Militarized police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
    If you're an infantrymen, perhaps you should have to wear something that's easier for the enemy to see. I see no problem with all black or jungle camo for SWAT, whatever camouflages the good guys better against someone trying to kill them.

Maybe the military should send you guys into Iraq or Afghanistan strictly in humvees, you know, something equal to a technical that a band of terrorists would be equipped with. No need for a M1 Abrams or an armored personnel carrier. Since war is fair and all.....

Calm down bud. I'm all for the cops. Just don't support GI Joe'n them out.

Comment

An armored 2+ ton truck is not required to counter a shooter inside a building. I don't remember there being an issue in San Bernadino with the police who responded being out gunned, but I have been wrong before.

I think it would make a great shoot-first platform for border patrol.

Comment

I recommend some of you guys go on a "ride out" or look into a citizens police academy. It is obviously clear that y'all have the wrong impression of Police or their "purpose".

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
          Calm down bud. I'm all for the cops. Just don't support GI Joe'n them out.

I'm calm, just curious about your rationale.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
            An armored 2+ ton truck is not required to counter a shooter inside a building. I don't remember there being an issue in San Bernadino with the police who responded being out gunned, but I have been wrong before.

sure, until that shooter starts shooting out of a window.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post

It could be used as a shield to keep the cops from getting shot while approaching the building to enter and engage the suspect.

Comment

Conspiracy much?

Yep, the cops do need this stuff. The bad guys aren't packing 6 shooters anymore.

Comment

Militarized police

In glad they have something like that. I Didn't read all the post but wasn't it in LA years ago where they were in a fire fight against AR's and they had pistols? If I remember right they had to get weapons from guns stores or pawn shops to even it out.

Comment

Comment

This one was used to help protect the Pope on his visit

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
                        If you're an infantrymen, perhaps you should have to wear something that's easier for the enemy to see. I see no problem with all black or jungle camo for SWAT, whatever camouflages the good guys better against someone trying to kill them.

Maybe the military should send you guys into Iraq or Afghanistan strictly in humvees, you know, something equal to a technical that a band of terrorists would be equipped with. No need for a M1 Abrams or an armored personnel carrier. Since war is fair and all.....
                        I've seen your points and pretty much agreed with you until this point. Us Fighting insurgents in Afghanistan is much different than the typical duties of police protecting and serving the citizens of the United States over here. We don't patrol in Afghanistan to give traffic tickets and respond to burglaries, robberies, etc. We go find engage, close with and destroy the enemy. To compare those two is a bit of a stretch I believe. How many officers have you known to have their patrol car hit an IED here in the states? Two different jobs, needing two different sets of tools.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not in the group of oh police shouldn't have any military gear. I think yall should have whatever you need to do your job and get home to your families at the end of the day. But it's that mentality that's becoming so common of what seems like Us vs them with police that is a bit nerve racking. If you look at a daily patrol in your community, neighborhood which you chose to serve and protect, in your mind the same as an infantryman on mission in a combat zone, deployed to war.. Is it hard to see why people get uneasy?

Comment

Originally posted by Iehooligan11b View Post
                          I've seen your points and pretty much agreed with you until this point. Us Fighting insurgents in Afghanistan is much different than the typical duties of police protecting and serving the citizens of the United States over here. We don't patrol in Afghanistan to give traffic tickets and respond to burglaries, robberies, etc. We go find engage, close with and destroy the enemy. To compare those two is a bit of a stretch I believe. How many officers have you known to have their patrol car hit an IED here in the states? Two different jobs, needing two different sets of tools.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not in the group of oh police shouldn't have any military gear. I think yall should have whatever you need to do your job and get home to your families at the end of the day. But it's that mentality that's becoming so common of what seems like Us vs them with police that is a bit nerve racking. If you look at a daily patrol in your community, neighborhood which you chose to serve and protect, in your mind the same as an infantryman on mission in a combat zone, deployed to war.. Is it hard to see why people get uneasy?
                          tell me how often you guys see these vehicles rolling down your city streets? patrol officers aren't answering calls in these, just like they aren't answering calls in scary camo. these vehicles only come out when they need to, and scary camo'd men only come out when they need to.

most citizens have no idea that their police departments have stuff like this.

Comment

why should the police show up to a knife fight with a knife?
                            Someone wants a gun fight- show up with superior firepower or vehicles to withstand firepower.

I've seen guys on here post with multiple weapons that far surpass most police departments. An AR15 is not much good against a 338 Lapua with someone with a tactical real estate advantage.

Is it needed in most situations? No
                            Do you want it there if needed to be safe? yes

Comment

The police have been using armored vehicles since there were armored vehicles. They have been using automatic weapons since they came into existence. I am fairly certain that Bonnie and Clyde were shot up with automatic weapons 80 years ago.

I would dare say that the world we live in today is quite a bit different than back then.

My city of about 55,000 people and 90 square miles has one such vehicle. We have used it a few times to end hostage situations and be able to get close to the objective. In a county of a little over a quarter of a million people, there are three such units.

They are all the Lenco Bear or Bearcat and not quite typical military looking MRAP although they are essentially the same.... minus the weaponry.

I doubt if the local police decided to take over populace in a renegade attempt at overthrowing authority, one vehicle for every 400 square miles (average for my county) isn't going to cut it.

The "militarization" beliefs seems misplaced.

I would bet that many people posting in this forum are often angered at people that don't like weapons like the AR-15, AK-47 or even some shotguns because "they look scary". In fact people that are considered part of that anti-gun faction are often called sheeple and ridiculed as being stupid for having irrational fears of weapons. I agree.

Strangely many of those very same people that comment on people being stupid for being afraid of "scary looking" guns in the hands of civilians...... make the same comments about the police having a single "scary looking" vehicle.

If the police were stocking up on these things like a 20 man department having half a dozen of them or my 127 man department having 20, I could see the argument. Having a single armored vehicle for a mid-sized department to protect officers (very few of them) and rescue innocent hostages seems like looking for a fire where none exists.

My county have 5 city police departments, a sheriff department, five constable offices and various other police agencies. There are probably a total of about 550-600 officers in the county. They are going to be mighty crowded trying to cram into 3 vehicles that can comfortably carry about 40 officers total.

But wait, the cops have those scary guns also.... the same ones that civiilians can buy over the counter at Walmart...............

Comment

Originally posted by Iehooligan11b View Post

So, using your example, do you feel that engaging 2 terrorists that possess high-powered rifles a typical duty of the police? I don't. It's a special vehicle for a special purpose.

The only time it's us vs them is when "them" is trying to kill "us". I'm not trying to equate my daily patrol duties as anything similar to patrolling a town in Iraq or Afghanistan. Most of the people I come into contact with are friendly people and are on our side. Don't let the media influence you about a war between police and the citizens of this country. The bleeding heart liberal's are in charge of the mainstream media and they are the ones responsible for creating this anti-police propaganda and they continue to add fuel to the flames.

Comment

Working...
                                X