Suppressor help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suppressor help

So I have been thinking for a while now about getting one but just have never got a round to pulling the trigger. I do have a couple questions about the process.

First off, individual or trust? I will be the only one using it unless I go with like my wife or Dad. Is there really a necessity to do a trust? I've just been told that I'd need to keep the suppressor in a secure area that I am just supposed to have access to like a gun safe. Is that correct? I've just been told the trust takes longer and is more expensive.

With all the political stuff going on now is it worth trying to get one or is it going to take a lot longer?

Lastly, can I get a 308 can and use it on my 223? Will it affect the accuracy on the 223 because the hole is bigger for the 30 caliber?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I can’t answer all your questions but I went with a trust. With a trust when I pass who ever I add to the trust can have it and use it. Without a trust you gave to be with your wife or dad when they are using it. With their name added to the trust they can use it anytime. If I remember right my trust cost and paper work cost $200. I keep all my gun in my safe except my home security weapon.

Comment

Get a trust. If something were to happen to you and it's not locked up then your wife is automatically breaking the law of having it in her possession. Besides there is no way to transfer upon death. Trusts can be had for less than $100. The wait is the wait and it took each of mine just short of a year. I haven't checked lately but I think they were still approving applications with the COVID shutdown.

Set up a trust in your name only with your wife as the heir. You can add and remove trustees after you have the cans if you like. This is nice if you ever want to ship somewhere instead of keeping in your possession while traveling.

You can use a 30 cal on a .223 just fine but you will not get the same decibel rating as a .223 You can find charts that let you know the impact of decibel by caliber. Either way you still need ear protection.

Comment

Originally posted by GlenB View Post
        So I have been thinking for a while now about getting one but just have never got a round to pulling the trigger. I do have a couple questions about the process.

First off, individual or trust? I will be the only one using it unless I go with like my wife or Dad. Is there really a necessity to do a trust? I've just been told that I'd need to keep the suppressor in a secure area that I am just supposed to have access to like a gun safe. Is that correct? I've just been told the trust takes longer and is more expensive.
        I did a trust because in Dallas county (under the old law) my Sheriff was not signing them. If I had to do it over again I would still do a trust. It will let family members use it also. Plus it protects you when you go to the gun range in the sky.

With all the political stuff going on now is it worth trying to get one or is it going to take a lot longer?
        Form 4 is long no matter which way you go.

Lastly, can I get a 308 can and use it on my 223? Will it affect the accuracy on the 223 because the hole is bigger for the 30 caliber?

Thanks in advance!

A 7.62 can will not effect any thing on a smaller round. I use mine from my 270 on down to my 6.5G and 300blk. Just dont use it on a 22. They are to dirty and most F4 cans are not serviceable.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Thank y'all for all of the help and guidance! So it sounds like the trust is really the best way to go. Pardon my ignorance but how and where would I go to get a trust set up? The local shop will only do individual applications.

Comment

I used Sean Cody with Texas Gun Trust. He has passed away but a texasguntrust.com website is up, so looks like somebody took over. His allowed me to add and subtract people easily and can loan it for a weekend by adding them and taking them off. Just put one in jail and check was cashed so seems they are still working in the COVID days. As for calibers it’s up to you but I got 30cal cans and can use down to 223. The closer you match the caliber to can size the quieter it will be but not worried about a few DBs over being able to use on multiple hosts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Darin View Post
              Get a trust. If something were to happen to you and it's not locked up then your wife is automatically breaking the law of having it in her possession. Besides there is no way to transfer upon death.
              Completely false. You failed the bar exam didn't you.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                Completely false. You failed the bar exam didn't you.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/tr...tates/download

Not an attorney nor claimed to be. Bet your a blast at parties though. Either way if you have a trust your spouse would not have to submit the necessary forms to have the items transferred into their name. Additionally the letter states “reasonable time” to transfer which is always open to legal interpretation. I just don’t put confidence in a BATF agent being eager to assist my wife in dealing with it nor would I want to put that on her. To each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Buy from Silencer Shop and use their single shot trust. They do almost everything for you. All you have to do is go to one of their kiosks and submit your prints. It’s the easiest quickest most painless way to buy a silencer IMO. It streamlines the process and the way they do it it bypasses a few steps in the usual trust process.
                  A .30 cal can will work on a smaller caliber without issue.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
                    Buy from Silencer Shop and use their single shot trust. They do almost everything for you. All you have to do is go to one of their kiosks and submit your prints. It’s the easiest quickest most painless way to buy a silencer IMO. It streamlines the process and the way they do it it bypasses a few steps in the usual trust process.
                    A .30 cal can will work on a smaller caliber without issue.
                    Definitely this! There are a lot of benefits to the Single Shot trusts too.

Consider if you buy a suppressor now under a trust. When your stamp is approve you then add on dad/wife/brother/sister/good buddy. Then, a year or so down the road you want to buy another suppressor on the same trust. Everyone who is on the trust will have to submit fingerprints & photos for the 2nd can's stamp application. Even worse, once your Form 4 is in process on that second can, you cannot add any trustees to the trust to allow more people access to the first can. You'd have to wait for the 2nd Form 4 to be approved (or cancel it, add new trustees, get their photo/prints, and start Form 4 wait all over again)

Now, if you do a single shot trust, each can has it's own trust and much more fine grained control. So you buy Can 1 and once approved you add on wife + Dad + Brother. Then you can buy Can 2 with just your prints/photo. Once can 2 is approved you can add on wife + good buddy tom only. You can also change anything about Can 1's trust even while Can 2's Form 4 is in application phase.

I bought SilencerShops Single Shot unlimited during a sale. The price made it equivalent to 3 single shot trusts. Once I had a 22 can I wanted a 9mm can and then I wanted a light hunting can for 30 cal. Now I'm looking for a 45 can and possibly a 338 cal can. The SingleShot trust unlimited has already paid for itself and I'm coming out ahead on any new ones.

Comment

I got my trust through Jim Willi ,bought 2 cans(.22/7.62) at the same time about 3 years ago-9 month wait was the worst part,everything else was smooth.

Comment

Get a trust. As a piece of advice on the trust, try to make the name as short as possible. If you ever "make" something you will have to engrave the name of the trust on said item. I made a mistake and used my last name. In the Army, the NCOs called me Alphabet rather than try to pronounce/spell. That sums up my mistake in naming my trust, lol. I would have preferred Z Trust or something like that. You might consider a clever 2-letter or 1 letter 1 number.

I believe you can also transfer a trust thereby allowing you to "sell" your supressors if you would like to do so. I think this is a form 4 transfer? It still takes time but I believe about 1/2 the time of ordering a new can... This is another reason to have a generic, short name in the event you want to transfer.

I got both of my cans at capital armory and they did the trust. Nothing against silencer shop but CA is closer to my house and they had what I wanted in stock and on sale at the time.

I have noticed that Silencer Ship and Capital Armory BOTH can be very curt -- bordering on rude -- when talking to them. Once you get to the point of "I'm buying" that goes away. I think they get so many freaking tire kickers they get tired of answering the same questions 100 times a day and tend to get short with people. I would advise doing a good bit of research and be ready to buy when you go in.

Make sure to look at your current gun inventory and your planned future purposes and try to find something that will accomodate much of your herd.

I have various pistols - mostly 9 and .45. I also have a .300 blackout rifle I want to shoot subs through. I got an obsidian .45 as it was one of the quieter setups and it has the option to shorten the can.

I also have .308, 6.5 creed, .223, and 300 BO supers and wanted one can to rule them all. I ended up with the YHM resonator (still in jail). In a large shootout it was near the top and is really reasonable in price.

The one thing everyone overlooks is how the supressor will mount. You have so many options it'll make your head spin. On pistols with non-fixed barrels, you'll have to have a nielsen device and, depending on which mfr. you go with, you may have to buy all kinds of relatively expensive hardware. On rifles or fixed barrels you can go either way - direct thread or various quick-attach methods. Some of the quick-attach pieces are butt-ugly as well as expensive and you have to leave them on the end of the rifle. Some look pretty cool. Advice is to research how you plan to use and mount FIRST, then figure out the can(s).

Comment

Got my trust through Jim Willi also. It is a standard trust and if you want to purchase another can, you can temporarily remove the other folks (to avoid everyone having to be fingerprinted and background again). Once it's approved you just add them back. Jim will explain all of it to you over the phone. Best way to go IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by skshave1 View Post
                            Got my trust through Jim Willi also. It is a standard trust and if you want to purchase another can, you can temporarily remove the other folks (to avoid everyone having to be fingerprinted and background again). Once it's approved you just add them back. Jim will explain all of it to you over the phone. Best way to go IMO.
                            The thing I didn't like about the removal and then re-adding folks is that with that approach no one else can use the items in the trust for the 4-12 months that it takes to get the Form 4 approved. For my scenarios at least, having a separate trust was much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by skshave1 View Post
                              Interesting. I had my trust done by Sean Cody but admit I have yet to use it. It was done after the law change that required all trustees to submit finger prints and photos with every application. Mine is set up with a "primary trustee" - me, and limited trustees whose rights are limited to possessing the Class 3 items. I am not aware of a need to delete limited trustees when submitting a Form 1 or Form 4 application. I don't keep up with the latest BATF twitches in regard to Class 3 items. Am I behind the curve?

Comment

Working...
                              X