Meat handling after the kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat handling after the kill

So I just read through the post that was bumped about wet aging. After reading it, I thought about this question. I have had people tell me both ways.

Question is, after cleaning a deer do you let the meat get wet? Such as washing it off while deer is hanging or even soaking in an ice chest for a couple of days versus keeping it dry by putting in bags so ice dont melt around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve washed it, had ice melt, and washed it again before sealing. I don’t notice any difference one way or another.

Comment

Keep it dry ! And get it cold ASAP ! We don’t process beef, pork, chicken soaking in water or ( wet) why would you. Unless of course your making bacon, or ham. Venison tofu if that’s what you like.
      Last edited by critter69; 10-15-2019, 08:07 PM.

Comment

I think the problem with getting it wet is that wet meat can promote bacteria growth unlike having a nice dry skinned over outside that preserves the meat.

Comment

Sometimes it just depends on where you're at when you kill them it's not always convenient to keep the meat dry and also cool it off quickly.

I've thrown it directly in the ice for years when needed and never had a problem with anything. Just drain the water a couple times a day and keep adding fresh ice on it until you process.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
            Sometimes it just depends on where you're at when you kill them it's not always convenient to keep the meat dry and also cool it off quickly.

I've thrown it directly in the ice for years when needed and never had a problem with anything. Just drain the water a couple times a day and keep adding fresh ice on it until you process.

That’s typically the way I do it and most of the other people im around. In theory I fill like it would be better to keep it dry. Just doesn’t always happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've always cleaned my deer, washed the quarter's off, chilled, then placed in trash bags in cooler full of ice. Add ice every day and bone out the next week when time permits. The big thing is to make sure the meat cools down before putting in the bags. Always had good luck with this method.

Comment

I spray mine off when I finish skinning it to get rid of any hair or dirt that might be on the meat. Then I put it in the cooler and put ice on top of it. I pull the drain and keep ice on it for 3-7 days.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

This^^^
                  I age my deer 1 week on ice, draining every day and add more Ice as needed. No issues here. Pigs get 10 days to 2 weeks on ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                    I spray mine off when I finish skinning it to get rid of any hair or dirt that might be on the meat. Then I put it in the cooler and put ice on top of it. I pull the drain and keep ice on it for 3-7 days.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
                    This is how I do it.. I do my best to clean it without getting hair on it but it never works out completely so I wash it off.. ice it down and leave the drain plug out of the cooler..

Comment

Quarter, rinse and in cooler on ice with drain plug opened. Has worked for 25 years

Comment

I tend to let mine hang overnight if possible, skinned but not quartered. After that I'll quarter and put them in an ice chest, with or without ice depending on the outside temperature. Usually go from there to the fridge, or add ice to the chest, for a couple of days till I get it cut up. No complaints. Same as the other folks, been doing it this way forever.

Comment

I let mine sit in an ice chest with the plug out for 5-7 days. It’s always yummy when we eat it!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

This. Plus, I’ve washed deer (that had gut penetration) with a water hose to no ill effects. I’ve lost count of the deer and antelope I’ve brought back in ice chests. It is absolutely no problem if it’s done as Reaper said. The meat is much less bloody as well.

Comment

Shoot/gut/rinse/quarter/ice. repeat

Comment

Working...
                              X