Cpap questions/help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by castlegaphunter View Post
    Was wondering if any of you guys wear a cpap and could maybe lend some advise ? Was recently looking online at different masks, etc and found out you have to have a prescription for the machine. I'd like to just buy one and get the accessories online that I like without doing a sleep study or going to the doc. Any help is appreciated.
    You can buy the CPAP. The setting is an RX from the Doctor

Comment

Can you sleep on your stomach with a cpap? I toss and turn and would probably strangle myself wearing one.

Comment

On my second machine now with new type nasal pillows that have gel rings and gel insert on the side strap. Mine is an auto CPAP that adjusts as you sleep. One thing I have learned since getting the new one, the pressure doesn't reduce automatically. My pressure was adjusted to 16 after I did a titration sleep study, this turned out to be too much pressure and I had to wear a chin strap to keep my mouth closed. They adjusted it back to 14 and I was able to sleep without the strap.
        I had to fight my insurance for the sleep study even being on a CPAP already. After my email to them and the Dr sending a second report they approved. Don't take no for an answer. BCBS is getting crazy with their denials.
        For those that don't need CPAP but snore I would suggest a sleep appliance like a mouth guard. Friend of mine uses one and it works great according to his wife.

Comment

Cpap questions/help

Originally posted by coker737 View Post
          You can buy the CPAP. The setting is an RX from the Doctor

Where? New CPAP?

Every place I have tried requires an RX from the doctor... storefront and online.. hell I’ve seen masks require a script.

I’ve used one since 2006... and I know my settings. Just got a new one 2/3 years ago but would like to not have to go in and pay a doctor $500 to tell me my settings are the same on the next.
          Last edited by Smart; 05-17-2019, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            Where? New CPAP?

Every place I have tried requires an RX from the doctor... storefront and online.. hell I’ve seen masks require a script.

I’ve used one since 2006... and I know my settings.

Haven’t looked lately but last time I looked there were lots of new ones on CL.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
              Haven’t looked lately but last time I looked there were lots of new ones on CL.
              Prolly not a new one but I bought one from a TBH and went to UTUBE U and set up the clinicals to match my RX.

My insurance allows me a new one every 3 years so I have a CPAP Bug Out Bag as well another unit at my Ranch. Most insurance only allow every 4 years.

Comment

Pm sent to you

Comment

Originally posted by kenforu View Post
                  Pm sent to you

Have not received one yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is all good stuff. Will def be contacting insurance about their denial.

Comment

I was wearing a heart monitor and the results of that test showed that my heart would stop beating several times a night. That gasp for air is understandable as it kick starts the heart.
                      Sleep study confirmed Apnea and the desired air flow.
                      Machine has a water tank and wireless transmitter to the home health.
                      Don't jack around with Apena, it can kill.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                        I was wearing a heart monitor and the results of that test showed that my heart would stop beating several times a night. That gasp for air is understandable as it kick starts the heart.
                        Sleep study confirmed Apnea and the desired air flow.
                        Machine has a water tank and wireless transmitter to the home health.
                        Don't jack around with Apena, it can kill.

Yeah, it kinda scared me when I got my results back. I am committed now, regardless of cost.

Comment

I switched from prescribed setting to automatic after 10 years. It made a noticeable difference. My needs change throughout the night and even my averages change.

Comment

CPAP.COM
                            Cpap.com has insurance you can buy, if you are trying a new mask, the insurance will allow you to return it if you don't like it.
                            Learn about your cpap and apnea on cpap sites. Manage it yourself. Most machines have memory cards and free software you can read and verify your settings are working for you. Your apnea will change as you age. Pre cpap I would get up and go to the bathroom every night. Sleep so good I sleep through the night now. worried at first that I would miss the getting up, and would wake up wet. Now, I cannot sleep without one.
                            If your cpap is really helping you, you will not be tossing and turning all night.

A prescription is required to buy a machine, or a mask. They have always been available on ebay and craigs list. No way am I using a used machine.
                            Last edited by double bogey; 05-17-2019, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X