Homemade Pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Pastrami

This has become a family favorite around my house. Thought I would share!

For 1 whole brisket 12-15 pounds.

Kosher Salt – 1 cup
    Brown Sugar – 1 cup
    Pickling Spice - 1 TBSP
    Mustard seed – 2 TBSP
    Coriander seed – 2 TBSP
    Whole Peppercorns – 2 TBSP
    Curing Salt #1 – 4 tsp (on a dry rub you use 1 tsp per 5 pounds – in a wet brine use a little more as its diluted)

Combine all ingredients in a large pot with water and heat to almost boiling. IDK how much water I use, I just use enough to keep the brisket completely submerged. Take off heat and cool to room temp. I put a bunch of ice in it to speed it up. Trim brisket before putting in brine. Wait 3 weeks keeping it cold and completely submerged. Next step is to take it out of the brine and soak for 24 hours in water (replace water 2-3 times to help get excess salt removed). After it has soaked for a day I put back in cooler on a rack on top of ice to air dry it for another day keeping it cold. Then it is ready to be smoked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0617.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	25165001

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mmmmm. Looks yummy.

Comment

So how long do you smoke it for? Or what are you looking to do by smoking it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I focus on rendering the fat and a nice bark. If done right it is literally just like a traditional brisket except its cured. Each brisket is different on timing. Once the fat renders and it becomes super tender it's time to rest. I would say usually between 10-12 hours on the pit. I keep my smoker around 250 +/- 25 degrees.

Comment

Do you aim for the same internal temp as you would a trad brisket?

Comment

Yes I do, but for the most part I only check temp to see how far along I am. Its not a great indicator of when the brisket is finished...IMO I'm sure some people will disagree but until it gets to the tenderness I look for I will not pull it off regardless of temp.

Comment

Do you add any additional rub before putting on smoker?

Comment

I forgot to add that! I season with kosher salt, course ground black pepper and cracked coriander. I go easy on the coriander though, I haven't used it enough to know if i'm adding to much and don't want to mess it up. With the ole salt and pepper I know what i'm getting.

Comment

Awesome, thx.

Comment

I use smaller briskets and put them into a vacuum sealer bag, then add the brine. Vacuum out the air and seal the bag. This keeps the meat in complete contact with the brine and avoids spills in the fridge.

This reminds me that I have another brisket in the freezer and I love pastrami sandwiches!

Comment

tough to beat!

Comment

I used a vacuum sealer bag for this brisket. I managed to get most of the air out but not all of it. I kept it in the yeti full of ice water and every 3 or 4 days I would drain some water and add a bag of ice on top. This worked well keeping the meat completely submerged and no contact with air. I could definitely use a spare fridge for curing meats. I've got a venison top round in my pastrami brine now and I've also wanted to try to do some canadian bacon.

Comment

Looks good

Comment

What do you coat it in before smoking? I use coriander and cracked black pepper and tried Sausage Maker Pastrami Rub (NOT A FAN). I'm looking for something else to try, thinking of some garlic, black pepper, onion mix.

Comment

I haven’t been real adventurous on the seasoning. Just kosher salt, course black pepper and cracked coriander. So far the result has been awesome and it’s hard for me to start adding to it. However I don’t think you can go wrong if what you add goes well with pastrami.

Comment

Working...
                              X