Recommendations for a shotgun for 9 year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for a shotgun for 9 year old

My 9 year old is getting into the shooting club at his school and needs a shotgun. What recommendations do you have, thinking of the Beretta A300 Ultima. There is a range near us that has one we can rent, so we are going this Saturday to try it out. The coach who runs the team recommended a 12 gauge so that is what we will try. The recoil shouldn’t be too bad with the kick off, I just worry about the length of pull being to long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like a 20ga to start a kid off , a beretta a300 is a nice gun to run a 100 rounds with, shoulder recoil isn’t a big deal, it’s the face and cheek that took me a while to get used too
    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 09-22-2022, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
      I like a 20ga to start a kid off , a beretta a300 is a nice gun to run a 100 rounds with
      This all day!

Comment

I bought my grandson a Tristar Raptor and shortened the stock. They do make a youth model but I couldn't find one. Came with 4 chokes.

Comment

I’m with the 20ga crowd.
          To me the KO seems like it would add a little LOP. Hopefully someone who knows beretta better than me can chime. In. That’s purely my observation from looking and handling a few. But I’ve never looks at the specs for both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine started out with a 20 gauge youth model Beretta AL 390. He still has it. He won first place in the only tournament he ever shot in. He’s on your left….
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              I bought my grandson a Tristar Raptor and shortened the stock. They do make a youth model but I couldn't find one. Came with 4 chokes.
              This is the best option, just my opinion. I was able to find the youth model in 20 gauge and that gun has been passed to so many youth shooters I've lost count. It's a very reliable gun. I know of 3 guns in our group and they all have 5K plus shells through them with no issues.

Both my boys shot 4H Clay Busters and at 9 years old I think the better choice is a 20.

Comment

If he's a average size 9 year old, I'd think a 12 would be too big.
                A 20ga would serve him well. Heck I'm in my 50s and still shoot a 20ga sometimes.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

Has he ever shot a shotgun? if no, start him on a single shot 4-10. recoil will not matter and he will lean to shoot well from the start.

Comment

I’m with the single shot 410 or 20

Comment

My son shot competitively throughout high school and a year in college. I still help coach a youth team. Shoot me a PM- I’d be happy to share my thoughts.

Be careful with lightweight shotguns. The beat the snot bubbles out of kids.

Comment

Do not, do not get him a .410. You'll spend a fortune on shells and he'll never hit anything with it. .410's are for squirrel hunters and accomplished wing shooters. Worst starter shotgun in the world.

Comment

I'm all for the 12G, I started day one with a 870 wingmaster, mod barrel, that thing was deadly. He's going to end up with a 12G anyway why not start him off right.

Comment

I’d definitely go 20ga

I find it interesting the coach would recommend a 12ga.

Comment

Youth-model Remington 1100.

Comment

Working...
                              X