Brakes on Truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brakes on Truck?

Im not the most educated on automotive mechanical stuff but lets see if someone can help me out here.

I took my truck in back in November and asked them while they had it to look at the brakes because I was beginning to get some wobble from what felt like the rear. They told me everything looked good at this time.

Fast forward to today, I drop it off for an oil change and inspection and ask them to take a look at the brakes again and explain I'm still getting the same wobble. They call me back and say its time for new pads in the front (completely understandable) and that I will need new pads and rotors in the back because they wont be able to machine the rear rotors anymore.

4 months ago I asked them to look at the brakes specifically so I didn't get in a position to have to replace the rotors again. Could it be normal to go from everything looking good to needing not only pads but rotors as well in the span of around 5,000 miles or are they trying to rip me off.

Here's to kicker, they replaced my pads and rotors on all 4 wheels roughly 29-30k miles ago. When they replaced them I was told I had a 2 year / 24,000 mile warranty on that work. This puts their brake inspection from last November (5k miles ago) right around the 24k mile warranty limit. I am going to dig through all my receipts to verify mileage at previous visits. If those repairs were still under warranty at that time and now I am needing new rotors I'm going to be making some phone calls to some higher ups.

Where did you take it to ?

Comment

That sounds fishy. Definitely follow up and see if they will honor your warranty based on their "inspection" at the last check.

Obviously, brake wear depends entirely on how hard those 5,000 miles were on your brakes. Was it nearly all highway or did you spend a good number of those miles in bumper-to-bumper traffic?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fangman View Post
        Where did you take it to ?
        I'll reserve naming the place until people say this is BS. If not BS I dont see the need to potentially bad mouth a place.

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
        That sounds fishy. Definitely follow up and see if they will honor your warranty based on their "inspection" at the last check.

Obviously, brake wear depends entirely on how hard those 5,000 miles were on your brakes. Was it nearly all highway or did you spend a good number of those miles in bumper-to-bumper traffic?
        I don't spend hardly anytime in what I would call bumper to bumper traffic but I don't put a ton of long distance highway miles on my truck anymore either.

Is it reasonable to go from everything looks good to "your rear rotors are not machinable" in 5,000 average miles?

Comment

I've found places like that use cheap azz parts to maximize their margins. I either have my mechanic do them or I do them myself if I have the time so I can use better quality pads/rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
            I'll reserve naming the place until people say this is BS. If not BS I dont see the need to potentially bad mouth a place.

I don't spend hardly anytime in what I would call bumper to bumper traffic but I don't put a ton of long distance highway miles on my truck anymore either.

Is it reasonable to go from everything looks good to "your rear rotors are not machinable" in 5,000 average miles?
            Not really, unless they were borderline at the previous time.

Comment

If they replaced pads and rotors 30k miles ago there is no way you should be under min spec to turn the rotors. As far as the inspection being within the warranty period in a general brake inspection they are going to be looking at pads not micing the rotors so I dont think that one is going to fly, especially 4 months ago.

Comment

Not a mechanic but you shouldn't need to replace brake pads every 30k.

Comment

For rotors,it's as simple as measuring the lowest spot with a caliper set. Compare it too the min thickness stamped on the rotor. If the rotor is warped and has runout exceeding the allowable material to be removed, then its scrap. We allowed brake linings to go until measured 3mm. Just ask for the math, guarantee you no one measured anything.
                  ASE master
                  Ford master
                  15yrs experience

Comment

I have seen repeat rear brakes wearing out prematurely from two footed drivers. You can tell by wear marks on the left side of brake pedal. That left foot is always applying the brake slightly.

Comment

Take it to another place for an inspection.

Comment

I just replaced the brakes and rotors on my Dodge and its pretty easy to do. Took me 1.5 hrs to do my 2009 dodge front brakes and rotors and Im no mechanic. I guarantee there is a youtube video out there for your truck.

What are they trying to charge you to replace your rotors? Mine were $70 per rotor brand new at Autozone.

Comment

Originally posted by longstride View Post
                          For rotors,it's as simple as measuring the lowest spot with a caliper set. Compare it too the min thickness stamped on the rotor. If the rotor is warped and has runout exceeding the allowable material to be removed, then its scrap. We allowed brake linings to go until measured 3mm. Just ask for the math, guarantee you no one measured anything.
                          ASE master
                          Ford master
                          15yrs experience
                          I'm going to agree with this

Comment

can always take one wheel off and measure your self. There's usually a min. thickness value stamped on the rotor hub, go by that.
                            I know this isn't the place to vent a little but its why I do my own brake jobs, it is a little work but saves me a LOT of money, time permitting. I just don't trust shops to do them. This past week, did front brakes on my car and saved $500+, and used new rotors, not machining the old ones.
                            Good luck.

Comment

Most of the newer ones from O'Reilly, Auto Zone etc. are made to be used then replaced, not machined and used again (read CHEAP0). They probably replaced your rotors with the cheapest ones they could find. You still should get more mileage than that though. Especially with mostly highway miles. Unless, your rear brake calipers are staying partially engaged (happened to my Dad) he was going through Rotors and pads about every 15-20k.

Comment

Working...
                              X