This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Veterans benefit claim

So I met a vet and we sat and talked for a while. He asked if I got my percentage.

I explained I didn't retire and wasn't disabled.

This guy is legitimately disabled but he is gaming the system for all its worth.
    I'm not comfortable with that.

I got out 25 years ago. I did get injured and lost some vision while I was in the service but because it was the result of a motorcycle accident I assumed it didn't qualify for veterans help. He claims it does.

Anyone here have any insight into the Texas Vet system. I don't want to take advantage but I do have documented (by the Navy) vision loss from way back when.

If it happened while you were in the service,and it's documented in your medical records then it's service connected.

DJ

Comment

Is it covered even if it happened while screwing around on your own time?

Comment

I am not a vet, but as a citizen I always tell vets to get what you can. That is one thing that we as citizen's can never pay enough. If you can get retirement or disability for your service and still work, then do it!! The time you and your family gave earned whatever you can get.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
          So I met a vet and we sat and talked for a while. He asked if I got my percentage.

I explained I didn't retire and wasn't disabled.

This guy is legitimately disabled but he is gaming the system for all its worth.
          I'm not comfortable with that.

I got out 25 years ago. I did get injured and lost some vision while I was in the service but because it was the result of a motorcycle accident I assumed it didn't qualify for veterans help. He claims it does.

Anyone here have any insight into the Texas Vet system. I don't want to take advantage but I do have documented (by the Navy) vision loss from way back when.
          Way too many milking the system and its disgusting. Guys think they are owed a check the rest of their life just cause. You have the right attitude about it. I say if you weren't injured in action or training for action you don't get squat. The VA is the biggest welfare system out there right now, completely ripe with fraud and the reason that veterans that actually need help often get none or inadequate care.

Comment

My son is rated at 80% disabled due to dislocating and ruining both shoulders in an Army sanctioned boxing match.

Go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
              Way too many milking the system and its disgusting. Guys think they are owed a check the rest of their life just cause. You have the right attitude about it. I say if you weren't injured in action or training for action you don't get squat. The VA is the biggest welfare system out there right now, completely ripe with fraud and the reason that veterans that actually need help often get none or inadequate care.
              What about the thousand who are now service connected disability due to diseases theyve caught (cancer, etc) related to Agent Orange exposure? Do you feel they qualify even though they werent technically injured in combat or training?

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
                What about the thousand who are now service connected disability due to diseases theyve caught (cancer, etc) related to Agent Orange exposure? Do you feel they qualify even though they werent technically injured in combat or training?
                How is being injured by chemicals during action not being injured in action? Yes they qualify.

Comment

How is being injured by chemicals during action not being injured in action? Yes they qualify.
                  Well more or less because the injury doesnt show up until years down the road so I was just curious if that met your standard...

Comment

There's not really a Texas Vet system. There are county vet offices that help you deal with the fed system.

Comment

I lost my first cousin to that stuff... He did 7 tours in Nam, and it messed him up bad! After he got out of the Army, he was sick all the time... lost all his hair, bad rashes would just break out, finally at the ripe old ate of 40, his liver and one kidney quit... he died a miserable death that I wouldn't want to wish on anyone... His wife and kids were never the same either... Back then though, folks didn't want to take a hand out... things sure have changed since the late seventies!

Comment

Well more or less because the injury doesnt show up until years down the road so I was just curious if that met your standard...

I got injured twice when I was in. 15 years later complications from those injuries reared its ugly head. I've been fighting with the V.A. just to hear my case for over a year now and I am still no closer to getting a response.

To the OP, be prepared for it to take forever if you try to get a claim going. No matter how much documentation you have, they drag their feet.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                          I lost my first cousin to that stuff... He did 7 tours in Nam, and it messed him up bad! After he got out of the Army, he was sick all the time... lost all his hair, bad rashes would just break out, finally at the ripe old ate of 40, his liver and one kidney quit... he died a miserable death that I wouldn't want to wish on anyone... His wife and kids were never the same either... Back then though, folks didn't want to take a hand out... things sure have changed since the late seventies!
                          My dad was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma when I was a freshman in high school. Somehow it was linked to Agent Orange exposure in vietnam and the effects of it, chemo, and radiation to get into remission left him unable to work the rest of his life and he's been 100% disabled since he was 50...
                          Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                          I got injured twice when I was in. 15 years later complications from those injuries reared its ugly head. I've been fighting with the V.A. just to hear my case for over a year now and I am still no closer to getting a response.

To the OP, be prepared for it to take forever if you try to get a claim going. No matter how much documentation you have, they drag their feet.
                          It shouldn't be that hard...

Comment

The ships that brought it in theater and the aircraft that delivered it on target were all contaminated.Ship and air crews were exposed to it without even knowing long after the war.

DJ

Comment

I've got hearing loss from shooting 60 and 81mm mortars for 4 years and a messed up ankle from a broken leg. The VA is not user friendly. F 'em and the horse they rode in on.

Comment

Working...
                              X