Justin Hurst WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Justin Hurst WMA

My son got drawn for gun either sex deer hunt October 8-9. I am so excited and can't wait to tell him about it when he gets home from school today.

But now the anxiety kicks in for dad, I have never been on a public hunt and never had the experience of a drawn hunt.

I have already got our permits, that is taken care of.

I am assuming both of us have to wear hunter orange.

I know we can take our polaris ranger on this hunt.

It says plenty of bug spray and rubber boots.

I know we can bring corn also.

What else do I need to know? We are to meet at 10:00 on the 8th and the hunt ends at noon on the 9th.

Haven't seen much information for Justin Hurst. Other than muddy and mosquitos.

Main thing is I want my son to have fun and enjoy himself!!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I've never deer hunted there but I have been duck hunting there for years. Having the Polaris is going to be a life saver. There are quite a few 'death march' hunting spots on that property (at least for duck hunting). Lots of mosquitos. They run cattle on that property so anywhere there is/was mud or water there will be deep tracks that make the ground uneven and hard to walk on. Bring some good boots that go above the ankle so you don't step in a hole and break your foot off : ) . I applied my boy for this hunt as well but drew a different property instead. Have fun and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Magoo View Post
      I've never deer hunted there but I have been duck hunting there for years. Having the Polaris is going to be a life saver. There are quite a few 'death march' hunting spots on that property (at least for duck hunting). Lots of mosquitos. They run cattle on that property so anywhere there is/was mud or water there will be deep tracks that make the ground uneven and hard to walk on. Bring some good boots that go above the ankle so you don't step in a hole and break your foot off : ) . I applied my boy for this hunt as well but drew a different property instead. Have fun and good luck!
      Thanks!!

I can't wait to see his face when I tell him!

Comment

Originally posted by Welding Teach View Post

Haven't seen much information for Justin Hurst.
        Yes sir, but not what you are looking for. Justin Hurst was a great man and a one-of-a-kind game warden with the most extensive waterfowl knowledge of anyone. Our wives were college roommates. Hope you enjoy your time out there with your son.

Comment

That skeeter spray recommendation is no joke. I would bring a thermacell and head nets too.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
            Yes sir, but not what you are looking for. Justin Hurst was a great man and a one-of-a-kind game warden with the most extensive waterfowl knowledge of anyone. Our wives were college roommates. Hope you enjoy your time out there with your son.
            Thank you!

I have read about him…will it along to my son also.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
              That skeeter spray recommendation is no joke. I would bring a thermacell and head nets too.
              Thermacells are a must. I used to be worried about the smell scaring deer away, but they make "earth scented" mats that seem to work well. I've never seen how they affect deer, but I've been at ground level within 50 yards of pigs on multiple occasions and have never been busted due to the smell.

Comment

You need termacell or two. Just waking from the blind to get the deer will be a pain. They will assign you a blind, a lot of them you can walk to them. A lot of deer and hogs.

Comment

I went to school with Justin. Top notch guy.

Comment

Congrats! Nice place to hunt. Yes on the mud and mosquitoes. Nice blinds there. You usually have at least two or three lanes from each blind. Bring lots of corn. Tons of hogs on the property so should have plenty of targets and they clean the corn up overnight sometimes. We usually bring our own chairs for the blind to be a little more comfy. They provide metal ones that work fine though.

They have a very nice covered and lighted skinning area there that you can use. Should be a fun hunt. We have lots of good memories from that place. Great staff that really want the kids to have a good experience.

Comment

Should I bring the road feeder for my Polaris or just dump pile of corn?

Comment

Originally posted by Welding Teach View Post
                        Should I bring the road feeder for my Polaris or just dump pile of corn?
                        Definitely not a necessity but if easy for you to bring you will be able to use it.

Comment

One other thing - the rut is REALLY early down on the coast so you may want to do a little rattling. You never know.

Comment

Being from Brazoria I put my stepson in for this hunt also, but drew Gus Engeling instead.
                            Never hunted the Hurst but he has hunted the Stringfellow across the San Bernard river. The stringfellow allowed ATV's and you did not have to have the OHV sticker, Not sure if you need one at Hurst or not. Head nets , spray and Thermacells a must. Good Hotels in Lake Jackson 15 min. away or if Tent / RV camping the county park at Quintana Beach is only 10 min from the WMA.
                            Good luck

Comment

Some very good bucks on that place

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X