No announcement yet.

Recovered bullets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I keep the ones I can easily find. I have a jar at the ranch I toss them all in. Pretty cool to see how they perform etc.

Comment

I have been doing that since I was a kid! lol it's cool to see how they work

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
        Hunter I took from West Virginia wanted a “wild Texas boar hog” while staying the weekend. I got her a pig for the wall and while caping it the bullet just hit my boot. It was in the dirt on opposite side!
        62g federal fusion in .223
        Great bullet performance. Those big hogs aren't exactly looking for a place to drop dead.

Comment

I've got two 470 nitro 500 grain solids taken out of an elephants brain

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
            Before and after of a 165 grain nosler ballistic tip from my sons 308 found in the skin on the off side shoulder of the axis buck my son shot.
            Excellent, love the pic !!

Comment

[ATTACH]993661[/ATTACH][ATTACH]993660[/ATTACH]

Comment

I've found a couple. The only one I've kept is a 140 gr. Hornady BTSP out of a deer I killed several years ago. Heck, I can't even remember what deer it was. Most, if not all, have been complete pass throughs though. Once I started using Barnes bullets I haven't found any. The same with Accubonds and Sciroccos. They all seem to blow through things.

Comment

Found the barnes muzzleloader sabbot laying on the ground at the impact (passthrough find)
                  Other is a 6.5 grendel sst

I also have the bullet from my first deer somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by BW96; 02-27-2020, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Here's that .22mag bullet I was talkin about. It's kind of surprising it's still as intact as it is given the name "TNT" which doesn't seem to be very fitting. It probably weighs the same as it did when it was still seated in the casing.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I've recovered and few and kept them around--

300 RUM- 150gr Swift Scirocco II, off side of a Coues Buck, 200 yard front shot, found underneath skin on back ham

.50 Maxi-Hunter- off side shoulder of large OK whitetail, 75 yard shot

.50 Harvester Sabertooth- off side shoulder of cow elk, 100 yard shot, Colorado

10mm Hornady 200gr XTP- off side shoulder whitetail buck, 25 yard shot

Never recovered a Barnes (10-12 animals all pass through) or a Hornady ELDM/Amax (several pass throughs and several somewhere in the chest cavity)

Have one kill with a Berger and one with a Blackjack, both appeared to be 'as advertised' with 2-3" penetration and then rapid expansion (large hog and aoudad ram)

Comment

I used to have a Hornady 52gr BTHP I found while skinning a big raccoon but I don't know what ever happened to it. I've lost or misplaced most bullets I've found.

I've found a bunch of pieces of v-max bullets and things like that and never even bothered saving those.
                        Last edited by okrattler; 02-28-2020, 12:11 PM.

Comment

While I was securing all the teeth back in this skull I kept hearing something rattling around. I was finally able to shake it out and found my .223 Hornady Superformance Varmint bullet.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I think it’s cool when I find em
                            Attached Files

Comment

What's the best way to recover bullets instead of finding one every now and again while skinning a critter? I've always heard soaking old magazines in water and shooting them is a good way to tell how a bullet will react when they hit a live target but I don't know.

Comment

I cut the slug out of my brothers buck this year on the opposite shoulder. Asked him what the knot was and he didn’t know. Felt of it and then sliced the skin and popped it out. He was using a 6.5 creedmore.

Comment

Working...
                                X