Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outfitting a bicycle for bow hunting

Hey Gents,
    I've always been for walking to and from stand. I typically walk farther (further) than most. I guess you could say I'm against four wheelers to or around the stand. I'd rather take my truck; its more quiet and definitely more comfortable. Plus it's a sweet hang out spot on the mornings when I get to the stand super early. Anyway, this year with covid crisis, mountain bikes are/ will b a dime a dozen in resale after everyone goes back to work (my assumption). I feel like outfitting a mountain bike with a bow rack and maybe a few other things would make a sweet, scent free travel option. I hunt private and public and see it being beneficial on both. I'm assuming a cheap wal mart bike will be sub 100 bucks on the resale market. I'm thinking paint it camo, add a bow rack or sling for my back, and maybe a seat rack for carrying some other stuff. I've also always been a somewhat of a prepare-all when it comes to going to the stand. I pack for a week when I'm going for a morning. But at the end of last year and hopefully in the future, I plan to be a minimalist. My question is, has anyone ever tried the mountain bike? How was it? What things can I add to it to make it more efficient? And have you ever taken yours off any sweet jumps?! Sorry for the long, drawn out question! Pros n cons....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

What ever you do get a nice comfy seat. Rode one all threw college and have hunted off of one on public. Just a bare bones bike. But a good seat will make or break it. Felt like I was being violated for a week with the seat that came with it. Went and bought a nice fat one and it was not bad at all to ride around on.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

I gave it up because I worked up too big a sweat just getting to the hunt area.

but I will have a cup o joe and watch this one

Comment

If you ever get up to Dallas I have a trek I have had for a few years and have ridden a hand full of times. I’d let it go for $50. It was a couple of hundred new probably. If your up this way holler at me.

Comment

In for a
          Follow. Mine will be lectric [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I started to use my mtn bike last season until I got a flat. Same reasons that you describe. I plan to ride it to/from the stands this upcoming season, as well

Comment

On my place, I can't walk 10 feet without running into one of those orb weaver spiders. I sure as hell ain't riding a bike through them.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0C14E0EE-9192-437F-9266-3DB804258EBE.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	24620199

I ride a fat tire E bike to and from my stand. I strap a small portable cooler to the rack and strap my bow to my back pack. Super quite and the electric motor makes hills a breeze.

Comment

Originally posted by mako191 View Post
                  On my place, I can't walk 10 feet without running into one of those orb weaver spiders. I sure as hell ain't riding a bike through them.
                  Hahahaha. This is hilarious. I hate spiders too

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I was going to do the same thing until I learned that it is illegal to ride them on the trails at Benbrook Lake. You can ride a horse but not a mountain bike.

Comment

Did not work for my buddy in south texas, lasted one day and illegal took it so he did not have to walk. But that is in sousth texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Humper View Post
                        [ATTACH]1005822[/ATTACH]

I ride a fat tire E bike to and from my stand. I strap a small portable cooler to the rack and strap my bow to my back pack. Super quite and the electric motor makes hills a breeze.

Ordered one of these today Humper. Any issues with flats ? Looking forward to the quiet [emoji2958]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X