Bow shot vs gun shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
    Carcass care after the kill is important, whether getting it iced down or hung in a walk-in soonest. And careless field dressing—punctured gut or bladder—yuck.
    That's a vital part of processing, as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Field care after the kill will have the same affect on all animals. How the Adrenaline affects the meat is what I am thinking about. I think an animal like a hog in a trap or ran by dogs would taste worst that one shot while calm. I don't think someone could tell the difference between a reasonable bow kill and a shot to the head.

Comment

I don’t think the critters care for either way and I can’t tell the difference. Killed them all kinds of ways. I know them little ones just loosing spots are better than the ones with swollen necks

Comment

In my experience, it doesn't matter between a bow or a gun. There's a lot of factors that come into play. As mentioned above, field care is probably the biggest thing. Deer that run for a long period tends to play a role in the "gamey taste". Some might say that's commons with a bow, but I've shot deer with an arrow that didn't take more than a few steps before they were dispatched.
          Last edited by Arrowthreat; 03-20-2020, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rjtkdplus View Post
            I've noticed that bow shot animals usually have lighter colored meat, probably because the amount of blood they lose is greater. I can't tell a difference in the taste, I've never been accused of having a sensitive palette though.
            Yup noticed this also. To me if the shot was a well placed shot(and quick clean kill), and the gut wasn't clipped, and you did a good jump dressing and taking care of the meat, I can't tell a difference.
            Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 03-20-2020, 01:31 PM.

Comment

I’ve heard a similar theory based on how long it takes the animal to expire. Head shot animals taste better based on not having enough time for anaerobic respiration to take over and send a surge of lactic acid into the meat. Sounds good, but frankly I cannot tell a difference and do not agree with the theory. As said above, it’s aftercare of the meat that really matters.

Comment

My brother and a friend of mine were hunting in one of the State Parks on a Muzzleloader hunt. Well, I told them I'd save my money and hunt the Corp land near the park with my bow. It just happened to be one of those perfect evenings in the woods(overcast, calm, and cool) right before a big cold front blue in that night with heavy thunder storms. Long story short, we all shot deer that evening within minutes of each other. When we quartered the deer up, my deer that had been double lunged, and taken out the top of the heart had nice pink meat. The two deer shot with muzzle loaders had dark red meat, like they weren't bled out as good. Was interesting to see side by side.

Comment

When I was a kid we had a neighbor of German descent who would kill boar hog with a 410 slug behind the ear. Swore it was good, I don't know as I don't eat boar hog period as I am really sensitive to taint.

I get a lot of heart shots while using a gun. A few times in my life I have seen the meat looking like a lot of capillaries had burst. I do not remember the meat tasting bad though.

Comment

I have heard this also. But I have eaten both many times and until I read something about bow kill Vs gun kill and adenaline. I have never tasted the difference to know which was which. The dates on the package tell me how it was killed. That is about it.

Comment

Let's turn these theories into facts... Here's what we're gonna do:

I need 10 volunteers. 5 who have killed with a bow, and 5 with a gun.

Each of you send me the tenderloins from each and I will judge them honestly after 10 days of grilling.

Comment

Originally posted by Avid Hunter View Post
                        Let's turn these theories into facts... Here's what we're gonna do:

I need 10 volunteers. 5 who have killed with a bow, and 5 with a gun.

Each of you send me the tenderloins from each and I will judge them honestly after 10 days of grilling.
                        I like it!! Will possum do?

Comment

On an animal shot in the heart, you just broke the pump that delivers adrenalin so I don't think it makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
                            I like it!! Will possum do?
                            White tail, Axis, Elk, and Nilgai only at this point

Comment

Anything you run or stress before you shoot it, gun or bow, will have some lactic acid buildup in the muscles and affect the quality of the meat.

Comment

I think a clean double lung archery shot deer is best. They are bled out and stressed very little.

Comment

Working...
                                X