Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
    Give me a grinder and I'll make it fit
    This. After that I can pump out as many as you need with flat stock and a grinder.

Comment

I would figure the leg length of that right triangle, (A squared +B squared=C squared), and work from there, but I'm not going to because you already have your answer.

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post
        Would like to see it drawn out and the math worked through on paper, I still can't figure out all the angles on paper.
        The best I can see on any of the triangles is one side. Need two sides or one side and an angle.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
          The best I can see on any of the triangles is one side. Need two sides or one side and an angle.
          Yup!

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
            Rhombus is parallel so you have both sides.
            Of course a squared plus b squared = c squared will allow you to figure out C.
            Once you have a, b and c you will also have your rise and run. Easy conversion to angle from there

Comment

I don't think there is enough info to get it by trig.
              Rafter layout doesn't get to the math-- You just take the measurements you need and make it fit.

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                Once you have a, b and c you will also have your rise and run. Easy conversion to angle from there
                Do it then.
                Everyone can squirt a few drops of HS trig they remember, but this problem is not as simple as you're trying to make it sound.

Comment

On 2nd look, I can't get there from here. I could make it fit though!

That's gonna be a tiny gate...

Comment

Don't have any of the sides. Opposite sides are parallel. I only know the length of a perpendicular line between the two longest sides is .5". If the rectangle that it fits in changed, this measurement would stay stay the same but all the other measurements would change.

I know there is enough info there to get to the correct answer. Just don't know how.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fangman View Post
                      You lost me at rhombus.
                      Heck of a player for the LA Lakers in the 80s.

Comment

Math (geometry problem)

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        On 2nd look, I can't get there from here. I could make it fit though!

That's gonna be a tiny gate...

Haha just deco pieces to go in-between the top rail and a piece of channel welded 4" from the top.

Comment

Only way to solve this is using a system of equations. You can't do it with a simple trigonometric identity alone. CAD is your friend here.....

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                            Only way to solve this is using a system of equations. You can't do it with a simple trigonometric identity alone. CAD is your friend here.....
                            Agreed. I know there is enough information to come up with the answer, because there is only one solution, but just not sure how to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                              there are as many unknowns as equations...

Comment

Lets see some numbers.

Comment

Working...
                                X