Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Called in a bobcat this evening but.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
    I tracked one that doubled back on his trail. All total, that cat ran about 60 yards. It had been shot with a 150gr 30.06 bullet through the shoulders. Very tricky trail.
    This terrain was a booger and it was gettin dark. I didn't get to look near as thoroughly as I would have liked. I've shot several over the years and haven't had one run that far in that thick of cover before so it's gonna be a challenge finding him maybe. But when my buddy goes and looks it won't be lookin near as dark so that may make all the difference in the world. He may pick up blood or tracks where I couldn't.....I hope.

Comment

If my directions to where the fur is were worth a dang I think my buddy will probably find him. Keep your fingers crossed.

Comment

Shot one woith a 22 that i never found, but the one I have mounted was with a bow and i skewered him from front to back at about 15 yards and he did not go far!

Comment

I've had a few run on me before but none very far up until this point. I felt confident in the shot and I am confident that cat wasn't alive before I had even stood up to go look for it. I am normally pretty good about knowing when a critter is hit but no signs of blood really made me question everything I know or what I thought I knew. The only thing that made me think I was right in thinking it was a good hit was I know cats and even coyotes don't leave much of a blood trail. Admittedly I haven't tracked many bobcats. I haven't had to honestly, not to sound arrogant or anything like that. I've just been fortunate and lucky enough that all but two have dropped where they stood. And that's all it is, is luck. But the few I have had run reacted the same way when they were hit.

I could have/ should have shot it in the head. But.....I can say could have or should have all day long. That's not what I did and now I have a bobcat laying out there somewhere. If it's meant to be my buddy or me will find him. If not..........coyotes will probably eat him
          Last edited by okrattler; 12-06-2020, 11:24 PM.

Comment

This is why I really want a thermal monocular. Situations like this to give you an edge on finding him. Something like the LTO or FLIR Scout

Comment

Cats are tough tough. Tracked a few in my life and never a Bob at the end. Mostly guided tracks but one was mine. He soaked up a 300wsm and never found that joker. You have to kill them DRT or the chances of finding them is very slim.

Comment

I've only had a couple run and it was only 3 or 4 jumps and down.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Look under brush and the thickest cover as they will try to hide under something if hit and hurting. They don't bleed much as the winter coat will soak most of the blood up. I would bring in a cold nosed hound if possible. I have recovered lost of them for hunters and myself when I promise you they would not be found otherwise. Many of them were recovered when still alive but would have suffered a miserable death.
                  If lots of hair, examine the color of the hair. If lot of white hair may have gone low and out of vitals.
                  Good luck and Adios,
                  Gary

Comment

My buddy found him right away. Said I was within 3 feet of him two times. He saw my tracks in what little snow there was.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Glad you found him, pretty cat.

Comment

Good looking cat

Comment

That was the exit side so I guess he was quartered to me slightly. My buddy said it was a good hit.

Comment

Pretty looking cat. Very glad your friend found it for you.

You gonna get it mounted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                              Pretty looking cat. Very glad your friend found it for you.

You gonna get it mounted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              It'll go to a fur buyer. Unless my buddy wants to get it mounted or somethin.

Comment

Glad you found him, congrats! Good looking cat.

Comment

Working...
                                X