Catfish hooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
    Thx homies, looks like I need more gap. Thinking I'll order a 50 pack of Mustad classic demon perfect circle in 6/0. TBH approved? I'd do 8/0 but wouldn't get here in time.
    Go lighter wire. Better penetration.

Comment

Mustad demon fine wire. I’m not sure what Class of fish or what body of water you’re fishing so that would determine your size. But you can’t beat these hooks for catfish. I used to swear by team catfish products but they have severely lacked in quality in the last year.

Comment

Make sure to power snell circle hooks. Works wonderfully

Comment

rig your line like a carolina rig. Let the egg or bullet sinker slide or sit above the swivel. put about a 2' leader from the swivel to the hook. cast it out sitting on the bottom keep the line tight. Hold the rod and keep the line under your index finger and keep light pressure on the line. when ya feel a bump or tap set the hook. don't wait for them to run with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
            If you are fishing in a stock tank for eater channel cats and using punch bait #4 treble hooks would be what I would use. If you are chasing big blues with cut bait then 5/0 to 8/0 off set circle hooks with a wide gap.
            Lake Amistad, and prefer earth worms because I don't have to spend time catching bait and it's relatively not messy.

Originally posted by toledo View Post
            Go lighter wire. Better penetration.
            Poop, I bought standard wire.
            Mustad Classic 39944 Standard Wire Demon Perfect In Line Wide Gap Circle Hook

Originally posted by Iansumrall View Post
            Mustad demon fine wire. I’m not sure what Class of fish or what body of water you’re fishing so that would determine your size. But you can’t beat these hooks for catfish. I used to swear by team catfish products but they have severely lacked in quality in the last year.
            Lake Amistad so there's some good fish in there but the bulk will be eater sized.

Originally posted by junior View Post
            rig your line like a carolina rig. Let the egg or bullet sinker slide or sit above the swivel. put about a 2' leader from the swivel to the hook. cast it out sitting on the bottom keep the line tight. Hold the rod and keep the line under your index finger and keep light pressure on the line. when ya feel a bump or tap set the hook. don't wait for them to run with it.
            Oh yeah, we call that a fishfinder rig. That's usually how I rig up unless the situation is different like there's a lot of grass or something.

Originally posted by Button View Post
            Make sure to power snell circle hooks. Works wonderfully
            I was reading to snell so that it pulls forward. On the coast I use loop knots for circle hooks to allow for free movement and rotation of the hook though. I'll have to try it out and see.

Comment

We use nightcrawlers primarily for channels and live bait for blues and opps. Circle hooks are hard to thread worms onto so we primarily use them for live and cut bait and use smaller regular stainless hooks for night crawlers.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterB View Post
                We use nightcrawlers primarily for channels and live bait for blues and opps. Circle hooks are hard to thread worms onto so we primarily use them for live and cut bait and use smaller regular stainless hooks for night crawlers.
                Yeah the hooks just came in, if I would have gotten the light wire like everyone suggested I might be ok but these standard wire are likely too thick for worms. Maybe I'll have to fish for some blues instead.

Comment

I’ve caught many 5-15 lb channels on #4 or #6 treble using punch bait or #4 baitkeeper used dip bait and sponge. I never use big hooks.

Comment

6-8 would be good, also look into the snell knot for more hook-ups.

Comment

I personally like 3/0 or 4/0 hooks. I like to sharpen mine on a wet stone before fishing.

Comment

Working...
                      X