Who Was The Old Bowhunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who Was The Old Bowhunter

Who used a piece of his own heart after surgery to catch a catfish?

WTH are you talking about Mike????? [emoji15][emoji15]

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Tred Barta?

pray for rain

Comment

Man I'm in for this one.

Talk about the ultimate utilitarian.

Comment

The Bowhunter in question was "Toad" Smith.

"The late Otis "Toad" Smith from Sibley, Iowa, probably was one of the few men who ever caught a catfish with his own heart. After a very serious heart operation where a portion of Smith's heart was cut away, Smith went fishing for catfish, one of his favorite pastimes. Smith had told the doctors before the operation that he wanted to keep whatever portion of his heart they cut out. He said his heart belonged to him.

Smith kept the part of his heart in a glass jar filled with formaldehyde. One day after he came home from the hospital, he looked at the piece of his heart in that jar and decided his heart should perform some useful function. He poured the formaldehyde out and replaced the liquid with Fish Formula's Catfish Scent. The first time he went fishing, he took a piece of his old heart from the jar, baited it on a hook and cast it out into the river. In just a few minutes, he caught an 8-pound catfish. "
          Last edited by Phillip Fields; 03-07-2020, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Sounds like a heck of a guy to share a campfire with.

pray for rain

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
              The Bowhunter in question was "Toad" Smith.

"The late Otis "Toad" Smith from Sibley, Iowa, probably was one of the few men who ever caught a catfish with his own heart. After a very serious heart operation where a portion of Smith's heart was cut away, Smith went fishing for catfish, one of his favorite pastimes. Smith had told the doctors before the operation that he wanted to keep whatever portion of his heart they cut out. He said his heart belonged to him.

Smith kept the part of his heart in a glass jar filled with formaldehyde. One day after he came home from the hospital, he looked at the piece of his heart in that jar and decided his heart should perform some useful function. He poured the formaldehyde out and replaced the liquid with Fish Formula's Catfish Scent. The first time he went fishing, he took a piece of his old heart from the jar, baited it on a hook and cast it out into the river. In just a few minutes, he caught an 8-pound catfish. "

That’s him!

He wrote a few magazine articles. Sounds like a redneck’s redneck.

Trying to talk my BIL to use his appendix as bait.

Comment

dang talk about a billy ******!!!!! would love to drink a few with him and hear his stories

Comment

That's probably one of the coolest stories I've ever read

Comment

Wow!!! Amazing story!

Comment

Now that is just plain awesomeness..

Comment

Wow! My heart goes out to him.
                        In a manner of speaking of course.

Comment

They don't let you keep anything anymore. I tried. Say it's a biohazard and by law they have to properly dispose of.

Gary

Comment

Cool story. I bought a snowmobile in Sibley, Iowa in 1974. Don't remember the town but do remember the sort of folks living in that part of the country.

Comment

There’s a guy up in Montana that accidentally cut off one of his fingers an wore the bones around his neck as a necklace. Can’t remember his name but I think he owned Selway quivers or maybe worked there.

Comment

Working...
                              X