No announcement yet.

Wheat pennies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buffalo nickles with visible date are about the rarest circulated coins out there because they were so soft.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      Buffalo nickles with visible date are about the rarest circulated coins out there because they were so soft.
      Try finding a 1916-1924 quarter with a readable date. Even most of the ones I see dug up from old sites have the date worn off.

Comment

I have a few in my penny side table and an envelope of them somewhere..

Comment

A couple years ago I got a 1944 Nickel out of a change machine at HEB. It’s made of Steel. Probably not worth much but I put it in my small pile of “things that may be worth something one day”.

Comment

I have three big jars of change I want to dig through now.

Comment

Originally posted by lilavidhunter View Post
              A couple years ago I got a 1944 Nickel out of a change machine at HEB. It’s made of Steel. Probably not worth much but I put it in my small pile of “things that may be worth something one day”.
              If you have a 1944 nickel made of steel it would be worth a LOT.

From mid 1942-1945 they were made of 35% silver because nickel was needed for the war effort. Same reason 1943 cents were made of steel...they needed the copper. From 1944-1946 a lot of spent shell cases were recycled and turned into pennies.

Comment

I got a 1916 in change a few weeks back
                Oldest I have found

Comment

While tilling in the garden I found a 1859 half dime. I didn't know they existed. It has a bent edge and hole in it so the value is minimal. I put it up somewhere and it is real safe because I can't find it.

Comment

I need to get more knowledgeable about this stuff. Especially since I'm already digging through change anyway I might as well know something about it so I somewhat know what I'm looking at besides the obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                      If you have a 1944 nickel made of steel it would be worth a LOT.

From mid 1942-1945 they were made of 35% silver because nickel was needed for the war effort. Same reason 1943 cents were made of steel...they needed the copper. From 1944-1946 a lot of spent shell cases were recycled and turned into pennies.
                      I’m gonna get it and I’ll take a picture of it.

Comment

I save them. And nickels. And any other weird coins.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                          Really...thinking ive got some?

Comment

I'm gonna dig some of my coins out of storage and take a look at them. I have some my great grandpa had but I've never seen any others like them. Don't know anything about them.

Comment

Man, i need to pay more attention.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lilavidhunter View Post

I’m gonna get it and I’ll take a picture of it.
                                I hope you found a 1944 nickel struck on a steel cent planchet. Very few have been found and they are quite valuable.

Comment

Working...
                                X