No announcement yet.

Tell me about retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

59 and retired march 1,2022 after working 38 yrs of shift work. first thing i did was take down the blackout shades in the bedroom. stay busy doing all the projects that built up while working shift work. working on some bucket list items. i do some catering on the side and manage to stay busy. start every morning with sportscenter and internet and one very spoiled chiahuahua!

Comment

I ain't married so I can tell you what I'd do. Whatever I wanted to do. Retirement would be awesome. I'll probably be one that works until I die so I won't know that feeling but I'd imagine it's pretty awesome.

I could be wrong. But with my luck I'll retire at 70 and die the next day. Hopefully I don't make it that long but it's possible.

Fish,hunt,drink some beers,gamble a little, go to some of those bars where girls dance nekkid....know what I'm talkin about? Just have fun.... You made it. Have fun for those of us who can't.
      Last edited by okrattler; 07-06-2022, 12:42 AM.

Comment

For the first few months it's okay. You live at the ranch, shoot pigs and deer with impunity. You catch up on some projects. Then you do what you do. I built and sold feeder pen panels, deer stand platforms, feeders.
        Then you realize being 50 years old, retired and capable is just not gonna cut it.
        I realized my friend who made that statement about wondering how they had time to work on the past were enjoying the gun range, grandkids and such.
        I also realized the got fat, lost their drive for the things they use to do and honestly, got old.
        With my skill set I can still make good money, afford a whole lot more than just my retirement income allows, do something that I find challenging and full filling as well as take a week when I want to to enjoy life. Sleep in on a Tuesday because we stayed out in the pool late with the grandkids. I work as hard as I need to making the money I want to and ease way back during hunting season to enjoy it.
        Plus, I like to work. I like the satisfaction of solving problems, making a difference and walking away at the end of a job knowing it was well done.
        Sitting at home feeding the chickens is for someone else. At least until I'm old enough that my body say no mas.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Retirement is going to be what you make out of it. Like a lot of other things in life, retirement is going to give back as much as you put in to it

There are a ton of things you can do if you put your mind to it. Some can be very rewarding (volunteering, there are a lot of folks and organizations that need help), others can just be fun i.e. things you enjoy (gardening, hiking, photography, fishing & hunting).

I retired at 51 but unfortunately I was not totally healthy as I had been involved in a vehicle accident. I am still not 100% but getting better. Staying in shape was initially a challenge, now I go to the gym just about every day. So that part is getting covered.

I have not read all of the responses but I have read enough to see some say they love retirement while others mentioned going back to work because they were bored. The awesome part of being financially secure to the point you can retire is that you can do either.

After retirement, I have used a lot of time to get closer to our Lord, Jesus Christ. A long time a go I choose a road that took me down the wrong path and I am thankfully working my way towards being spiritually right.

Congrats on making it to a point you can retire! Don’t let other folks sway you in or out of retirement. Sit down think about what you want to do and get after it. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Retired at 60 I'm 77 now..Aint never run out of something to do..The best part is I get to pick and choose what and when..

Comment

I fish on some days, go to the ranch which is only a 30 minute drive and fill feeders, pull camera cards, check the owners lodge. I bought a tractor so somedays I do some pond building, road work, or mow. We have a 3 acre pond that has been neglected so the owner has given me the go ahead to get it fixed up. My owner has me working on a solar project that takes up some of my time.
              Of course I have some stuff my bride wants done.
              We have traveled some and I want to do more.
              Bucket list hunts and fishing trips starting this year.
              And sometimes I grab a beer or a glass of Eagle Rare around 2:00 p.m. and a Cuesta Rey and watch my bird dogs lay in the shade.

Comment

why retire? Just shoot yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by djc View Post
                  I've been working 50 plus hours a week since I was 17. I'm 62 now and thinking about retirement.
                  What do you do to fill your day?
                  most of the time; whatever I want.
                  If you want to keep working, then get paid for it.

Comment

I retired last September at 62 from a high stress job, sold most of my belongings and moved to Alaska October 15th just in time for a nice winter (it was cold). Joined a gym which I never made time for while working. Days are as full as you want them to be. I spend time in the garden, fishing, hunting, hiking etc... I am able to spend more time with my kids and 5 grandsons (we all moved). I do not miss the Texas heat. Current temperature is 64 here right now. I feel better than I have in years and do not ever think about work. It was the right choice for me.

Comment

I search for the end of the internet

Comment

Best thing I ever did! Been 4 years and Im healthier, happier, and busier with good stuff than i've ever been. Life is good!

Comment

Originally posted by djc View Post
                          I've been working 50 plus hours a week since I was 17. I'm 62 now and thinking about retirement.
                          What do you do to fill your day?
                          What ever I want to do .

Comment

With the way work has been I actually signed into my retirement yesterday to see what it looked like. I was also able to bridge some time from a previous employer and gained 19 month in 24 hours.

I will be eligible in 2025 and will be 45. If I stay an extra 5 years and retire at 50 I'll get a good raise on top of what I make now

Here's to "it will be here before you know it"

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Interesting thread. I’m 40 years old and hope to retire from my corporate job in the next 3-5 years. I own several rental properties and plan on 10x my portfolio asap so I can “retire”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bownutone View Post
                                I retired last September at 62 from a high stress job, sold most of my belongings and moved to Alaska October 15th just in time for a nice winter (it was cold). Joined a gym which I never made time for while working. Days are as full as you want them to be. I spend time in the garden, fishing, hunting, hiking etc... I am able to spend more time with my kids and 5 grandsons (we all moved). I do not miss the Texas heat. Current temperature is 64 here right now. I feel better than I have in years and do not ever think about work. It was the right choice for me.
                                Good for you.

Went to Alaska in 2016. Vrey nice adventure.

Comment

Working...
                                X