Yamaha outboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yamaha outboards

I’ve owned a few Yamahas over the years but none over 115Hp and 300 hrs or so. What’s everyone’s experience with the 200hp gray motors or the SHO 200-250’s, is 300ish hours to many for a bigger well maintained motor? Looking at new and potentially an older boat with a 2013 SHO 250 with all service records since new. Thanks

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
    I’ve owned a few Yamahas over the years but none over 115Hp and 300 hrs or so. What’s everyone’s experience with the 200hp gray motors or the SHO 200-250’s, is 300ish hours to many for a bigger well maintained motor? Looking at new and potentially an older boat with a 2013 SHO 250 with all service records since new. Thanks
    My Boston whaler i re powered with a Yamaha 250 with 200 hours on it, never ever had a problem in 8 years , sold it and the guy still is running it

Comment

I would do your research on those years SHO models. If it was a grey Saltwater Series I’d say get after it. We have a set of 2011 grey Yamaha’s at work and pushing 4000 hours

Comment

I have a 2018 115 on my flounder boat, only problem i've had is i toasted the water pump from running it so shallow
        I also have a 2013 250 SHO on my Shoalwater no problem except the trim relay switch just started acting up

Comment

I've had a couple 250 SHOs. I like them and never had any issues. I know some guys who had trouble with the early SHOs and then a few who had issues with later SHOs making oil. I didn't have any of that. The last one I had I put about 850 hours on it in 3 years. No problems except a bent prop shaft, and they are known to be easy to bend on those. Good strong motors. I'd have another one right now except I couldn't get one in 2018 when I repowered so I switched to Suzuki.

Comment

Can’t go wrong with the gray Yamaha’s. I’ve had two of them with no issues and as stated above people get thousands of hours out of them with only regular maintenance.

Comment

I have a 2013 f250 xca with 500 hours on it and the only thing I have done other than maintenance is the tilt and trim seals started leaking.

Comment

I would rather buy an older motor with high hours than older with low hours. The worst thing for an outboard is to sit.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                  I would do your research on those years SHO models. If it was a grey Saltwater Series I’d say get after it. We have a set of 2011 grey Yamaha’s at work and pushing 4000 hours
                  Glen is that the 6 cylinder 225 or 250

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

300 is low hours on either motor. That yr model sho should be good to go.

Comment

I didn't know there was any other option

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm a Big Yamaha fan, but after this past year with having injectors go out on a 400 hour motor I will look hard at Suzuki for my next purchase.

Comment

They go out or just need to be cleaned?

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                          I'm a Big Yamaha fan, but after this past year with having injectors go out on a 400 hour motor I will look hard at Suzuki for my next purchase.

Comment

Too much to type

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
                              They go out or just need to be cleaned?
                              1 went out, gonzo. Replaced all 4 while he was in there. Starter was also going out also so it was replaced too. Spendy.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X