Advice for Richland Creek postcard duck hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for Richland Creek postcard duck hunt

As a total newby duck hunter any and all advice is welcome for that specific area.
    I've seen the video that TWPD has about the area but other things I'm concerned about are what would actually work for a minimum investment?
    For example--I have waders but do I have to have a ''blind"? How about a marsh stool and just be still? I have a dozen decoys and have been practicing my "duck whistle" as advised from a previous post to do instead of call. I still pretty much suck at calling still.
    Do they let you drive within a close distance to your assigned area to hunt? Or will I have to hoof it from the camping area? How about my hunting bicycle instead?
    I have a boat-will I need it? And I've been 'practicing' on the ducks at the local lakes with some success. Actually more practice than hunting and running around on the boat exploring.

Any and all opinions and advice are welcome.

Many thanks.

You must bring waders. There is no need for a blind. Just find some cover and use a marsh stool. That is what I've done in the past.
    One or two dozen is enough, try to call as little as possible. Just the occasional whistle.
    Normally you will drive to your spot Friday after orientation, do your setup. on hunting day, just leave your truck in the "parking area" and walk to your setup.
    Really no need for a boat, most of the area has less a foot or so of water. Just be aware of the deep areas in your compartment.

Have fun. When are you going?.

Comment

Drawn for the last 3 days of duck season. I'm really fairly excited about it.

Comment

They are going to put a bunch of ping pong balls in a bucket with numbers on them

Each group draws and then whichever has #1 gets first choice of hunt areas, then #2 then#3 and so on

Set up the first day, then start hunting the following day through end date

At least that is what the manager told me when I was at the deer hunt last month

Seems like he said there was an estimated 30K ducks then from their survey

Comment

As others have said there is no need for a blind. There is ample vegetation there for concealment. Average water depth of 12 to 18 inches. You can park fairly close to your assigned area. Its a great hunt and lots of ducks. I drew a hunt there also and have hunted it many times.

Comment

My advice is apply for deer hunting next year. Ducks taste like mud. LOL.

In all seriousness, good luck! I don’t duck hunt so have no advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
              My advice is apply for deer hunting next year. Ducks taste like mud. LOL.

In all seriousness, good luck! I don’t duck hunt so have no advice.
              Hang the birds at 55 degrees for three or four days. Pluck and gut (save heart, gizzards and liver). Part out bird. Salt breasts and leave in fridge for a day or two...or three depending on how salty you want it. heat duck fat in skillet. Place breasts in skillet skin side down and cook until the skin is crispy. Turn and cook until rare or medium rare. You may not like duck. It is sort of an acquired taste. But this gives it the best fighting chance.

You can confit the legs/thighs. They come out crispy and tender.

If the fat on the carcass is yellow, trim it. Add small amount of water to a skillet, cook fat until the remainder is well fried and the water has been cooked off. Strain fat and store in fridge for 1-6 months. Use the fat in eggs and other items.

It may still taste muddy to you. More so than ungulates, they take on the tastes of what they eat. Greys that eat seeds and such taste excellent. Greys that are on invertebrates, sausage with a lot of hog thrown in. Pintails are exclusively seed eaters so you can count on their fat being good. Mallards are mostly seed eaters but they can stray to the dark side.

To the original OP, I am hunting there the weekend before you. I'll try to remember to post observations when I get back.

Comment

Get a MoJo or two. I used two MoJos and about four dozen decoys. I just stood in some of the vegetation and did not need a blind or boat. PM me if you want more info about camping or the hunt.

Comment

Was out there for the first weekend hunt. Good info above. Didn't use a blind, just set chairs in the brush and banged away. LOTS of birds. We shot limits both days. We were somewhat picky and passed on shovelers and tried to focus on big ducks.

Was amazed at the variety. We shot greenwings, mallards, pintail, redhead, ringneck, gadwall, wigeon and of course, several shovelers. I wouldn't over call, just let them work the decoys. With that number of birds and shooting at other locations, birds moved all morning.

Comment

I hunt there pretty often.

My best advise is whatever compartment you draw hunt right in the middle of it. Hunker down low In the water or in the brush. A lawn chair works pretty good.

Some compartments if you are standing up your the tallest thing out there. For some reason the birds always seem to travel through the middle of the compartments.

On those busy hunts I’ve had really good luck not taking any decoys or calling. Birds get well educated there. Enough will pass by you for a limit.

Comment

Agree with what others have said. I wouldn't take a seat personally but I am youngish. I much prefer to be on my knees. Gets you lower when cover is limited. When I hunted there a couple a years ago it was before it was draw only. Lots of trucks were in line super early. We just picked a spot in the dark away other folks. Ducks only really decoyed at first light. Then we just adjusted to where they were preferring to fly and shot a 3 man limit pass shooting.

Comment

Working...
                      X