No announcement yet.

Raisning Our First Meat Pig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They will go to the bathroom in the same spot every time. If you do not like that spot for what ever reason shovel some where you want it and clean the rest out. Feed it at one end and water at the other end of cage so they walk back and forth.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
      If you feed it right , it should weigh around 250+
      That's what we've been told!

Comment

I've been raising commercial hogs my whole life. With today's genetics and high protein feed rations they grow incredibly fast. Our county fair has a carcass pig contest. It is based partially on a gain test. We feed the pigs for 97 days. Our kiddos have done very well over the years. IF fed correctly, we've had pigs gain nearly 3 pounds per day. It's amazing to watch a pig go from a beginning weight of 50+/- to over 300 in less than 100 days.
        Not to mention, that the home raised pork is way better tasting than the grocery store variety . We always feed one out to fill our freezer and make deer sausage.

Comment

Good video Tobin. I just had 7 stitches to the top of the dome for the same reason. We were building a pig trap at the farm. Good luck with the pig.

Comment

I’d be interested to see the total all in cost you incur feeding this pig and having it butchered in September. So far you’re at $25

Comment

Neat.

I've raised 1 show pig and the worst part of that experience is I wasn't the one that got to kill it when all said and done

Comment

I hope you took the prevailing wind into account with pen placement

Comment

That one acre will get small real quick and as stated have the pen downwind of your primary hang out in the yard. If you have neighbors very close downwind of you good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                    so what did they kids name yall's new pet?
                    This.

Comment

In

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                        Good video Tobin. I just had 7 stitches to the top of the dome for the same reason. We were building a pig trap at the farm. Good luck with the pig.
                        You 2 need to be careful!

Come on Tobin spill the little porkers name

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                          You 2 need to be careful!

Come on Tobin spill the little porkers name
                          Pulled porky

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                            Wow!

I think I should have got a couple. Dang near knocked me out!

Comment

I raised pigs many years ago and we would always keep a runt and feed it till it got to around 280/300 and have it butchered. It is some of the best meat you will ever eat. Good plan and yes, let the kids feed, water and clean up and it will be a non issue. The suggestion of the nose staple is really a great idea. My sow's all had them and they did not root or destroy the pen. They will destroy the pen if they can root.

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                                Wow!

I think I should have got a couple. Dang near knocked me out!

I did that once with a T-post driver. Just once.

Split my crown open for 5 inches front to back. My hair was longer back then. And thought I had bit my tongue in two. But didn't. I didn't even know I had a scratch on top till someone I was working with walked over and said, my white visor was turning red.
                                Never did got get stitches for that one dispite seeing my skull . But did have to shave my hair so I could clean it up and butterfly bandages over it. That was touchy and a mess. Went to work the next day doing my usual job of cutting, fitting, and weld out.

Comment

Working...
                                X