Where can I shoot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where can I shoot?

Just moved here a couple months ago from Illinois and I'm getting into bowhunting. I live in an apt in the north Fort Worth area and there are several huge open fields around. I have called the cop shop to ask and I have tracked down a police officer to ask what kind of restrictions there are with shooting a bow at a target in a somewhat residential area and they just say "it's probably just like the dove hunting laws, gotta be on 10 acres and can't be less than 150 feet (I think) from the street". But nobody seems to know for sure. I'm having a hard time understanding why they would be as strict on shooting a bow as they would a shotgun. Does anyone know if it will be legal to shoot in these wide open fields outside my apartment? Also, will I need the archery stamp or any sort of license to do so?

There is a new archery range somewhere North of Ft Worth, I think somewhere around Cabelas. A while back there was a lot of messages on the board about it, maybe someone will speak up.

Comment

Cowtown bowmen is off of loop 820 & silvercreek rd. individual/family membership is $55 ( prorated now until end of year when you renew) they have range to 50 yds. & 3d course. You can go to the website or Smithfield archery on Beach st. for membership. ( Smithfield also has 20 yd.indoor range). The one by Cabelas is Cinnamon Creek quite a bit more$ but i hear it's really nice.

Comment

so is it illegal to shoot at a target in a field that's probably least 300 yards long?

Comment

You need to check w/ the city in which you live, some cities will will consider it discharging a weapon in city limits but some have no ordinance against it. I would be willing to bet if you are in Ft.Worth city limits it's prob. illegal & you could get a ticket, but again call the city and ask if there is an ordinance against shooting a bow in city limits.

Comment

Tried to delete post. Same info in post above.
            Last edited by Robert58; 10-14-2009, 05:09 PM.

Comment

kleinr,

I just moved back to Texas after 6 years in southern Illinois. Grew up here, but if all the folks here knew how good the bowhunting was in Illinois, they'd either quit hunting down here or move to Illinois. Not to dampen your spirits, but what we have down here just doesn't compare I'm afriad...

As for shooting, that's going to be different for you too. I learned that in most of Illinois (as soon as you got clear of Chicago), folks were very understanding and used to hunters being hunters. Private property rights are viewed completely differently too. Private property is sacred down here. Up there, a vacant lot is almost considered "community property."

I have a brother who lives near Austin (Cedar Park) and he found out the hard way (by shooting in a vacant lot) that the city passed an ordinance against shooting any weapons in the city limits, including bows and arrows. Sucks for him. He'd be breaking the law by shooting a bow in his own back yard! Never thought I'd see it come to this in Texas, but it has. Lots and lots of "city folk" here. In Illinois, pretty well all the city folk live in Chicago and the rest of the state is good old rural folk.

So in a nutshell, I'd join Cowtown and shoot there if I were you. Or sooner or later you will be answering to a police officer or the landowner. Besides, if I had a place like Cowtown nearby, I'd be thrilled. So count your blessings...

There are lots of things I love about my home state of Texas, but I have to admit that it's a lot better being a sportsman in Illinois. May sound weird since folks down here have convinced themselves of how good they have it, but they just haven't lived anyplace like Illinois.

John.
              Last edited by Limbwalker; 10-14-2009, 08:22 PM.

Comment

thanks for all the info

limbwalker,
                Where were you in Southern Illinois? Where did you hunt? I lived in Fairview Heights and moved to Trenton/New Baden area when I was about 12. I agree, there is some great hunting up there. I must say I'm pretty surprised that it's better than the game down here though. All of my buddies from home seem to think the exact opposite. And yes, to me, it's not uncommon to shoot a bow in a backyard, frontyard or the open lot next to your house, and the average Southern Illinois-an couldn't care less. I guess I'll look into Cowtown

Comment

Cinnamon Creek Ranch up in Roanoake, 170 and old Denton road.
                  Lots of static targets and three diff 3-d courses to shoot alos.

Comment

There is also Quail Creek Shooting Range. The archery range is new there. I haven't shot my bow there yet. I have shot rifles there before. They are located at the west side of I35W and 1171. It is north of Texas Motor Speedway. Their phone # is 940-648-3356. They have a website too. I can't post it yet because I don't have enought posts yet. Search for it and you'll find it.

Comment

Just had it confirmed today that there are no city ordinances against shooting a bow within city limits. The email was forwarded on to the FTW police department who considers the issue to fall under the Dove hunting laws. You have to be on 10 acres and you must be 150 ft from the nearest residential/business area. I emailed back and asked how target shooting with a bow is comparable to shooting a gun at an uncontrollable animal so we'll see what they say.....

I'm sure all of these ranges you guys are telling me about are really nice but I just can't justify spending money to shoot my bow when I can do it for free right outside my apartment. Guess I'm kind of cheap

Comment

I'm in a house (Ft Worth), and I've been practicing in my front yard, shooting between my house and the neighbor, sometimes standing in the street... I guess I better check with 5-0 just to confirm I'm still OK... Neighbors don't care... so far... Good luck finding a free place. I was thinking I could go down to the neighborhood 'greenbelt' to shoot there too... now I'm wondering.

Comment

I use my house in NE FW and will open the gate and shoot the target in back yard from front yard or diagonal across back yard. friends with most on block and my next door neighbor smokes dope so I'm sure he won't be callin cops anytime soon. and my neighbor on the other side of him bowhunts too and practices in the back yard.

Comment

Working...
                          X