first trip to the grass lands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first trip to the grass lands

I made my first scouting trip to the grasslands. I must say thank god for the map. I made it through 1/2 the property. It is a pretty piece of property I wish they had newer signs posted. I did see a big nanny goat and fawn. I would like to know if it is common to not see a bunch of sign in the grasslands? I did see some sign but it is still very dry even after the rain which makes it hard anyway. Is there anywhere I can research the deer that have been taken over the years? either way I will be hunting there this year.

If there is anyone hunting on their own and would like to get together to scout let me know. I need to learn the area as much as I can. Thanks in advance.

They do not keep record specifically for the grasslands, so finding harvest records for individual units will be nearly impossible. If you have the map, I would say look at the units that have features like camping and horseback riding and know they are gonna be very crowded. Might look for some smaller, off the beaten path units, and drive some of the roads that surround them to find access points , and potential routes to/from stand sites. Also do not leave anything out there you arent willing to give away, cause it might grow some legs. There are a lot of deer up there, and getting on them isnt that difficult if you are willing to try a little harder than the next guy. Good Luck, and we might cross paths at some point.

Comment

thanks for the advice. I did get a chance to see the horse ridding that goes on out there. I will be out next weekend to hit the other half of the property. I like to isolated if possiable.

Comment

I have never shot a deer at L.B.J. but I have been very fortunate to see several and even a bobcat. The best thang they ever did was get rid of rifle hunting. Safey is alot better now.

Comment

Working...
        X