Shooting does with fawns/yearlings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting does with fawns/yearlings

When do the does cut loose of the young ‘uns? I’ve never felt it etical to shoot a doe with offspring tagging along. But c’mon. It’s December. Donthe little tads still need mama?

Shoot both...problem solved

I feel the same. I won’t shoot momma with a side kick. I’m also hesitant to pull the trigger on a doe late youth season for fear she’s been bred
    Just my 2 cents

Comment

Yearlings get thwacked.....doe with a true fawn get a pass.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Fawns are weaned out at 3 months. And if the moms are killed while young the fawn bucks usually stay in the area.

Comment

No matter when you shoot the doe, she ain’t having anymore fawns. Don’t overthink it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The real question is, is a 7-8 month old a fawn?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

On our lease We try not to shoot does if they have a yearling with them but life happens. We also have a deadline weekend that we must have our does killed by which is a few weeks before rut, after that no more slick heads killed.

Comment

I had several good shot opportunities on public land doe a few weeks ago but man their fawns were TINY so I passed. Usually wouldn't worry about it too much this late in the season though, aside from predators they should be self sufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  No matter when you shoot the doe, she ain’t having anymore fawns. Don’t overthink it.

Not really the point in this topic...

Sure miss those days of being able to hunt a lease for a nominal cost that didn’t create greed and a feeling of despair if you didn’t kill something!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

This!
                    Shoot em early = no fawns,
                    shoot em late = no fawns.

Comment

If the fawns have spots, I won’t shoot the doe. If the fawn is spotless, it’s game on!!!

Bisch

Comment

If possible I personally look for older does OR younger does. I always pass on does that still have two tagging along, but have taken them with a single yearling. I also agree with Bisch. Moms with spotted fawns always get a pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                          If the fawns have spots, I won’t shoot the doe. If the fawn is spotless, it’s game on!!!

Bisch

This is where I’m at. If the fawn is eating corn it has its own survival skills too. It will continue to hang with the same group of does.

Comment

Hunting public can be hard so I am eager to get meat but my rule is I let the doe walk if the fawn has spots. What’s weird is last night I saw a fawn with a couple does that looked absolutely tiny rubbing away from me with just a green flash light I coukdnt tell if it had spots but was shocked at how small it was fir this time of year.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                              The real question is, is a 7-8 month old a fawn?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                              A fawn can breed for the first time at 6 months of age...(typically by December in north central Texas).

If she is over six months of age, then she is not considered a fawn to me and is fair game for the table.

Comment

Working...
                              X