may actually see that phantom deer.

In E Tx, we used to hunt 50 acres and never be bothered. Some areas will hold 4,6,or 8 deer and the next 50 or 100 acres might have none.

Bow hunting. Rifle, more care is needed.

Comment

I saw some statics that showed the average deer per acre of the major regions of Texas.

The one take away I took was E. Texas overall average is 1 deer for every 50 acres. Of course this varies and is a broad brush approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                I saw some statics that showed the average deer per acre of the major regions of Texas.

The one take away I took was E. Texas overall average is 1 deer for every 50 acres. Of course this varies and is a broad brush approach.
                There are a lot less here than most other places I've hunted. Up in the pines there's just nothing to eat, and there are lots and lost of pines.

Comment

8 people on 5500 ac and it's still crowded

Comment

depends on the terrain and forage available.

Comment

5 men 7500 ac

Comment

Originally posted by Johnson View Post
                        5 men 7500 ac
                        this is what dreams are made of!

6 on 5010 here

Comment

we have 7 on 2400 acres with no issues

Comment

I used to bring two buddies with me to bow hunt 120 acres in Brazos Co. Always felt safe.

Comment

Working...
                            X