Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This . .

Comment

Bees have found a way to kill them. They create a ball of heat by covering the hornet, vibrating, and basically burn the hornet to death since a bee can take more heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
        Thats what i was always told as well. However They are not native to the u.s. and compete with native bees. Google makes it a point to note that white people brought them over.
        Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
        We actually dont want honey bees.. they're like the hogs of the pollinator world. They hurt natural pollinators.
        Originally posted by locolobo View Post
        True story. Honey bees are not native to North America. But since they helped displace native bees they have become the main pollinator here.Now they are in danger of being displaced themselves.
        Is there any time frame where a non-indigenous species becomes considered as native? Yes Honeybees were brought to North America but they've been here now for 400 years. All plants and animals were "invasive" at some point, that's the goal of any species...to grow and spread.

I'd be curious to know how many of our "native" bee species hitched a ride over here before we started writing things down in books.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
          Love how the media said in other Countries they kill 50 people each year!!!

I had to shake my head...Let me google how many people die here each year from bee stings.. I bet it's more than 50

between 58 and 62 in the USA.. Less than I thought.
          Don’t forget most of those bee sting deaths gonna be counted as Corona...

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
            Is there any time frame where a non-indigenous species becomes considered as native? Yes Honeybees were brought to North America but they've been here now for 400 years. All plants and animals were "invasive" at some point, that's the goal of any species...to grow and spread.

I'd be curious to know how many of our "native" bee species hitched a ride over here before we started writing things down in books.
            So when Domestic and exotic sheep eliminate Bighorn sheep, we should relabel sheep, goats etc native? Or when pheasants(what we are have done) eventually wipeout Lessor Prairie chicken etc.

Basically what you are advocating.
            Last edited by Texans42; 05-04-2020, 12:59 PM.

Comment

We’ve reached level 5 of jumanji in 2020.

Comment

The world is flat . .

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                  So when Domestic and exotic sheep eliminate Bighorn sheep, we should relabel sheep, goats etc native? Or when pheasants(what we are have done) eventually wipeout Lessor Prairie chicken etc.

Basically what you are advocating.
                  After they've been here for 400-500 years?...yeah, maybe. I wasn't necessarily advocating for it, rather I was posing a food for thought question. There were a few comments dismissing the honeybee as an invasive species and I was simply highlighting that most, if not all, species establish their "native" habitat by invading it at some point. We've just drawn arbitrary lines in the sand as to what we classify as native.
                  Last edited by JonBoy; 05-04-2020, 02:08 PM.

Comment

That murder hornet sounds and looks like a bad witch! Terrible news for the beekeepers too, and it can stay up in the PNW with Sasquatch!

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                      Bees have found a way to kill them. They create a ball of heat by covering the hornet, vibrating, and basically burn the hornet to death since a bee can take more heat.
                      Bee's in asia have but those over here might be SOL until they can figure that out lol

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                          Bee's in asia have but those over here might be SOL until they can figure that out lol
                          They better be quick learners!

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                            Don’t forget most of those bee sting deaths gonna be counted as Corona...

Nah, they need to hype this since the Rona didn’t keep us inside enough. Might need the run on toilet paper- a swarm of those might just scare the **** out of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                              After they've been here for 400-500 years?...yeah, maybe. I wasn't necessarily advocating for it, rather I was posing a food for thought question. There were a few comments dismissing the honeybee as an invasive species and I was simply highlighting that most, if not all, species establish their "native" habitat by invading it at some point. We've just drawn arbitrary lines in the sand as to what we classify as native.
                              400 years isn’t much of evolutional time frame, infact it’s a needle point measurement on a mile. The example you are looking for 100000’s of years, where natural flora evolves with the animal/insect etc.

What did the Europeans bring with them to eat? How many islands and lands did the Europeans dump domestic live stock for further lay over food ? Yes sheep, goats, hogs etc they have been here for a long time.

Europeans bees(honey or wool-carder) in general are an invasion species, but people dismiss it as such due to honey production and ignorance to its relationship to the native flora here in the US. Lazy arse pollinators compared to native.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                                400 years isn’t much of evolutional time frame, infact it’s a needle point measurement on a mile. The example you are looking for 100000’s of years, where natural flora evolves with the animal/insect etc.

What did the Europeans bring with them to eat? How many islands and lands did the Europeans dump domestic live stock for further lay over food ? Yes sheep, goats, hogs etc they have been here for a long time.

Europeans bees(honey or wool-carder) in general are an invasion species, but people dismiss it as such due to honey production and ignorance to its relationship to the native flora here in the US. Lazy arse pollinators compared to native.
                                As inefficient as they may be honey bees make up for their efficiency with range and sheer numbers. As an example, a single Mason bee pollinates 20X better than a single honey bee, but honey bees cover 2700X the area with 50,000 members per hive.

Either way, for the sake of the honey bee, that the murder hornet doesn't land yet another punch to the honey bee's population. Dealing with varroa, neonics has already proven to be more than they can handle.
                                Last edited by JonBoy; 05-04-2020, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X