Big Thicket???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Thicket???

Has anybody ever hunted any parts of the Big Thicket? I see where there is several places you can hunt for free, and a few are just a few miles from my house so this is a plus...any body ever had or heard of anyone having luck??

I have hunted the big thicket now for three years. I have had some success but its really just how much hunting you have to do to see an animal in range.

Comment

I got lost in there many years ago. Wasn't used to walking through that thick stuff and kept getting turned around.
      We saw several deer but most of them were on the dirt rd's while walking out

Comment

i hunted there a few years ago and saw lots of hogs beforethe season started and but when bow season kicked off i saw nothing but skeeters

Comment

yeah, went and checked out the Beaumont Unit because it's rally close to the house, thought i'd get lucky with some land I could easily go to, but with access only by boat and it being super thick I don't know if it's worth it, they said last year out of 450 trips only 29 deer were harvested, saw lots of rubs, just don't know if I'm that desperate lol especially only being able to get there by boat..

Comment

I've hunted it for 20+ years. The hunting is different than most people are use to. I kill something every year. I've killed some nice bucks and seen better ones. I always get at least one big fat doe. Hogs, I get tired of dragging them out!

Hunting in the big thicket is work! If you don't love the challenge of the hunt, you won't like it. It's thick, wet with snakes and skeeters everywhere!

Occasionally I will run into other hunters. I haven't had another hunter walk up on me in years while i'm hunting. That could change this evening but it's just part of it. You have to hunt where others don't!

At 9:00 this morning I had a mature 8 come within 30yds, legal deer. I just couldn't get off an ethical shot. There are plenty of animals there for the taking. It's just alot of work. But once you are familiar with it, you will love it!

It's free, It's 2 miles from my bed to my tree stand, and an abundance of game! What's not to love!

If you decide to try it, one word of advice... buy a GPS, and a compass. Every year a few hunters get lost and have to spend the night there. I can imagine that wouldn't be very fun.

Comment

Anyone who doesn't have a place to hunt, this is pretty good hunting. If someone's interested, I could point you in the right direction. I'm off the next 2 weeks. I plan to hunt whenever possible.

I'm a single father, raising two kids so my time is still somewhat limited between school functions, drivers ed and chauffering. I'll do what I can to help you out.

There are several different units, some you can drive to, others accessible only by boat.
              I hunt one that you can drive in to. If anyones interested PM me.

Comment

Where is the Big Thicket exactly??? Never heard this term...

Comment

There are about 5 different units from north of Beaumont to south of Jasper, then west toward Saratoga. Google it! It will explain more. I mainly hunt the Jack Gore unit.

Comment

Baygall PM sent

Comment

Building a house right now in the "Big L" and should be finished in mid Nov.

Right now I am hunting over off 87....might have to start looking at the Thicket for some close to home hunting. I have always wanted to see if there were any ducks back in there!

I have heard it was some work......but if its easy, it aint huntin!!

Comment

Working...
                      X