No announcement yet.

2020 Chicken Raising Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free range guys, how far do your chickens range from the coop? I had some chickens that barely get 20 yards from the coop and brought some new ones in and they like to visit the neighbors. Is there a way to keep them closer without building a fence or run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      ...and then there were three.

Courtney and I finished up the coop/nesting box this afternoon and put the chickens in to get used to it. I came inside for a few minutes and heard Hannah scream. I went out to find that my wife had left the gate open, dogs got out and promptly attacked Harriet, everybody's favorite chicken.
      You know what to do with that chicken, right?

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
        Free range guys, how far do your chickens range from the coop? I had some chickens that barely get 20 yards from the coop and brought some new ones in and they like to visit the neighbors. Is there a way to keep them closer without building a fence or run?

Do you have a rooster?
        I have 30 acres and they probably never get more than 300’ from the coop.

Comment

We got 13. A mix of Cuckoo Maran, Blue Australorp. Cinnamon Queen,
          Barred Rock, and Welsummer,

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
            Do you have a rooster?
            I have 30 acres and they probably never get more than 300’ from the coop.

No rooster

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
              No rooster

A rooster keeps them all together. He won’t let the hens venture off.
              It’s best to raise hens and the rooster or roosters together as chicks.
              I have had roosters kill hens when added to an existing flock.
              I no longer keep roosters, because I have plenty of room for the hens to roam.

If you decide to add a rooster, buy a young one.
              Last edited by Rubi513; 03-27-2020, 08:30 PM.

Comment

We have 7 adult birds and just put 4 pullets out with them for the first time tonight. We will see tomorrow what the introduction is like. Love having the eggs and having the kids take care of them.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                    Coincidence.....was watching the video and went to subscribe and I was already subscribed. Y'all have some good stuff.
                    Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      ...and then there were three.

Courtney and I finished up the coop/nesting box this afternoon and put the chickens in to get used to it. I came inside for a few minutes and heard Hannah scream. I went out to find that my wife had left the gate open, dogs got out and promptly attacked Harriet, everybody's favorite chicken.
                      Dang that stinks!

Comment

This was a great video, thanks for posting it. We've had chickens but still liked seeing your setup and learned a few things. Shared the video with my sister who is new to chickens as well.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Comment

We did Rhode island reds growing up. Loved having them

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                            This was a great video, thanks for posting it. We've had chickens but still liked seeing your setup and learned a few things. Shared the video with my sister who is new to chickens as well.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
                            Thanks! Please subscribe! We have plans for more chicken related videos!

Comment

I like neighbors with chickens!!!!

Comment

I’ve had one hen and one rooster for a couple years. Mostly just to watch roam around eating bugs. Yesterday we bought 8 rhode island red chicks. And this past week rebuilt the coop.

Comment

Working...
                                X