Can you kill does on LBJ Grasslands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you kill does on LBJ Grasslands?

I am new to TX...and this may be a dumb question...but I am still confused as to if I can or cannot kill a doe on LBJ north of Decatur...I bowhunt only and this is where I have been scouting and went today...I guess I still concerned on if I can kill a doe during archery season or not...this no doe permit and "doe days" has got me all turned around...someone please clarify please (I just moved here (TX) back in February...still trying to get all my facts straight)
    Last edited by PastorIke; 10-03-2009, 08:12 PM.

I was wondering the same thing i was hunting there today a passed up a good sized doe because i was not sure about if could take one on lbj or not.

Comment

Per the Texas Hunting Annual. On USFS lands (LBJ Grasslands) anterless may be taken without a permit, but only during Archery and Youth only seasons, and from Nov. 26-29. Must be a special Thanksgiving Doe hunting weekend since they are not giving Doe permits for the General season this year.

Robert

Comment

Thanks Robert...I was thinking that was the way it was, but they kind of wrote these things weird to me...I only bowhunt so no big deal...too bad for gun hunters wanting to fill the freezer with doe meat...so i guess that means a bow hunter could shoot a doe a day if he wanted to (until November 2nd?)
        Last edited by PastorIke; 10-03-2009, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Yea. I was hoping to draw a permit for the General Season so I could get a Doe with my T/C Hawken. Then they had to start the Antler restrictions this year. It's hard enough to get any Buck up there let along a 13" er.

Robert

Comment

Not a doe per day. 2 does total from Wise county. And if you take them both during archery season, no need to worry about doe days during general season. Next slick head that presents a good shot, and if you want it, then take it!! Good Luck!!

Comment

Need Answers??

Call them. 940 627-5475.

Comment

Actually, you should go buy the USFS Office on HYWY 287 and buy a map.

Robert

Comment

What I meant to say is bowhunter could shoot a doe anyday he wanted to (during the archery season) Thanks for all the input guys. I did go down to the office a few months ago and bought a map and asked alot of questions. I was really suprised there was so much public land that is huntable in Texas...forget a deer lease for thousands a year!!! I love just taking the family out there and walking around...I have a 3 year old and when I say deer or woods he runs off to the closet to get his boots to head out!!! Thanks again for all the help!!! And bowhutntxn...I will take your advice and shoot the next fat and mature "slick head" I see out there!!! :-)

Comment

Take a doe

Just don't bait or hunt over bait. Several hunters on the LBJ were taken by surprise early Saturday morning. Bows were confiscated and citations were issued.

A few bad apples ruined hunts for several others nearby.

Comment

Yeah I had asked that question when I was down at the district office...I lived in Tennessee for years and then Missouri for 7 before moving here and neither state lets you bait or hunt over a feeder so "feeder hunting" is kind of new and silly to me anyways...I want the game to have a fair fighting chance...thanks for the reminder though!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X