3" farm gate hinge pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3" farm gate hinge pin

Hi Guys - I need some help and advice on hanging a 15' long farm gate. The gate is made of galvanized pipe with hog panels welded to it. The problem is mounting it to the steel post which is 2.75" diameter. The largest sized gate hinge pin (the male part of the hinge) is 2 3/8". I've searched the internet and cannot find a male hinge pin any larger than 2 3/8". Does such a thing exist? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

PS

Photo added per request - sorry for the poor quality photo. the steel post on the left hand side of the photo is where I'd like to mount the hinges. I'd like to try and avoid mounting the hinges on the Cedar trees on the right hand side of the photo as they are twisted and leaning. I'll mount them through the tree trunk if I have to, but I'm hoping for a cheap and easy way to mount the gate hinges on the steel post. The gate is for a hunting lease my son and I use. The landlord is a cheapskate, and I got the gate for a song. We've been having problems lately with kids riding motorcycles on the land, so the gate is to hopefully stop the trespassing without creating a huge problems with the locals.

Thanks,

Dave
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Double-O-Dave; 05-04-2020, 08:43 PM.

Can you post pics of the gate in question? I'm having trouble visualizing why you would need a hinge like that.

Comment

3" farm gate hinge pin

Could you drill a hole through the post and bolt on one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you’re talking about these, they make them with long all thread. Probably 8”/10” long. This kind screws in, but they make the long ones with nuts and washers to go through pipe posts.
        Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Check out the hinges from Triple S Steel. They have an online catalog.
            b'FENCINGHARDWAREJOB SUPPLIESORNAMENTAL METAL METAL BUILDING COMPONENTS27CATALOGC ATA L O G 28'

Comment

is this what you need, for 2 7/8 post?

Comment

Tractor supply or your local farm and ranch supply will have what you need

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  If you’re talking about these, they make them with long all thread. Probably 8”/10” long. This kind screws in, but they make the long ones with nuts and washers to go through pipe posts.
                  First thing that came to mind ^^^^

I'm thinking OP is talking about something different though?

Comment

What you need is a welder!

You trying to put a 16' gate in a 14' opening?

Comment

Drill two holes through the metal pipe where you want the hinges to be and stick in a gate holder like Drycreek posted above. Will take about 15 minutes to hang that gate.

Comment

Maybe bend an "L" in some allthread, drill hole through pipe and put a nut on each side of pipe. Then you can make it as long as you need

Comment

See bolts with nuts. Sorry this is the only picture I have of mine.
                          It’s hard see but the top and bottom are the same.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A0EAEB12-48A5-4270-8F45-2F52483EA3C0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	24616904

Comment

Thanks all of you who responded.

Rick: this is exactly what I want/need. Unfortunately, the store is out of stock. The price is great, but the shipping is killing me. The store is supposed to notify me when the hinges are back in stock. In the meantime, I'm going to call around locally to fencing companies now that I know such a thing exists.

Traildust: yup, you've got that right. If I could weld, or had a buddy who could, I could just weld the 2 38" hinges to the steel post and be done.

Again guys, thanks so much for your help and advice - especially you guys who were kind enough to include photos.

BTW, the opening is 13.5 ft, wide. The gate (used) is 15 ft. wide. It should work as long as I find the right hinges. (I was lucky and I bought it really cheap - did I mention the landlord is a real cheapskate?)

Wish me luck,

Dave

Comment

Working...
                            X