Menard 2020-2021 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
    Headed up Wednesday night. My only time to have more than a weekend.
    Gary if you are available, I would be happy to take you to the Ladle for lunch. Just say when.
    I'm headed up Wednesday night as well. Wanna get a few hunts in before the gun crowd shows up!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HunterU View Post
      I'm headed up Wednesday night as well. Wanna get a few hunts in before the gun crowd shows up!
      My thoughts exactly.
      Once the bullets start flying, seems like many will start changing their habits.

Comment

Headed up Wednesday night. My only time to have more than a weekend.
        Gary if you are available, I would be happy to take you to the Ladle for lunch. Just say when.
        My nephew did some very poor planning...he's getting married this weekend. My bride and I are going to leave here on Thursday to help with the wedding and reception. I hope to be back here on Sunday.
        Thanks and have a great and safe hunt!
        Adios,
        Gary

Comment

How is Ojedas cafe? Anybody been?

Comment

Yes, that is where we had to go. They had a drive through only sign up also, but told us to come in.

Not my first choice, but it was actually good this time.
            Do they have a bar inside?

Comment

Anyone seeing any pre-rut action around Menard, especially North and West of town? I didn’t see any interaction between bucks and does last weekend. I’m skipping this weekend as I’m sure everyone and their brother will be in a blind.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Evil View Post
                Anyone seeing any pre-rut action around Menard, especially North and West of town? I didn’t see any interaction between bucks and does last weekend. I’m skipping this weekend as I’m sure everyone and their brother will be in a blind.

Thanks
                I'm here now. WNW of town. I'll let you know after the morning hunt tomorrow what it looks like for me.

Comment

Ojeda's is great food but no bar. Lazy Ladle has good food as well. Taco Express and Menard Donuts have breakfast food. Bowie's has fast food including Pizza.
                  Higginbotham's has most everything you will need. Compton's Warehouse and Kothmann Country Store will have feed, corn, etc. Droppin' Brass behind Comptons will have guns, ammo and some optics. Burnham Brothers will have camo clothes, some ammo and game calls and scents as well as free advice.
                  I have not seen any rutting activity other than a couple of yearling bucks pushing each other around. I think that we will see more activity next week as this would be more normal.
                  Hunters Blowout is this Saturday but are limited to 200 attendees and all tickets are sold.
                  As far as a local bar, I recommend the Menard Country Club but you will need to go with a member. Many of the local ranchers are members and could possibly get you in. I am a member and will be glad to take you if I am around. If you attend, this is an excellent opportunity to meet some of the local folks and catch up on the local gossip.
                  Adios,
                  Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                    Ojeda's is great food but no bar. Lazy Ladle has good food as well. Taco Express and Menard Donuts have breakfast food. Bowie's has fast food including Pizza.
                    Higginbotham's has most everything you will need. Compton's Warehouse and Kothmann Country Store will have feed, corn, etc. Droppin' Brass behind Comptons will have guns, ammo and some optics. Burnham Brothers will have camo clothes, some ammo and game calls and scents as well as free advice.
                    I have not seen any rutting activity other than a couple of yearling bucks pushing each other around. I think that we will see more activity next week as this would be more normal.
                    Hunters Blowout is this Saturday but are limited to 200 attendees and all tickets are sold.
                    As far as a local bar, I recommend the Menard Country Club but you will need to go with a member. Many of the local ranchers are members and could possibly get you in. I am a member and will be glad to take you if I am around. If you attend, this is an excellent opportunity to meet some of the local folks and catch up on the local gossip.
                    Adios,
                    Gary
                    Thank you sir!
                    At Lazy Ladle right now.
                    Going to get alfalfa after.

As far as activity for me this morning... I saw 1 buck! Camera shows them to constantly show up around 5-5:30 in the evening. So I've got my Hope's up for this evening.

Gun hunters are rolling in deep!

Comment

Good luck to all Menard County hunters!!! I am leaving for the wedding in Fredericksburg this afternoon and will be here next week. If I can help with something, give me a shout.
                      Adios.
                      Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                        Good luck to all Menard County hunters!!! I am leaving for the wedding in Fredericksburg this afternoon and will be here next week. If I can help with something, give me a shout.
                        Adios.
                        Gary

Safe travels sir! Thanks for all you do for us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just bought HEB out of food and drink. Won’t head that way until late Friday night.

Comment

32 shots rang out this morning.
                            I saw 3 does and that's it.

Since Thursday I haven't had much activity at my stand. Not sure what's going on. Had them everyday with the camera.

Any luck for y'all??

Comment

Menard 2020-2021 Season

Originally posted by HunterU View Post
                              32 shots rang out this morning.
                              I saw 3 does and that's it.

Since Thursday I haven't had much activity at my stand. Not sure what's going on. Had them everyday with the camera.

Any luck for y'all??

I heard about 15 shots this morning but same for me. Only 2 deer yesterday evening and 1 doe this morning. I’ve had pretty consistent photos so who knows. I’m not far from a gravel County Road and there was a craptown of traffic yesterday evening so My guess is that’s what kept them away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have a high line crew on our lease, replacing the wooden poles with the metal ones and restringing the wires, supposed to be there till the 23rd. Will have to work around them when I head down next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X